Author Topic: Somebody please tell me...  (Read 669 times)

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member
Somebody please tell me...
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:03:25 AM »
How you do it ...

If I get shot, all the other guy needs is 3 hits and my wing is of...

I have to keep pumping bullets into the enemy, empty my guns and cannons, and still no kill...

How...?

BTW : don't blame it on the caliber please, because it happens spit vs spit with same armement

So what am I doing wrong?

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
Re: Somebody please tell me...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:43:03 AM »
only the mg were hiting the plane not the canons solution just shoot canons
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:09:09 AM »
How you do it ...

I have to keep pumping bullets into the enemy, empty my guns and cannons, and still no kill...

How...?

BTW : don't blame it on the caliber please, because it happens spit vs spit with same armement

One easy way to see what you are doing wrong and to get an idea what they might be doing right is to film your combats and review them afterwards.

The "trick" with gunnery is not only to hit your opponent, but to hit consitently in the same area. If you hit him 5 times, but every hit is in a different location, he might (depending on plane and with a bit of luck) even surive 20mm hits that way, because no specific area is damaged enough to do catastrophic damage. However, 3 20mm hits in the exact same spot is most of the time enough to down a fighter. Also some hit locations are more sensitive to damage than others.
Shooting at your guns convergence range also help to bring your opponent down. Especially with wing mounted cannons like the Spit have, shooting well outside convergence range often resulst in hits by only one cannon, or at least both hits not in the same place. Another reason to film your fight: See at what ranges you usually shoot (and hit!) and adjust both convergence as well as your fighting.

And snowey's advice is a good one. You may resort to shooting your Hispano's only, especially when for example flying Spit's with .303 caliber machineguns.

See more about Gunnery Concepts at http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
How you do it ...

How...?

If your hitting , your going to see "hit sprites". these are little explosions ( for lack of a better word) where you are hitting the target. If your not seeing these, your not hitting.

Aiming is one of the hardest things to learn. Some have a natural ability, but the rest of us fight with this for a long time. Most shots fly strait ( gravity pulls them down, so they have an "arc". the bigger the round the bigger the arc), so if your plane is in a turn you have to aim out front of your target so your rounds intersect with their flight. The harder your turning, the more you lead. The other think, as Lusche said is to hit in the same spot. Picture standing in a flower bed with a water hose. If you turn and "spray" across the flower bed the flowers all get hit, but with bunches of little droplets. Now stand still, aim at one flower and "concentrate" your water on it. What happens? you blow the pedals off the stem  :D

Same thing with your aim. If your following a plane through a turn your just plinking him with a bunch of drops or spraying, but if you pull your lead, and ease off the stick a moment and fire a burst, a "pack" of rounds land in one spot and do much more damage. Practice, practice, practice!!! 

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
How you do it ...

How...?

First and foremost, make sure you have V-Sync enabled for your video card. If not, you are likely experiencing "rubber bullet" syndrome.

Read this thread... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,230934.0.html

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 09:58:55 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:10:12 AM »
As mentioned, hitting the other plane with a concentrated burst is important, as is hitting at convergence, and hitting in a particularly vulnerable spot helps too.  Also realize that ballistic effectiveness drops with distance, so bullets have more "killing power" close up and less at longer ranges.  Stretching your convergence point further out does not make your guns more effective at longer range.  It's far better to get in close for a shot, and be in a position to "hose him down" for 1/2 second or so.

By close I mean D200.  Once in a while I'll shoot at D400, and seldom do I shoot as far out as D600.  The only real times I shoot at D600 is on someone I need to "scare" into turning, so I can catch him.  I keep my convergence set at 275, which is the most effective I've found for my style of fighting.  As I close on a potential victim, as the counter switches from D400 to D200, the actual distance is 299 yds.  Allowing for the fact that I'm closing (catching him), and need a second to solidify my aim, my shot distance at that point should be right at my convergence...  This maximizes the effectiveness of my bullets, at a range where they still have plenty of "punch", and the target is plenty big to see and hit.

As for hitting a vulnerable spot, you'll do better when you start to aim at a particular point on a plane, rather than just trying to hit the plane in general.  50 hits scattered across the plane is not as effective as 50 shots in the base of the right wing, for example.  The most vulnerable spot on a fighter is the top of the cockpit (IMO).  So I make the cockpit my primary target.  Knowing that I have a tendancy to hit slightly behind where I want to hit, I try to hit a spot 1/2 way between the cockpit and the prop on the enemy fighter, any time I have the opportunity.

This gives me a pretty high allowance for error on my part.  If I hit my target at that point, or ahead of it, I'll cause an oil leak or kill the engine outright.  If I hit behind that, I kill the pilot with just a few pings, and any further back and I chew his tail off.  If I miss the fuselage entirely, by aiming where I do I open up a good chance of wrecking one of his wing roots, or at worst taking one of his wingtips off.

On bombers try to hit the cockpit, a wing root, an engine, or a wingtip.

MtnMan

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
That is an excellent guide mtnman.  I might have a hope of becoming something other than a terrible shot now.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 12:10:11 PM »
First and foremost, make sure you have V-Sync enabled for your video card. If not, you are likely experiencing "rubber bullet" syndrome.

Read this thread... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,230934.0.html

My regards,

Widewing

Oh my god, that's it, thank you a 1.000.000 times...

I was getting so frustrated :aok :aok :aok

I see in my Nvidiacontrol panel the "Aces High" override?  What does it do?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Oh my god, that's it, thank you a 1.000.000 times...

I was getting so frustrated :aok :aok :aok

I see in my Nvidiacontrol panel the "Aces High" override?  What does it do?

What does V-sync do? In short, in only allows your frame rates to go as high as your monitor refresh rate is at whatever resolution you are running.

On an aside note, when you right click your desktop/properties/settings right under the monitor icon does it say default monitor on XXX video card? Or does it list a specific monitor on XXX video card? If it says default monitor, you need to go to your monitors website and obtain the latest .inf files for your monitor. Doing so will not allow you to run AH or any other game at a resolution that your monitor doesn't support.

I know for sure that having V-sync turned off can cause rubber bullet syndrome, but I'm not sure about having the right .inf files will help in the same way. Either way, it's good to obtain the correct .inf files to save headaches in the future.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
Another thing Barry seeing that I saw you in the Training Arena yesterday. In that arena you CAN NOT damage people, lethality and damage are set very very low to help the training environment. Tough to train someone if they constantly have to reup a healthy plane.
Way back we used to have damage there but the knuclehead "I dont want to follow no rules" group of players made HTC change that and now no more damage.
All other arenas usually have damage on with some exceptions, like Special Events Arena when the Racing league is running races.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54