Author Topic: How I would do the BoB  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Re: How I would do the BoB
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:32:55 AM »
 :aok
Anax,

You're example is similar to old AVA setups. I'd like to see us return to those, maybe run regular setups for two weeks or so between wars.
Good post.

:aok
At the least, it's worth a try now.  What do the CM's say?
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Let's Don't Forget
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
I haven't seen one thing so far that I wouldn't love to see.  After having said that, the sad truth of the matter is on off hours, folks will be charged with milking or side switching or whatever.  To some degree there will be griefers.  I think we can agree that land grab has helped to generate the interest to get the ball rolling.

Now might be the time to do away with the land grab (excuse me, base capture) and shift the focus to destruction of targets.  And I think that when a strat is hit, it should be down for more than 60 minutes.  Time enough for the effects to be felt by the country under attack.  Keep the rounds but don't give points for off peak play.  At the same time, don't admonish anyone for practicing or just exploring the arena, their efforts will be moot  by the time of peak arena play (that is the beauty of using strats as targets, they rebuild themselves).

Imagine, having a huge battle on Thursday (or any other night that doesn't coincide with scheduled events) in which the winner is everyone who participated and the reward is you get to start a new round and maybe receive a tally of damage done in the final 6 to 8 hours of the round.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:41:57 AM by Chilli »

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
That's a wonderful dream Chilli.  Would be nice to see it happen, but in the current game environment/coad it isn't possible.

Still worthy of merit and consideration.  :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Gentlemen,

So far, this thread is a gem. Congratulations Araiguma, excellent post. All contributions so far are excellent and should be seriously considered by AvA Staff as an example of how to balance objectives in this war.

The planeset will be limited for some time, that's is almost certain, so, let's not elaborate in false expectations.

I'm also Mr. "Off Peak", playing from Europe. I feel that it is somewhat unfair to limit the real thing to prime time. Define off-peak and prime time. Number of players logged? Percentage of players in each side? Hard to draw a line here. I say, let's put up with milkrunners. They are a necessary evil. They will evolve, especially if numbers start to expand on less used time schedules.

I believe that our quest, both Axis and Allies, should be on trying to find a balance between the relaxed MA access and the organised, scripted, pre-registered Scenario.

We should concentrate, not only in creating the most accurate historical planeset matchup, but also in representing the true historical objectives of each side at the time. But allowing that, by player and team actions, history may be re-written, and the final results become different of what they were in real life.

Maybe I'm not too wrong wen I say that all Allied player plays to mimic the action of his real life WW2 counterparts...And that all Axis players wish to demonstrate that, if they were in the real thing, could have done better and turn the tide...Am I wrong? Do we all play just for the sake of playing? Don't we all - in different levels, of course - intimately re-enact what happenned 60 years ago? Who hasn't ever imagined himself doing better than Napoleon in those strategy games? Or winning Stalingrad, against all odds?

Great ideas, some of the best I've seen in the last weeks. Keep up the good work.

P.S.: No booing here for ex-Warbirds players. They are most welcome. Warbirds was an excellent school. I'm proud to say that my online sim "life" started with Warbirds 10 or 11 years ago. I was, as I am still, part of 249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast" and, in those days, we had 601 and, with 617 and 15 Sqn, we formed Tangmere Wing, a feared outfit in the arenas, with more than 80 players. Those were our glory days. We moved to AH a long time ago. We're happy. But we will never forget Warbirds. Or Warbirders.

<Salute>
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:08:38 AM by sparow »
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »
Maybe Anaxogoras can get HTC to open another arena...  one dedicated to BoB itself?  His ideas and others from you folks in here would be great if it could be set up on a scheduled or re-occurring basis.
 :salute
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!