Author Topic: Your political stance  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Your political stance
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
With all the political threads going around and the debates over who is what (liberal, conservitive) I thought it might be interesting to learn about some of the more vocal people on the boards here. I'd like to know what you belive your political stance is and in addition to that what it is you do for a living, educational background,  where you grew up, and where you live now. Might be interesting to see how the work you do and where you live translates into how you think about political matters.

I would suppose it might be easier to group it in 6 categories.
1. Liberal
2. Liberal with few conservative ideas
3. Liberal with some conservative ideas
4. Conservative with some liberal ideas
5. Conservative with few liberal ideas
6. Conservative

I'm a 5, grew up in SW Oklahoma, live in Virginia now. I'm an Electronic Technician (military trained) I am retired Coast Guard/Army and now work for Mackay Marine Communications as a bench tech, and field service engineer. I'm currently working on my degree in Electronic Engineering.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your political stance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Hornet,

Kind of a neat idea there but I think for the purposes of the thread you should set the definition of the terms. Too many folks here on this board have different ideas of what liberal and conservative actually mean. Unless there is a set definition for the purpose of the discussion, it's just going to be a name calling session again.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »
http://typology.people-press.org/typology/

From 2005.  Caught my eye.  

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »

Wide

myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »
I'd consider myself to be a #5 as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:40:09 PM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
i'm a anarchist, i can't say were i am because "they" are looking for me.  :noid

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
None of the above.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
gun totin lib.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »
Centrist, sometimes leaning one way or the other depending on the subject at hand
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »

From 2005.  Caught my eye. 
kind of close:

Enterpriser

Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Enterpriser typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Enterprisers represent 9 percent of the American public, and 10 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
As in previous studies conducted in 1987, 1994 and 1999, this extremely partisan Republican group’s politics are driven by a belief in the free enterprise system and social values that reflect a conservative agenda. Enterprisers are also the strongest backers of an assertive foreign policy, which includes nearly unanimous support for the war in Iraq and strong support for such anti-terrorism efforts as the Patriot Act.

Defining Values
Assertive on foreign policy and patriotic; anti-regulation and pro-business; very little support for government help to the poor; strong belief that individuals are responsible for their own well being. Conservative on social issues such as gay marriage, but not much more religious than the nation as a whole. Very satisfied with personal financial situation.

Who They Are
Predominantly white (91%), male (76%) and financially well-off (62% have household incomes of at least $50,000, compared with 40% nationwide). Nearly half (46%) have a college degree, and 77% are married. Nearly a quarter (23%) are themselves military veterans. Only 10% are under age 30.

Lifestyle Notes
59% report having a gun in their homes; 53% trade stocks and bonds in the stock market, and 30% are small business owners – all of which are the highest percentages among typology groups. 48% attend church weekly; 36% attend bible study or prayer group meetings.

2004 Election
Bush 92%, Kerry 1%. Bush’s most reliable supporters (just 4% of Enterprisers did not vote)

Party ID
81% Republican, 18% Independent/No Preference, 1% Democrat (98% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use
Enterprisers follow news about government and politics more closely than any other group, and exhibit the most knowledge about world affairs. The Fox News Channel is their primary source of news (46% cite it as a main source) followed by newspapers (42%) radio (31%) and the internet (26%)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »

From 2005.  Caught my eye.  

Conservative Democrat by that test.  Coincidentally... that is also how I describe myself.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
Well, I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

In short, I'm a libertarian with a strong belief in State's Rights and a conviction that, sadly, today's Federal government has far more power than it was ever intended to hold.

I'm drifting ever closer to the opinion that our present Federal government has become destructive of these ends.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
Well, I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

In short, I'm a libertarian with a strong belief in State's Rights and a conviction that, sadly, today's Federal government has far more power than it was ever intended to hold.

I'm drifting ever closer to the opinion that our present Federal government has become destructive of these ends.

Welcome to the party.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member