Author Topic: rpms and throttle ...  (Read 400 times)

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
rpms and throttle ...
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:07 PM »
This was brought up in the 109 post ... is reducing rpms like feathering the prop ?  If I run out of gas and glide, should I reduce rpms to glide farther ? If so what other advantages / disadavantage to adjusting rpms?

tokenjo

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Re: rpms and throttle ...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
This was brought up in the 109 post ... is reducing rpms like feathering the prop ?

This is as close as you're going to get to feathering.  For constant-speed props, prop pitch is automatically adjusted by the propeller governor.  The prop governor determines the prop pitch needed to maintain a set engine rpm.  The prop-governor manages engine rpm by adjusting pitch which increases or decreases the power required to turn the prop so that the engine (and the prop) rpm remain constant.  So why is this as close to feathering as we'll get in a single-engine fighter?  Read on below.

If I run out of gas and glide, should I reduce rpms to glide farther ? If so what other advantages / disadavantage to adjusting rpms?
Yes you should because it reduces prop drag and therefore maximizes your glide ratio.

With engine out / idle and the RPM set at high, the rotational speed of the prop is now only spun by the oncoming air and not the engine.  Because the rpm begins to get slower without the engine the prop governor tries to reduce the pitch of the blades which usually reduces the load to spin the prop so that it's easier to spin.  The prop governor does this to try and maintain an high rpm.  The trouble is in a windmilling situation because of the physics and relative wind striking the prop, decreasing prop pitch / angle actually increases the relative angle of attack of the prop.  This results in a whole heck of a lot of drag produced by the prop which greatly reduces your glide ratio.

Here are 3 other threads on the topic you might find interesting:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,202353.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,220621.msg2656290.html#msg2656290

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,209624.0.html

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:21:29 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Re: rpms and throttle ...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:18:55 PM »
Reducing RPM's also allows you to get a greater range out of the fuel you have.  To get the best range, you'll need to adjust your manifold pressure along with your RPM settings.  Bring up your clipboard, and go to E6B.  There should be certain Manifold Pressure and RPM values for certain flight settings such as Military Power, Max Cruise, etc that give you the Manifold Pressure/RPM values for those settings.

donkey
2sBlind