Author Topic: So how was Wild Wednesday?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
So how was Wild Wednesday?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2001, 10:56:00 AM »
I can envision 50+ next wed.since Halloween was going on at the same time!  Damn, wish my son's swimming lessons were earlier.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
I had a lot of fun.  I look foreward to next week.

May I offer one suggestion:  In AW's KOTH, we chose a new plane each round, as opposed to sticking with the same type all night (A round's winner chose the plane for the next round.)   This added greater variety to the event.

I feel this would work especially well if bombers were allowed--it might be fun to fly B-26's in 1 round, but I don't think everyone would want to fly them all night.

J_A_B

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
Heck, if we're gonna have a bomber night, especially in the B26 or TBM since they have fixed forward guns, why not have bomber nights as paired nights (pilot/gunner).  You'd have less planes in the air, but it might make for some extra interesting fights!   :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by sling322:
I would really not want to put an alt cap on it because then you open up a whole new can of worms.  There is no way to really prove how high a guy was unless you have his film and not everybody runs film.

<S> all!!

i'd think you could set very very very strong wind levels at certain als) which would pretty much cap alts.

like, 150 mph wind at 17k, 25 mph wind at 18k, 300 mph wind at 19k.. something that would discourage people from going above a ctertain alt and making it miserable to fly in/thru.

just suggestin'
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline skipdallen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
Okay.  No response about Wild Wednesday entertaining a KOTH or working with KOTH.  I'll try a different tack.

Would AH permit a monthly KOTH?  Would daddog be the contact person to arrange a meeting of the minds?

Gooss

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »
I think the point here Skip is that Wild Wednesday is Aces High's version of the KOTH that AW had.  I would much rather keep it the way we have it every week than to make it a monthly deal.  We arent trying to copy AW, but give a little different twist in an effort to offer more events for the player base.

Offline skipdallen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2001, 12:40:00 AM »
Sling,

AW never had a version of KOTH. KOTH was a player event.

I'm not suggesting Wild Wednesday not be weekly.  So, that's not the issue.

In fact, you and I are in agreement.  More events is good.  I'm suggesting more events.  Oh, something along the lines of KOTH.  

Wild Wednesday is Wild Wednesday.  Wild Wednesday is not KOTH. KOTH is KOTH.  More is better.  Like you said. Right?

Who sets that up?

Gooss

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2001, 01:28:00 AM »
Is there really that much differentiation between KOTH and WW? There is some... yeah, but much? And at this point can you say which is better in light of:

a) you're obviously gonna be more comfortable with the event you used to have and...

b) we've only had one WW so far (which you haven't yet even experienced...)

So which is better? What warrants bringing in another *almost* identical event? Do we want two simular events competing for the same player base; diluting both? What exactly would the benefit be - small changes in the odd rule here and there? That's subjective aint it? Again, which way is better? And keeping in mind that the CMs have already expressed their desire to see this thing grow and evolve, might it be better to see what can be made of the WW and shaping its development instead of adding something else that's pretty much just slightly different?

The bottom line is that this is yer basic furball event and we all want it to be as much fun as it can. So you'll see constant tweaks and adjustments until we're all happy. There aint nobody with some kinda agenda like "but dammit... if we have alt caps my boss is gonna toejamcan me". No worries... WW is gonna settle on whatever ends up working for us.

By the way... if we have both events... It's gonna look like pro boxing. KOTH means King of the Hill. Well... that won't mean jack when ya also got a winner of the WW. I'd rather know who the one guy was who took the whole enchilada. No?

I'm going away for the weekend. Creamo is authorized to speak further about this on my behalf.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2001, 05:15:00 AM »
How about "Wild "wednesday" being the cover-all name for a-historical "furball skillz" type events?

I.E. week 1 of the month it's the fighter furball that we've just enjoyed, week 2 would be buffs (I dunno what *that* event should be, not a buffer), week 3 GV's, week 4 maritime and so back in week 1b to fighters?

I mention it only because I *really* enjoyed what we've just had, and want it to do well, but I'm worried that every week may induce "burn out".

Longer term, I'd like to see wild wednesday mirrored to a Euro timing (ducks rotten fruit), and I'm not sure if there's enough Euro's (yet!) to support a weekly fighter comp, although I'm confident that there'd be enough for a monthly run.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
You probably wouldn't need to say "week 1 is fighters, week 2 is buffs, week 3 is GVs"... All ya'd need to do is open up all the choices to the winner and let them decide what's gonna happen in the next week. It's totally possible. What do you guys think... open up the choices to include buffs and gvs and such? Hell... even a massive PT boat battle would be a hoot.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2001, 04:48:00 AM »
I'd rather have a published schedule I can rely on. I mention the buffs and PT boats because I know lots of people like them. I don't, and I'd be pissed if I'd had reserved time for the "fighter night", and found it was PT boats.

YMMV

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
All you have to do in that case Seeker is pay attention to who won the week before and look for a post.  I will always post who won the WW and what they chose to fly the next week.  I am sure the other hosts would be happy to do the same.

Personally, I would not want to mandate what type of plane or vehicle must be flown during what week....I would rather open up the choices to the winners and see where it goes from there.  And hell if Zigrat picks the 109G-10 3 weeks in a row then the rest of you damn well better make sure he doesnt win the 4th week.   ;)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
"All you have to do in that case Seeker is pay attention to who won the week before and look for a post. "

Is there really still any doubt in your mind that I scrutinise these boards every 30 secs for any posting on or about events, Sling?  :)

So I take it you're confiming (should the winner so decide) Buff, GV and Naval wild wednesdays?

While the naval and GV stuff doesn't interest me personaly, I'll be intrigued to see what you come up with for the Buff night (should a winner ever so decide). Would you emphasise the drop, or defense? If it's defense, will you have somebody flying attack?

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
Actually that is up to banana....since he is the boss.  I believe we decided that at this point it would be fighters only, but at some point in the future we may open it up to include bombers or ground vehicles.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Actually that is up to banana....since he is the boss. I believe we decided that at this point it would be fighters only, but at some point in the future we may open it up to include bombers or ground vehicles.

Actually, the "boss" for Weekly events is daddog. I'm daddog's boss.  :)

So, ask daddog if you would like something changed. This whole Wild Wednesday event is  new, so I would imagine it will morph and change as time goes on.

Skip, in getting back to your original question about who to contact if you want to organize an absolute copy of KOTH...that would be Pyro, the producer of Aces High.