Author Topic: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees  (Read 1689 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
4 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court has ruled that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the Constitution to challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts.

The justices, in a 5-4 ruling Thursday, handed the Bush administration its third setback at the high court since 2004 over its treatment of prisoners who are being held indefinitely and without charges at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

It was not immediately clear whether this ruling, unlike the first two, would lead to prompt hearings for the detainees, some of whom have been held more than 6 years. Roughly 270 men remain at the island prison, classified as enemy combatants and held on suspicion of terrorism or links to al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Re: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
Does this mean they can be given the death penalty if found guilty?

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
It means a media circus in our own US Courts that will make Nuremberg look like Judge Judy.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
So can we start executing them?

These are terrorists, not parking ticket deadbeats!

Offline Mojava

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
 About time!

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:46:39 AM »
now that they have the same rights that you and I have.......my guess is.....each will now be given a team of high priced US lawyers.....be relocated here in the states....and the ones we don't just let walk...will go to trial many many years from now. Many more will sue in civil court and most likely win millions of dollars.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
They are _suspected_ terrorists, and that I guess is the real issue. If you are so sure they are guildty then a round in court should not be so bad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »
About time!

I'm not so sure about that. These people have been classed as enemy combatants. When is the last time enemy combatants got to sue in US civilian courts?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. These people have been classed as enemy combatants. When is the last time enemy combatants got to sue in US civilian courts?

Word. :aok

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »
Two of the biggest terrorist scumbags have already confessed to being planners and would-be participant in the 9/11 atrocities.  They ask to be executed so they can be "martyrs" for their cause.

What does that tell you?

ROX

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
Two of the biggest terrorist scumbags have already confessed to being planners and would-be participant in the 9/11 atrocities.  They ask to be executed so they can be "martyrs" for their cause.

What does that tell you?

ROX

they were both waterboarded......... they will walk.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »

What does that tell you?

ROX

That sex change operations should be used instead...

:devil

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »
It worked the way it is supposed to work. It was legally challenged all the way up to the SC and the SC ruled.

As I may have mentioned here once or twice, the President proposes, the Congress disposes and the Supreme Court rules.

This is the primary reason it is important to be careful when you vote for a President. He's the guy that nominates judges. Same for voting for Senators; they approve/disapprove the President's nominees.

For the record, Justices John Paul Stevens, Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter joined Kennedy's opinion. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas dissented.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
It worked the way it is supposed to work. 

It certainly did.  God Help us.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:05:47 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
I glad 5 of them remembered the law.