Author Topic: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »
The definition of their status seems to be moot. If there is no rebelion or invasion and they are under the jurisdiction of the US, they have the right to Habeas Corpus.

This Supreme Court decision seems to have made their status a moot point, yet, what precedent shows that enemy combatants taken prisoner have the right to Habeas Corpus?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
I personally feel that the ones captured while in armed combat are in fact POWs. How can it be any other way?

Because of the Geneva Conventions. Specifically the 3rd one which states how prisoners of war are to be treated and how enemy combatants are to be identified. The problem in this war is virtually all prisoners are actually classified as illegal combatants since they don't fight for a particular country and don't wear a specific uniform to identify themselves with a specific country. (Taliban fighters might be an exception to this. I'm not sure if the Taliban actually wore standardized uniforms to identify themselves as part of the Afghan army or not.)

Imo, this whole issue isn't whether or not these folks are entitled to the rights granted by Habeas Corpus but what exactly is their legal status. Once their legal status is determined, then it would have been obvious what rights they did and did not have. Using the example from earlier in this thread, German PoW's didn't have access to Habeas Corpus and our civil courts. These folks in Gitmo shouldn't have access either if they are classed as PoW's or enemy combatants, legal or illegal. That precedent was set in Johnson vs Eisentrager.

Otoh, if some of those folks being held in Gitmo are being held as criminals, then yes, they should have access to Habeas Corpus and our civil courts.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »
No, that is what the Supremes are saying. The key seems to be the open ended nature of our current "war".

WWII, Korea and Vietnam were pretty open ended affairs until they ended as well.....were they not?