Author Topic: HO shot or Deflection?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline ugly

• Zinc Member
      • Black Ops Squad
Re: HO shot or Deflection?
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
IMO, the HO is a deflection shot.  Zero defelection.  I would rather hit from two to four degrees either left or right, up or down thoug :)  Try to avoid the collison :)

HO was a legitimate tactic during both first and second wars.

Very useful when you are alone against superior numbers :)

in real air combat, do think any pilot who was ever shot down ever said " whaa... he ho'd me" I ve seen 100's of hours of documentaries of seasoned combat pilots and never heard the term HO till I started playing AHII. Everyother line of radio chatter you see it "U HO'd Me noob!" In fact I see it so much I think they need to change the name of this game to AHO'sII, lol

I dont post much as you can see, but had a minute to chime on this. I normally fly planes that do not turn to well so when merging with kites I normally go for a deflection, trying to turn with them would be pointless. I get accused of ho everyday by some whiner. A ho is when both pilots have a gun solution and it takes 2 to HO. A deflection is any shot off six regardless of alt/speed/aoa. Any good pilot will take the shot if presented. I will say this to all the crybabies out there; if you do not like being shot at, from any angle, quit playing. If I shoot you down from your 11:59 o'clock high or low, it was your fault, your going down, better luck next time, try to stay out of my firing solution next time,

For all you HO babies, please post a link to text or video anywhere where a real combat veteran talks about HO,
you can't, now go CRY some more, maybe you'll feel better.
I aint never playin this game again. Ya'll can have my computer, I'm walking home!
Join Us

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2008, 01:47:29 PM »
I know I spelled it wrong but it is almost 3:30AM so I don't care lol. Anyway, just had rather interesting incident but just makes me wonder what would most consider this shot as:

I see the 109 diving in on me from little bit higher then I was. I was about 1.5 and was going to fly under him and do barrel roll so I was expecting him to ho me. He decided he wanted to pull up about 1000, exposing his underbelly long enough for me to score some hits, including rad. hit. He was climbing and as he was doing so, he was accusing me of ho'ing him.   But anyway, he saw this as me ho'ing him even though I didn't consider it as one since he exposed his belly to my guns.

So my question, would this be considered as HO shot or deflection shot?

Y
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
It's a HO If both parties have gun solution, everything else is a deflection.

says the ho'n spit16 pilot!

<----  :cry
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline abc123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

A head on is when two aircraft are firing while flying on a nose-to-nose collision course.

Why can't it be a head on when we're on a 'nose-to-nose collision course' and only he fires at me?
Tree: 73 Myself:  0

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
in real air combat, do think any pilot who was ever shot down ever said " whaa... he ho'd me" I ve seen 100's of hours of documentaries of seasoned combat pilots and never heard the term HO till I started playing AHII. Everyother line of radio chatter you see it "U HO'd Me noob!" In fact I see it so much I think they need to change the name of this game to AHO'sII, lol

I dont post much as you can see, but had a minute to chime on this. I normally fly planes that do not turn to well so when merging with kites I normally go for a deflection, trying to turn with them would be pointless. I get accused of ho everyday by some whiner. A ho is when both pilots have a gun solution and it takes 2 to HO. A deflection is any shot off six regardless of alt/speed/aoa. Any good pilot will take the shot if presented. I will say this to all the crybabies out there; if you do not like being shot at, from any angle, quit playing. If I shoot you down from your 11:59 o'clock high or low, it was your fault, your going down, better luck next time, try to stay out of my firing solution next time,

For all you HO babies, please post a link to text or video anywhere where a real combat veteran talks about HO,
you can't, now go CRY some more, maybe you'll feel better.

No, good pilots do not take shots where the results are a coin toss between killing the bandit and getting killed himself, in other words, a head-on shot.  The only way to get good at detecting a favorable HO opportunity is to die hundreds or thousands of times trying it, and then you still might only be a favorite, e.g. 75%, in the head-on encounter.

HO all you like, but you're selling yourself short if you do it, especially if you have other advantages over the enemy, e.g. altitude or speed.

P.S. There are other, more plausible, explanations for why you haven't read the phrase "head-on" in combat reports than the one you think.  Pilots did take head-on shots from time to time, fighter vs. fighter, but generally it was regarded as temerity.  Anyone who made a habit of going head-on in real combat probably didn't live to write their memoirs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:46:35 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
I'd say it was not a Head-On.

As far as I know, a head on is when one pilot flies directly at the nose of the other pilot, and opens fire that way.  What it sounds like to me is that you had your nose pointed at his plane whilst shooting (of course),Yossarian

Basically correct, a HO is when both planes have gun solution on the other...

So, imo, no, if you're sotory is what happened, then no it wasn't a HO but a FQS.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »
I think the topic of discussion here is something like the second aircraft destroyed in this video:

and I have to hold with my opinion that it is not a HO. The spitfire as seen in my video is trying to do the smart thing of turning into the attack which I think is smart but being as he has the advantage in turn he also gives up the right to whine about getting shot trying it (and yet whine he does).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
By then I would be going up.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
-snip-

Noticed the TR image in your signature, you play? 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
No, good pilots do not take shots where the results are a coin toss between killing the bandit and getting killed himself

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Also, even if you  "win" the head on there is a very very good chance you will at least take damage that results in less combat effectiveness or even forces one to rtb.

Unless desperate and hopelessly outnumbered, there is only one reason to HO a fighter: it's a 262.     :lol
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
Here are are my thoughts on the matter of HOing in RL...

No icons.

Closure rates ~700mph

So it would go more like this,..."Speck" on windscreeen...wait, that is a contact...*WHOOSH*...Holy %@#$%@#$, that 109 almost collided with me..." followed by reefing around to get on him.

In many, perhaps most cases, with only the MkI eyeball for IFF, a true head-on course probably wouldn't give most pilots time enough to identify, decide, and set up an accurate and effective face shot. Add to that the reflexive "Oh crap, gonna collide" response once you ARE close enough to see and shoot, and you see why HOing was a different proposition back then. In RL, with WWII airplanes, it would take a good pilot and good shot to identify and aim an effective HO shot in time, therefore, it was neither as ubiquitous nor the M.A.D. scenario it is in Aces High.

No, good pilots do not take shots where the results are a coin toss between killing the bandit and getting killed himself, in other words, a head-on shot.  The only way to get good at detecting a favorable HO opportunity is to die hundreds or thousands of times trying it, and then you still might only be a favorite, e.g. 75%, in the head-on encounter.

HO all you like, but you're selling yourself short if you do it, especially if you have other advantages over the enemy, e.g. altitude or speed.

P.S. There are other, more plausible, explanations for why you haven't read the phrase "head-on" in combat reports than the one you think.  Pilots did take head-on shots from time to time, fighter vs. fighter, but generally it was regarded as temerity.  Anyone who made a habit of going head-on in real combat probably didn't live to write their memoirs.