Author Topic: Anyone get hoed....  (Read 720 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Anyone get hoed....
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
when ur tryin to aviod a ho? I find alot of my deaths are to people gettin very lucky shots on me when I am droppin my nose out of a head on. Is there a way to avoid a headon without losing alot of E?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
Re: Anyone get hoed....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »
  I like to carry a big stick so I'll shoot back ;)
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »
Yes, if it's not a pure HO it's called a low-deflection forward quarter deflection shot (a pure HO is Zero deflection). The myth that it takes two willing participants to HO is a pure fallacy. Any Nose to Nose merge can result in a HO if just one of the planes is hellbent and determined to force it. This is especially true if the HO'er has a significant manueverability advantage or the Ho'ee is under control compression.

Of course you can jink to try to avoid it, but depending on the closure rate you will still present the shooter with a relatively low-deflection forward quarter shot which, by definition, is fairly easy. Everyone has had the experience of closing on a very manueverable plane like a Hurricane or a Niki only to have him pull a high G turn just in time to pull into your face for a HO shot. There's very little you can do to avoid it without immediately aborting the attack and pulling off which will usually result in a positional disadvantage and/or the loss of relative E.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:13:53 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
alright im just gunna keep on not hoin and just take it but i ask that all of you that have done this just think about how cheap it really is :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
I try to get the guy 1000 off my 12 and jerk down, then pull up and over and try to get a shot on him while he's still vert.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »
I try to get the guy 1000 off my 12 and jerk down, then pull up and over and try to get a shot on him while he's still vert.

Yea, that's proabably your best bet. Against most planes that will put you below the visual obstruction of their engine cowling, increasing the difficulty of forcing a HO immensely. But, a good thing to think about, some planes have a very good nose-low deflection view which makes this manuever less effective. Planes like the Niki, Hurricane, P38, Mossie, F6F, Pony, 110, IL2, Tiffie/Tempest...It works great against most German and Russian stuff though with the exception of the 110 and IL2.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:19:20 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
when ur tryin to aviod a ho? ´

"Regular" Ho's? Very, very rarely. Usually a barrel roll or just a bit wiggling is sufficient to avoid it. When someone passes me guns blazing, I'm very confident I will win this. I'm worried about those who do NOT try to Ho me....

In heated dogfights, I get occasionally shot in the face, but often that are actually deflection shots or someone is just using a split-second opportunity. Generally I try not to blame someone for shooting when I'm getting into his sights

I have to say I'm sometimes puzzled about that whole discussion here and on CH 200. I see that every day: Two cons, a friendly and an enemy with a few k separation. I see them both turning into each other and flying on a straight line collision path. Finally one presses the trigger and the other one starts his lament on 200 without having tried anything to avoid that situation at all  :rolleyes:
Especially ridiculous when the killed player was in a Spit and is now complaining about that "weak hoing A20/Il2/110"

Rule #1 Get the enemy in to your gun arc.
Rule #2 Stay out of his one.

That's all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »
I use an immelman instead of diving beneath the enemy. It works a lot better in my experience.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
Easiest way to avoid a HO (for me anyways) is just perform a simply barrel roll. When they get to 1.5K, get ready. At 1.0K barrel roll, and 95% of the time you'll make them miss.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
I use an immelman instead of diving beneath the enemy. It works a lot better in my experience.

Depends on the plane you're using again as well.  A nice beautiful 109.  Or the spit16dweebers...from the runway to 15k on your 6 oclock in under 45 seconds.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Separation + Lead turn.

As Zazen states, if someone wants to push the shot there isn't anything you can do but avoid. Rather than turning it into a joust by accepting the HO merge, make it hard for them to hit while at the same time positioning to get their 6 quick. Yes, there will be times when they get hits including fatal ones, but the rest are meat if you time the lead turn correctly. See jerkins post below from Help & Training for a good example:

Here is a basic head on defense and reversal training video with myself narrating.  Enjoy

HO_rev.wmv

Enjoy.

Also i did a write up on this maneuver some weeks ago, search it if interested.
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
I try to move the plane at least 2x so he can't take a hi g guess.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »
when ur tryin to aviod a ho? I find alot of my deaths are to people gettin very lucky shots on me when I am droppin my nose out of a head on. Is there a way to avoid a headon without losing alot of E?

Your most likely doing your "move" to late. Turn away from a bandit a lot farther out, then turn back into him. This puts you at his/her 2 or 10 o'clock instead of strait on. Then do your "move as you close just to be out of his guns path

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
keep changing your angles. don't be predictible in your movements.and react as quick as possible to get behind them.most ho shots are easily avoided. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
Here is a youtube version of the video cbiz posted above.  Just create separation and perform a half cuban (lead turn in this case). Watch it and you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgi0iaPCNU4

Also here is a link to a write up on the maneuver.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,237320.0.html
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing