Author Topic: AH Community question.....fix kill stealing?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
AH Community question.....fix kill stealing?
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
Over the last few years I've been on, I've seen kill stealing brought up several times.  If you have been on enough, I'm sure it has happened to you as well.  Sometimes it can be an honest mistake, but what happened today was blatant.

I shot a plane off of a fellow countryman's tail after much manuevering.  I shot the tail completely off of the plane and it was falling flat, staight down, obviously no longer a threat.  I even called out this particular plane as down over range.  As I looked back, I saw tracers from a "friendly" (I use the term loosely) pouring into this falling, tailess plane.  I look at the text buffer and of course see "assist on -----"

I really don't care about the score, or getting a handle up in lights, it's just the point of the matter.  I'm not going to lose my cool and crawl the guy, because it does no good and it's likely a noob kid that doesn't know any better anyway.  But to do nothing about it is no different than encouraging it.

If you've been here more than a couple of weeks, I'm sure you can relate to this problem.  There are some pretty sharp people here that have been playing this game for a while, so I ask you:  What can be done?  Or should we just let it go?  Let the guy you've worked hard to knock down get stolen as the wreckage falls to the ground?

HT has been exellent at listening to the community and fixing problems, so if there is enough voice, there will be a result.

I suggest this:  If a part critical to flight is missing, the plane is scored as a kill right then.  It's not hard.  Simply looking at the damage list tells you the game already knows what has been hit.  Examples are: Wing (entire), horizontal stabs, vertical stabs and tail section.  If those are missing, the plane has no hope of continued flight...it has been killed and reduced to falling wreckage.  Any shots that follow can do damage, but will not be counted as it is now a crash looking for a place to happen.

PS:  No, this is not a  :cry or a  :furious.  It is a question to my Brothers and Sisters.  Should it be fixed or rewarded?
"Rotorhed"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: AH Community question.....fix kill stealing?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »
I used chastise them over range a few years ago.   Now, I can careless.   If they need a kill that bad, well, then they can have it.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Only problem I see is we won't be able to steal kills form squadies, which is the only reason to fly in a squad anyway....LOL   :D
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
yup.  Just look at our squad rules ( website is in SpikesX sig)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Only problem I see is we won't be able to steal kills form squadies, which is the only reason to fly in a squad anyway....LOL   :D

OMG.  You wrong for that :rofl
"Rotorhed"

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
Not sure what needs to be fixed.  If you kill someone, you get the credit, kill em before the other guy steals it.  I think it would be far simpler for you to chase the plane down if you want to confirm the kill instead of trying to code something that already has a solution.  You can't code behavior out of people, finish the job instead of counting on someone else to honor what you might say over range.

Just an opinion, stuff like this doesn't bother me.  Remember, you asked :)

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
"Make sure you finish 'em off <censored>!"
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
WOOO WOOOO!
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."
or
"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there."

Real life quotes that work pretty well (if not perfectly) in this game.  Channel 6 means nothing to what you actualy did, and what you actualy did should be the only thing that really matters.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:31:35 AM »
Not sure what needs to be fixed.  If you kill someone, you get the credit, kill em before the other guy steals it.  I think it would be far simpler for you to chase the plane down if you want to confirm the kill instead of trying to code something that already has a solution.  You can't code behavior out of people, finish the job instead of counting on someone else to honor what you might say over range.

Just an opinion, stuff like this doesn't bother me.  Remember, you asked :)

Oh? Well..
You can not award the kill at the time of damage. The outcome of the flight has still not been determined. The odds are he will crash and die,but that is not always the case.

But I have lost wings at times near ground and ended up with a ditch by luck.

What would be possible is that no more lethality points are tracked once certian componets fail. The plane could still be shot and more damage done, but no kill award tracking would be done, you still must stay living until the hit plane exits flight.

Been thinking about implementing this for a while, it just hasn't moved to the top of the list yet.

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 04:44:26 AM »
Yep, e.g. break something on a tank and that part's damage doesnt count for a kill anymore..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 04:48:36 AM »
half the time stolen kills are a mistake. one decent solution i thought about the other day was this.
have a [dot]command to give a kill to a person who got an assist.

say if you and wingman want to swap credit for a kill i would type

.swap#3 Redtop

where #3 relates to the kill you stole.

at the end of the day, there are plenty more kills out there, not really something worth actualy doing some work on.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »
Flying a flak yak, you get used to seeing streams of Hizookas pouring into aircraft you've already disabled. It's a fact of death really, if you don't destroy them completely you're going to get an assist.
You get used to it eventually, though it would be nice if you got even a poofteenth of a point for an assist. I could care less about getting my name in lights but it would be nice to get a small reward for the 15 odd assists I just brought home with me. :aok
The thing that bugs me is when I've been working my kill down to a state where I can line up a good hit with the 'tater and some dweeb flies in between to steal my hard won kill, killshooting me with the 'tater in the progress. :furious
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:39:26 AM by SD67 »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 05:48:37 AM »
Whoa, you shot the tail off? That plane is still a threat, I would have keep shooting him til he was a flying seat or he exploded!

But sometimes lag can affect it, he may not see the tail fly off and figures you broke off, but who knows? I say get rid of the kill messages, make it interesting!

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 06:45:34 AM »
I dont mind too much anymore now. As long as  can see who it was that i killed to give them an <S> im happy.  :)
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html