Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6090 times)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
Rox

I did the burgers, deep dish pizza, and the pasta sauce this weekend.  Rave reviews from the entire family  :aok

GREAT!

My family loves all three, and they are definitely in the dinner rotation.

Grilling the garlic burgers over charcoal and then serving with cheese is always a hit.  Most folks look at all the garlic and go WHOOOA.  Many folks don't realize that garlic gets really mellow when cooked.

ROX
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:30:02 PM by ROX »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »
no doubt... the onions and garlic in the food processors sent the kids running to the other room.  They were 'helping' (meaning watching over my shoulder and getting in the way) right up until I fired those puppies up.  My house smelled like an Italian restaurant all weekend.  :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
no doubt... the onions and garlic in the food processors sent the kids running to the other room.  They were 'helping' (meaning watching over my shoulder and getting in the way) right up until I fired those puppies up.  My house smelled like an Italian restaurant all weekend.  :aok

I just laughed until my sides ache   :rofl    :rofl

ROX

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »
My house smelled like an Italian restaurant all weekend.  :aok

same here...........I think mrs zetanine is already getting tired of me photographing everything with the new camera....

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »
Damn such tasty stuff.

Which one of you guys is a bonded, insured caterer? Need somebody for my wedding!   :rock

edit: You'll get to be up close and personal with vintage aircraft, as it's at the Lone Star Flight Museum. still no takers?  :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:07:21 PM by indy007 »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »
It's GREAT when the thread goes from simply sharing to folks breaking out the recipe box and posting stuff they would normally call "off limits".

OK ... OK !!!

When I was a kid, one of my best friend's Grandmother (Grandma Penelton) use to always bring the "salad" to the picnic and she also supplied her own "dressing".

Anybody who tasted her salad dressing immediately wanted the recipe ... NFW !!! ... she said she would take the recipe to her grave. She wouldn't even give it to her own daughter (my friend's mom).

Well .. Grandma Penelton finally passed (years ago at the age of 90-something), and my friend's mother scoured thru all her recipes at her house and low and behold ...

Grandma Penelton's Salad Dressing

This makes 3 Cups of dressing.

1 can of Tomato Soup
3/4 C Mazola Corn Oil
3/4 C Cider Vinegar
1/3 C Sugar
1 t Worcestershire Sauce
1 t Dry Mustard
1 t Salt
1/4 t Pepper
1/4 t Cayenne
Clove of Garlic

Add all ingredients to a leak-proof container. Shake well. Refrigerate and obviously shake well before using.

R.I.P. Grandma Penelton.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »

same here...........I think mrs zetanine is already getting tired of me photographing everything with the new camera....

Nice bottle of wine too ... :cool:
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
GREAT!

My family loves all three, and they are definitely in the dinner rotation.

Grilling the garlic burgers over charcoal and then serving with cheese is always a hit.  Most folks look at all the garlic and go WHOOOA.  Many folks don't realize that garlic gets really mellow when cooked.

ROX

Garlic !!! ... if your ever in San Francisco ... go to the "Stinkin Rose". There is not one app/entree/etc ... that doesn't have loads of beautifully roasted garlic in it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

Combine all ingredients except brisket in removable liner.  Shake on 4T of the bottle of liquid smoke and reserve the rest. Add brisket and turn to coat well with barbecue sauce. Marinate overnight in the fridge. If you have problems getting the lid to close, using an electric knife, trim off what you need to to get it to fit, and place all the meat in inside liner, covered.

Only add enough BBQ Sauce to no more than 1" below the top of the crock pot liner, reserve the rest for use at the table.

Sorry ROX ... but this part has left me a little confused.

Removable liner = actual crock ? ... what size crock do you have/use.

Combine all ingredients except brisket in removable liner.

So I dump all the liquid smoke and BBQ sauce in the crock ? ... cause then you say ... "Shake on 4T of the bottle of liquid smoke and reserve the rest." ... or am I putting 4T into the crock and reserving the rest for the BBQ Sauce.

:rolleyes: ... sorry if I am being dense ... this one needs to get cooked this weekend.

SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
Manatee  :noid

HOW TO HANDLE MANATEE MEAT
Manatee meat has a mild taste and readily adapts to recipes for beef. Choice cuts of meat, primarily the tail and peduncle, can be used in any recipe. The body and flipper meat, with just a little extra preparation and special recipes, can be just as tasty. I recommend cubing the less-tender cuts for extra tenderness or pounding steaks with a meat mallet.
Regardless of what cut of manatee meat you are using, all fat and sinew must be removed before freezing or preparing. Even the yellowish fat between the layers should be removed. When using flipper or body meat, we recommend removing the white tendons and vessels as well.

Manatee meat has been successfully frozen for over a year. This was done by removing all fat, wrapping well in cellophane and then again in freezer paper. Manatee meat can be tenderized in several different ways. Some restaurants run each piece of meat through a cubing machine. Other restauranteurs recommend pounding each peice of manatee with a meat mallet until thin, usually about one inch. All restaurants recommend cutting manatee meat across the grain for a more tender piece of meat.

Body and flipper meat cuts are excellent choices for burgers, casseroles, ground meat, soups and stews. Peduncle and tail meat work well for roasts, steaks and barbecue.

Regardless of which cut of meat you use, you will find manatee to be a very delicious and versatile meat. It is also low in fat, making it a great item for the calorie conscious person.

Baked Manatee
6 manatee steaks
lemon juice
lemon slices
garlic powder
butter
chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Arrange manatee steaks in an ovenware dish large enough to place in a single layer, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. Squeeze lemon juice over steaks. Cut a generous amount of butter into squares and place over the steaks. Arrange lemon slices over the steaks and then sprinkle generously with parsley. Bake in a 375 F oven until steaks are cooked. Serve with french bread.
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »
ROX...do you have any healthy grilled fish recipes???
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »
Mcstripper

1-lb fish fillet (striper bass, grouper)
1 scallion
1 egg
2 tbsp fresh dill
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp white wine
 6 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp dry wasabi
3 tbsp butter

1.PLace fish, scallions, dill, egg, wine bread crums and 2 tbsp of mayo in a food proccessor,
 pulse several times until a thick consistency is achieved, then form into equal patties
2.melt 3 tbsp of butter in a skillet
3.Over med. heat fry the patties until they are equally golden brown
4. for a topping mix 4 tbsp of mayo with the wasabi powder and spread over the patties.

you can also add hot sauce to the mixture before blending in the food processor.
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.4thfg.org
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
Okay i didn't read every recipe but here's one from Amish country

PA Dutch Potato Salad w/ warm bacon dressing

and this is off the hip, haven't used a recipe for years so bear with me:

5 lbs redskin potatoes, cut and and boiled

8 slices of your favorite bacon
2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (raw)
6 eggs hard boiled
1 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp flour

OK here goes:

in one large bowl mix your cooked and drained potatoes (with skins on) and pealed and coarsely chopped hard boiled eggs.  Cut bacon into 1" pieces and brown in medium saucepan DO NOT DRAIN GREASE!!!!  In a medium bowl, mix sugar and raw eggs, beat thoroughly.  Add vinegar and water to sugar and egg mixture mix well.  Once bacon is browned, add flour to the drippings...mix well.  Pour egg/vinegar mixture into pan and simmer until thickened.  Pour over potatoes and eggs mix well.  Best served warm but can be eaten cold.  Also try dressing over a your favorite salad.  Enjoy and see your cardiologist immediately.  <S>  :aok

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
Thanks Capt.  I happen to have over 200 Stripers in the freezer
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
Thanks Capt.  I happen to have over 200 Strippers in the freezer
:O It's Hannibal Lecter!!!!!!! :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute