Author Topic: Flying the P-47  (Read 2364 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Flying the P-47
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »
You're not going to let he fact that you are incredibly ineffective at any and every aspect of this game reduce your posting rate one bit are you?

Oh i almost forgot.  BnZ.  You've been reported to HTC for the "law-nerd" remark for flamebaiting in the forum. 

I tremble in fear of the terrible wrath that Skuzzy will pour down upon me...  :rofl

Any second now...  :noid

...Huh...  :huh

Why don't you try making a voodoo doll of me instead? It'll be about as effective, and might might keep you off the BBS for a few hours.  :devil

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »
    In my opinion fighters are largely irrelevant in this game.  Sort'a like nats on a fishing trip.  They're there, they're annoying, but they really don't have anything to do with whether or not you catch a fish.
  Now back on topic.  One more trick fighter jocks like to use to catch a working P-47 is to sneak in NOE, Pop-up and shoot you down.  The counter tactic to this is simple.  Just restrict the amount of time you spend over the target.  If you're gone when they get there, they can't shoot at you.  It's that simple.
  You do this first by limiting the ordinance you take off with.  Leave the rockets behind.  If you're new, you're rarely going to hit anything with them anyway, except the biggest targets.  That will save you making two runs on the target.  Next limit your strafing runs.  I leave when my guns get down to six or seven hundred rounds.  Beleive me, you'll never see an nme fighter if you follow these simple rules. They don't have the speed to get there before you finish your work and leave.
  Later on when you attack nme airfields, the operative words are "Fighter Hangers Down".  Just hold down the shift key and click on the nme base.  FHD and no nme Dar bar = No nme fighters.  If any nme fighters are circling the airbase under their own flak at 500 feet, you'll see'em and they're not going to come up anyway.  Once again, you just fly off and hit an alternate target.  It's that simple.

Waldron, If i may put in my two cents.
Im very much like you in the fact that i like using the P47 for attacking(suprisingly i think thats it)

I don't want to trash you, and your making it hard. Everyone here is bantering with you and you fight back, so if you could please limit your controvercial post to a minimum. You have earned the reputation as "that guy" who knows little but thinks hes the toejam(dont report me pleez)

Ok so u said that fighters are irrelivant in AHII? Well im a terrible fighter (my score is in the 1000's) and i am with a great squad that takes many bases and rarely furballs but nobody i fly with will say fighters are "flies" or "nats" as u called them, even you can ackoledge that the game would be terrible if there was no dogfighting just ppl bombing stuff. weres the fun in that.

And for your tactics. I think you are trying to help ppl who know very little and want them not to become furballers and learn tactics but you are going at it the wrong way. Dont post. the way people get good is by practice so what you do if you actually want to help is go to the MA and just do what you do, anyone who wants help will ask if you are as good as you say you are.

So I hope you follow my advice and maybe you might, in time, make friends if you stop fueling my AHII brothers fire

so I tried not to be mean and i hope i didnt come across as pompous or arrogant in any manner because i didnt mean to

-IAN5440-
ROLLING THUNDER
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
Worst advice ive ever heard, you lvl bomb in a p47? funny my bomb site seems to be broken. About everything you said was 100% wrong. And dont try ur little comeback of "another fighter jock trying to put the new people down" because im awful if a fighter. You dont become respectable by being in the 900's in score as you said, you become respectable by having good fights and showing respect to others.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 03:00:20 AM »
You guys might as well stop posting garbage.

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
  ... Leave the rockets behind.  If you're new, you're rarely going to hit anything with them anyway, except the biggest targets.  ...

:huh :eek:

Actually, rockets are very flexible and easy to use. The only trick is that your aim point moves depending on your range to the target. Many of the custom gunsights have rocket aiming marks, and even on the default gunsight, the bottom edge of the big circle makes a servicable aim point. As you get closer to your target, the aim point gets closer to the middle of your sight. No need to believe me though, you can try it yourself. Either off-line or in the training arena, pick a target on an airfield (ammo bunkers seem to be popular). Work with a single target so you can start to develop a feel for range based on the relative size of the target. Since the rockets leave a nice trail, you can quickly learn where to aim to hit your target. An hour or so of this type of practice will make you effective with rockets.

You can attack with rockets in a relatively flat approach, or in a steep dive like dive bombing. You can salvo them one at a time against soft targets, or in a big bunch against harder targets. You can use them in conjunction with bombs to take out a hanger in a single pass, or you can use them individually against spot targets like base ack. Speaking of ack, they are way better than strafing for taking out ack since you can engage and destroy the ack from outside the ack gun's range. Use your zoom if you need a better view of where you are aiming.

Rockets on a P-47 are  :cool: and useful. Bring 'em along!

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy :aok
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »
Wow and I thought my posts were slightly hated and that people thought i was a noob. :huh

Now to the point.  Why not take rockets and why not practice with them.  Those ten rockets are at least 1000 lbs of explosives that can be shot like guns at targets and with practice can hit things from a long distance.  Also I have an overall ranking somewhere in the 700s and I bet I will find very few people who think I am a good pilot especially in the planes I fly 109s mostly.  I can land 5 kills a sortie in a spit 16 but that does not make me a good pilot.  If I was a good pilot I would be able to do that in the planes I fly mostly the 109's.  Also the way that people like me and ponyace who have been playing this game for less that a year can look down upon you is pretty bad.  Not to say ponyace is bad or anything but I'm sure that he is probably not the best out there.  I have not got the pleasure to fly with him outside of a few Snapshots.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 02:56:45 AM »
Wow and I thought my posts were slightly hated and that people thought i was a noob. :huh

Now to the point.  Why not take rockets and why not practice with them.  Those ten rockets are at least 1000 lbs of explosives that can be shot like guns at targets and with practice can hit things from a long distance.  Also I have an overall ranking somewhere in the 700s and I bet I will find very few people who think I am a good pilot especially in the planes I fly 109s mostly.  I can land 5 kills a sortie in a spit 16 but that does not make me a good pilot.  If I was a good pilot I would be able to do that in the planes I fly mostly the 109's.  Also the way that people like me and ponyace who have been playing this game for less that a year can look down upon you is pretty bad.  Not to say ponyace is bad or anything but I'm sure that he is probably not the best out there.  I have not got the pleasure to fly with him outside of a few Snapshots.

Not a bad attitude for a new guy. Waldron has been PNG'ed, but jolly good show. I guess almost anyone looks respectable compared to him. Good luck with the K4, and elsewhere <S>

Offline Fatboy26

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:32 AM »
WOW

I'm not trying to flame or provoke a fight, but this is probably the worst information that I have ever read on the forums.  I feel sorry for any new player who reads this and thinks it's advice.  The jug, all of them, are great dog fighters.  Now I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their $15, if you don't like to fur-ball then don't.  But this post to someone who does not know, this post could shy them away from a great set of aircraft.  As for using the rockets, rockets are very easy to use accurately with practice and a good sight.  And level bombing using the clipboard....of course you will get some hits on a strat.  Strats are extremely target rich in a compact space, it's kinda hard not to hit something.  And as for 262's, the jug is my fav for climbing high then picking 262's.  I haven't flown the jug much this tour or last I believe, and I'm not very good in it, but a good jug jockey can make a challenge for anyone.

Seriously man set up an appointment with a trainer.  The trainers are very good and are generally happy to help.  The Jug is a much more capable aircraft than you make it out to be.  Once you learn it's capabilities you will find it to be a much more versatile aircraft.  And for anyone new reading this looking for advice on the jug disregard the post by Waldron, as it is mostly false and opinionated.
Proudly campaigning (screaming, whining, begging, pleading) for the addition of the Me410 to AH2

Fatboy

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 09:38:22 AM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
Lighten up Francis

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »
Why not take rockets and why not practice with them. 

I always carry rockets on the F6F-5.  Salvo 3, Delay .05 will give you clean kills on Panzers, Shermans and T-34's with direct hits.  That's two extra kills per sortie in the F6F.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
I always deack with rockets. 1 rocket, 1 ack gun. If I can do it, anyone can. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »
I know many of you don't like this guy, but honestly, SOME of the things he is saying are very TRUE.

From the stand point of someone who is only interested in putting ord on target or winning the "war". Fighter planes really are irrelevant.

Fighter planes won't win wars. Bombers win wars. Yes fighter planes help defend bombers but by themselves are not the point in an offensive campaign. In real life you really need your fighters to defend bombers. Winning a real war is a measure of resources. You can't afford to keep losing bombers.

You don't have that problem in the games though. You have an unlimited supply of bombers and crews. If one side really wants to win the "war" they don't need fighters. Put hordes of bombers in the air and flatten everything the other countries have. They won't be able to stop all the bombers.

Also yes pretty much all the fighters can operate  in Air to Air mode, but many are better at certain things. The P47 is a prime example. It's strength is not air to air engagements. It's a great bomb truck though. If you're looking at the American plane set and want to establish air superiority in a sector over land, the p47 is not the plane of choice. You fly P51's, F4U's or P38's.

If you want to use a fighter though to flatten a strat target then maybe get in a little air to air on your way home. Then you take the P47, or the P38.

From the stand point of bomb first run second the statements he made are true. Though it still begs the question of why take a P47, instead of a medium bomber like the B25, or maybe a light bomber like the mosquito. Ahh it just occurred to me. You're trying to run up your ATTACk score and not your bomber score. Think the mosquito might count as a fighter, I don't remember.

The thing the P47 was outstanding at was close air support. A job which unfortunately we have nearly no need for at all in Aces High II. Maybe one day in the future when we have like Aces High V we will.

Back to the OP, some of his strategies are a bit off. I personally find dive bombing to be much easier and safer than level bombing. YMMV though. He obviously finds it easier the other way.

A lot of the rest of his post though was pretty much right on the money if that is what you want from the game.

If you want to run up your attack score this is definately a great way to do it. You get a lot more points for getting home in your plane alive than for ditching it, or getting shot down. You also get a lot more points for doing a lot of damage in one plane. So getting home and refueling/arming and returning to target is all things you want to focus on, if you're trying to improve your score.

You won't make any friends of the fighter jock crowd, but obviously you're not playing so they will have fun. This is about your fun. (I'm neither condemning nor condoning the behavior at all. As it's not my place to dictate to you how to have your fun.)

Later on once you've mastered this aspect, and are ready to move onto somethign else, then you can learn to dogfight in it. Or maybe learn another plane. it's up to you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:17:13 PM by Damionte »
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
1. Even in this game, if one side has total air superiority, the other side isn't going to take any bases just sending waves of buffs, jabos, and goons to their deaths. The fact that much jabo in this game is either suicide or milk running does lessen air superiority's importance, but not to the point that fighter cover is irrelevant. The one hole that needs to be closed in this game to make it about air superiority instead of sneaking around to undefended bases is the NOE raid thing...I dunno, maybe radar should extend a-historically all the way to the ground? I mean, NOE can avoid radar, but in reality, it would have been harder to avoid all the personelle on the ground spotting 30 110s at tree-trop level

2. The P-47 is a GREAT b'n'z fighter. I consider the P-47N, the P-51D, and the FW-190D9 to be neck-and-neck in that role. Thing about the Jug, it can beat he latter two in a turn fight, with equal pilots. Yes, that includes the P-51. This is almost certainly incorrect, but that is how HTC has it modeled right now. Yes, it is not by preference a slow knife-fighter, although it can do alot in that role, but if you fly it like it was meant to be flown, you can land plenty of kills. The altitudes we operate at are not ideal for the Jug (at 30K it is THE fighter) and STILL it can do very well.

3. No one said anything against bombing and egress...if someone is actually trying to LAND after a jabo run, that is alot less dweeby than kamikaze jabo/bomb and bail you see alot of times.

4. No need for close air support? GVs and Planes working together is GREAT in AHII...it beats GVs working alone everytime. Here is where air superiority comes in...if one side has air superiority in a given area, their attack planes can roam over that real estate bombing and spotting at will. Flaks don't really present insurmountable problems for really accurate divebombers, but having tanks around to take them out instead is nice.

5. The P-47 CANNOT level bomb to any degree. Not unless you saw a hole in the floor to look through...all effective bombing in the Jug will be dive bombing or "glide bombing" (dive bombing at a shallow angle of descent).

I know many of you don't like this guy, but honestly, SOME of the things he is saying are very TRUE.

From the stand point of someone who is only interested in putting ord on target or winning the "war". Fighter planes really are irrelevant.

Fighter planes won't win wars. Bombers win wars. Yes fighter planes help defend bombers but by themselves are not the point in an offensive campaign. In real life you really need your fighters to defend bombers. Winning a real war is a measure of resources. You can't afford to keep losing bombers.

You don't have that problem in the games though. You have an unlimited supply of bombers and crews. If one side really wants to win the "war" they don't need fighters. Put hordes of bombers in the air and flatten everything the other countries have. They won't be able to stop all the bombers.

Also yes pretty much all the fighters can operate  in Air to Air mode, but many are better at certain things. The P47 is a prime example. It's strength is not air to air engagements. It's a great bomb truck though. If you're looking at the American plane set and want to establish air superiority in a sector over land, the p47 is not the plane of choice. You fly P51's, F4U's or P38's.

If you want to use a fighter though to flatten a strat target then maybe get in a little air to air on your way home. Then you take the P47, or the P38.

From the stand point of bomb first run second the statements he made are true. Though it still begs the question of why take a P47, instead of a medium bomber like the B25, or maybe a light bomber like the mosquito. Ahh it just occurred to me. You're trying to run up your ATTACk score and not your bomber score. Think the mosquito might count as a fighter, I don't remember.

The thing the P47 was outstanding at was close air support. A job which unfortunately we have nearly no need for at all in Aces High II. Maybe one day in the future when we have like Aces High V we will.

Back to the OP, some of his strategies are a bit off. I personally find dive bombing to be much easier and safer than level bombing. YMMV though. He obviously finds it easier the other way.

A lot of the rest of his post though was pretty much right on the money if that is what you want from the game.

If you want to run up your attack score this is definately a great way to do it. You get a lot more points for getting home in your plane alive than for ditching it, or getting shot down. You also get a lot more points for doing a lot of damage in one plane. So getting home and refueling/arming and returning to target is all things you want to focus on, if you're trying to improve your score.

You won't make any friends of the fighter jock crowd, but obviously you're not playing so they will have fun. This is about your fun. (I'm neither condemning nor condoning the behavior at all. As it's not my place to dictate to you how to have your fun.)

Later on once you've mastered this aspect, and are ready to move onto somethign else, then you can learn to dogfight in it. Or maybe learn another plane. it's up to you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:37:15 PM by BnZ »