Author Topic: Stupid car  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Stupid car
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 08:34:39 PM »
Looks like you had some trouble with tribbles.

:rofl :rofl At least with Gremlins. Say any of those guys at the shop named Stripe or Mugwai?

Woooooohooooo oooooo oooo. That's my best Star Trek theme imitation.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 06:46:15 AM »
I can tell you for mg1942, it's that superior Japanese engineering that came through here.  It's bulletproof!

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
I can tell you for mg1942, it's that superior Japanese engineering that came through here.  It's bulletproof!

i hate to say this, and never thught i would say anything like this, but the japanese cars are far superior to american cars.
 i don't see too many american cars topping 150k anymore, and still being in decent shape. i have in my parking lot right now a 93 lexus with 301k on it. i get hondas on a regular basis with over 150k. none of them show it. have a customer that has 3 camrys..all early 90's, and all over 300k now. i've had a lot more than that.

now that being said, i still won't give up my american V8's. i have a dakota with 113k on it, a 3.8L taurus with 135k. my fairmont has a mustang gt drivetrain in it(complete fro an 89 including fuel inj.), but thatr drivetrain only has 79k on it.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 08:13:30 AM »
My AU Fairmont has 275K on it and it's still ticking over like it was new :rock
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
My AU Fairmont has 275K on it and it's still ticking over like it was new :rock

ya know..i forgot that you guys still have them there.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
i hate to say this, and never thught i would say anything like this, but the japanese cars are far superior to american cars.
 i don't see too many american cars topping 150k anymore, and still being in decent shape. i have in my parking lot right now a 93 lexus with 301k on it. i get hondas on a regular basis with over 150k. none of them show it. have a customer that has 3 camrys..all early 90's, and all over 300k now. i've had a lot more than that.

now that being said, i still won't give up my american V8's. i have a dakota with 113k on it, a 3.8L taurus with 135k. my fairmont has a mustang gt drivetrain in it(complete fro an 89 including fuel inj.), but thatr drivetrain only has 79k on it.

<<S>>

My experience has been the opposite.  In fact, I know quite a few Camaro owners of the same generation as mine that have well over 100k and their cars look great and still get down the road just fine.  It's not the make of the car that's the key, it's the owner.  Any garage owner or manager would see that.  And I used to manage a Mercedes repair shop.  Saw plenty of those get driven into the ground by less then responsible owners.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »
My experience has been the opposite.  In fact, I know quite a few Camaro owners of the same generation as mine that have well over 100k and their cars look great and still get down the road just fine.  It's not the make of the car that's the key, it's the owner.  Any garage owner or manager would see that.  And I used to manage a Mercedes repair shop.  Saw plenty of those get driven into the ground by less then responsible owners.
oo/..i do see that........but then on the other hand i have a 99 camaro in the bay right now...beautiful car. 109k. rod knock too.

it does have a lot to do with the owner in most cases. but i've seen high mileage civics and accords that i just KNOW were abused, and poorly maintained. yet they run like champs. i see mustangs, and camaros abused the same and not take it. i see the "W" body gm's with problems like the rear brake calipers, or the rear spring bushings much earlier than they should be.
 believe me, i dont want to talk up the imports. i just say what i see.
 like i said before, i will not give up my american cars. but if i were married and buing a car for my wife.....she'd have an accord, or a camry i think. they seem to be two of the most relaible cars on the road in my experience. if i were going to buy anything luxury, i think i'd go with a bmw, as i don't like the ride or handling of the lincolns or caddys.
for daily driving though.....my taurus, for mileage, my geo(which is really a toyota corolla...35mpg on the highway, but really ugly) and for work, my 97 dakota. hot rod 78 ford fairmont(12.20's @117mph street legal and 22mpg or so avg.)

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
With a car that purdy you shoud have a carpeted garage to keep it in.

:D

Offline OSU

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »

<<S>>
I agree with you. My dad's Toyota 4 Runner is an excellent car. he's had a few problems with the steering column, but other that that, nothing major except for routine matinence, like oil changes. I hope that that car lasts long enough so that I can drive it.
If I can't win, I die. But if I win, I live. And I can't win if I don't fight.
--Mikasa Ackerman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2008, 11:18:54 AM »
With a car that purdy you shoud have a carpeted garage to keep it in.

:D

as purdy as the fairmont? nah. i bought it because when my mustang got totaled, i wanted somethjing different. in this case, i got smething different AND ugly :rofl on the street though, it's fun watching ounger drivers try to figure out what the hell it is :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
Bring it over to the house with the parts, new ball joints, both upper and lower (why go halfway) and new/reconditioned cv drive axle. You buy the parts and beer, and i can have you up and running in 6 hours. :D

I'd recommend doing the ball joints (upper and lower) on both sides at the same time that way you know they are all good.

The cv joint replacement is going to cost you a small chunk of cash though. :cry

To bad i live in Illinois or you could come on over, i love working on my own vehicles. I'm always tinkering with something.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
Bring it over to the house with the parts, new ball joints, both upper and lower (why go halfway) and new/reconditioned cv drive axle. You buy the parts and beer, and i can have you up and running in 6 hours. :D

I'd recommend doing the ball joints (upper and lower) on both sides at the same time that way you know they are all good.

The cv joint replacement is going to cost you a small chunk of cash though. :cry

To bad i live in Illinois or you could come on over, i love working on my own vehicles. I'm always tinkering with something.
that cart doesn't have upper balljoints. it's a macphearson strut. the cv joint isn't that expensive. you can buy an entire reman axle for less than $150. the control arm..which is how you do these particular balljoints......should set ya back around $100 or $200. after that, it's just time, and having the right tools.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »
Didn't pay much attention to the model. Of course it's a foreign car to me so that blows the prices up. I had a Toyota 4x4 and seemed like every time i had to buy a part it was $100 bucks or more. I have a Chevy 4x4 now and it's much more reasonable price wise.

Still miss my Toyota though. :( Thing would go over, through, or around dang near anything in the woods. Only time i ever got it stuck and had to dig it out was driving home from work during a wicked snow storm and hit a 6 ft snow drift that went about 20 yards up the road and from side to side. :O Took me almost 3 hours to dig out snow from under the truck so i could back out of it.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
Holy Schneikies, Kling---that could have been fatal at high speeds.

Maybe it would be worth the gas money to have it checked at "The Norwegian Motor Vehicle Inspection Co"

BTW:  LOVE the vanity licence plate!

YOU are THE man!

ROX

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »
:rofl :rofl At least with Gremlins. Say any of those guys at the shop named Stripe or Mugwai?

Woooooohooooo oooooo oooo. That's my best Star Trek theme imitation.

Im just wondering how many. if anyone got the connection in the joke.
Course one would have to be familiour with that episode.

Im sure true trekkies picked up on what I ment right away LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty