Author Topic: Posted Earlier questions on 30/30 saddle gun  (Read 757 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Posted Earlier questions on 30/30 saddle gun
« on: July 01, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
Some of you might remember a month or so I posted with questions about a good 30/30 lever action rifle.

Liked the Marlin 336C after searching and purchased one. 

Today I took my 86 year old father out for breakfast ( he's a spry one, just had a new set of Golf Clubs built for himself).

He wanted to have the band on his new watch shortened.  We have a drive up jeweler who replaces batteries, resizes rings etc. while you wait in the car.

We arrive about 30 minutes before it opened so we needed something to do.  Just down the road is a Gander Mountain Sporting goods store.

We decided to go there to kill some time.  Bad idea.  He headed to the Fishing Dept. and I headed to the firearm Dept.  Lo and behold I find a

very nice Model 94 Winchester 30/30.  Got a barrel light from the attendant....checked out the barrel and the rest of the weapon.  I could tell

it was made prior to 1992 because of the type of safety it had.  The gentleman who just traded it in a few minutes before was standing next

to me while I was checking it out.  Needless to say I walked out of there with a Winchester Model 94.

What a country.  And God Bless the Supreme Court!  Meanwhile I meet my dad with fishing dodads and ask him what he bought.  He looked at

my purchase and said he wished he was 30 years younger so he could go with me this coming winter and fall for the white tail.

Now I have a brand new Marlin and a Model 94.  Looks like I'm selling the Marlin  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:24:21 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Re: Posted Earlier questions on 30/30 saddle gun
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
My dad has a Winchester '94 30-30 made back around 1950 when they were forging them instead of stamping them. I love shooting that gun.  On a sunny day, you can actually see the big, slow bullet traveling downrange. Congrats, no doubt you'll love that brush gun.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »
I have a 1941 Winchester 94 from my father. Haven't shot it yet. have about a 1.5 boxes of ammo and man that commercial stuff ain't cheap.

Charon

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
I have a 1970 Winchester 30/30...I love it...only shot it a few times but is is dead on......I think the ones before 1964 are better.
A friend told me they were built better....but I don't care mine shoots great!!
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »
Sadly the model 94 has been discontinued.  The New Haven plant where it was built has been closed.  The plant was owned by US Repeating Arms.  Now firearms produced with the Winchester name are manufactured in Belgium and Japan.

I know I can tell when my model 94 was produced by using the serial number.  Unfortunately I don't have the info on what site I can find that info. 

Anyone know?  I know it's pre 1992....the barrel is stamped New Haven Conn.  And the safety is definately pre 92.

Lazs where are ya?  ;)

Charon bought a box of Winchester power point 170 grs.  A little over 14 dollars for 20 rounds.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:48:04 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »
I have a couple of Winchester history books, I may be able to find out for you. But do not post the serial number here.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
I have a 1941 Winchester 94 from my father. Haven't shot it yet. have about a 1.5 boxes of ammo and man that commercial stuff ain't cheap.

Charon

I have a Marlin lever action 30/30.  With ammo being so expensive for it, and us running out of money recently, I haven't had a chance to put more than 100 rounds through it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
How much for the Marlin? Post a pic, plz.  Never had that much use for a thutty-thutty but with the new Hornady ammo I'd play around with one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
I know I can tell when my model 94 was produced by using the serial number.  Unfortunately I don't have the info on what site I can find that info. 

Anyone know?  I know it's pre 1992....the barrel is stamped New Haven Conn.  And the safety is definately pre 92.

try here hajo
http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php?file=win1894.dat

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Excel thank you.  It was manufactured in 1970.  The gentleman who owned it said he ran about 50 rounds through it and took very good care of it.  By appearences and condition he certainly did.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:27:47 PM »
Charon bought a box of Winchester power point 170 grs.  A little over 14 dollars for 20 rounds.

I have a Marlin lever action 30/30.  With ammo being so expensive for it, and us running out of money recently, I haven't had a chance to put more than 100 rounds through it.

I've been used to getting surplus at $0.10 per round, maybe $0.25 for the CMP .30-06. That's getting a lot harder, though I just bought an Interarms Polish Tantal (AK-74) mainly because Russian surplus 5.45x39 can be had for $125 per 1000. I thought .30-30 might be fairly cheap since "it's killed more deer in North America than any..." Guess I have to buckle down and look for a deal, or just buy a hundred rounds at the going rate to burn. It's a sweet rifle. My dad, a West Virginia boy who hunted by himself before most kids today get their first 10 speed (or whatever these days) and who shot competitively in the Army said it was one of the most accurate rifles he's shot.
It just occurred to me, I'll have to figure out how to break it down and clean it.

Charon

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »
hajo.. I don't really know a lot about the winchester 94's but there is this site..

http://cowichanbay.net/winchesterguns/serial94.html

I have a henry in 44 mag that I am playing around with.. I never liked the winchester and marlin versions but the henry is pretty neat... I like that fact that there is no visible safety.. it has a transfer bar like many modern revolvers such as the Ruger.. I really hate safeties on rifles except for the Garand type on/in the front of the trigger guard.   they are especially awful on guns with an exposed hammer to me.

Henry now makes a 30 30 just like my 44 mag.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h009_3030.cfm

I like the 44 because it is cheap to shoot and it shoots my favorite handgun round.. the increase of about 300 fps or so is enough to make it a pretty good gun out to about 150 yards or so.   It also holds 11 rounds and when the new "leverevolution" bullets as a component become available I may handload up a bunch to play with.

lazs

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »
Lazs I saw the Henrys at Gander Mountain.....they are beautiful.  A little pricy for me at this time.
There were no 30/30s of the Henry on the rack, saw the 44...and yes it is gorgeous.  If it shoots like it looks
I'd be greatly impressed.

In an above post I mentioned I found when the model 94 was manufactured from Excels Link.

Thanks for your help.

Btw....pre 92 model 94s have a "half cocked safety"  no visible safety.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:35:04 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline SpazMan

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 09:50:06 AM »
I have a Model 94 32 Winchester that was my Grandfather's. I remember calling Winchester, giving them the serial #, and the rep saying that is was pre 1964. I know its old cause it still has the steel butt on it. It would be nice to know what year it was made. BTW I was able to hunt with it last year here in NY. It fires like a dream.

Offline SpazMan

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 09:52:29 AM »
Just saw the link, thanks Excel....... :aok