Author Topic: Adios  (Read 914 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: Adios
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »
 :salute Olds, fun flying with and against ya.

Course I have plenty of old Pc parts that run AH great (PSU/RAM/GPU possible COPU/Mobo) We can get that Pc up and running in no time.

-Xcelsior
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
I played until March on a PIII 600 with 512 Mb RAM and a 64 Mb video card at 15-25 fps.  Post your rig specs in tech support or in the Hardware and Software Forum.  Almost any computer can run AH.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »
Hi Olds,
  I was having similar issues as late as June 30... My framerate had slowed to 10-15 FPS and I was CONSTANTLY getting disco'd and having lockups and CTDT problems. I thought it couldn't possibly be my machine or ISP and blamed HTCs equipment.

(As it turns out, I owe HTC a public apology for a scathing forum thread and several sarcastic posts)!

I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, tweaking my system settings, and reinstalling/upgrading my graphic and sound drivers, all without fixing the gameplay issues that were making Aces High unplayable on my machine. I play on a year old high end HP laptop with Windows Vista Home, connecting via DSL.

I was desperate so I  backed up my files (including the gunsights and sounds folders from Aces High) and wrote down my AH login and password. I then restored my system to the original factory image. I did have to reinstall AH and re do the settings I use in game once my machine was back "up".

THE RESULT: amazing! No more disco's, no more CTDTs and a 50-60 Frame Rate!! and my computer performs like the day I unpacked it!!

Olds if you use a Vista or XP machine you might want to try system restore and restore your machine to a date prior to having your problems. If that fails you could reinstall windows like I just did. Don't fail to back up your files BEFORE you use system restore or reinstalling windows. Having fought against you and winged with you, giving up easily doesn't seem like "you" my friend. Using the same fix I did will take a few hours, but it was worth it IMHO. System Restore is quicker. Don't resign so quickly... If I was the AAs CO, I would NOT accept your resignation until you have exhausted efforts to resolve your problem. Your problem sounds like a software or system resource issue to me... Don't spend the dough on a new machine (yet) particularly if it is less than 3 years old until you have at least tried to "fix" it. Feel free to PM me if you need (or want) my help.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
As Maj said try fixing that PC of yours!  If you have a system the can use PCI-E x16 or if you want more ram (PC-3200) or if you have a Socket 939 Board and a CPU older than AMD Athlon 3500+, i got some spare parts, and i can pay for shipping.  You can't just give up, be less fun without ya :cry.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »
"bruthas n sistas"

:lol

:rolleyes:
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
You'll be missed Olds. My advice is to break out a credit card and run out and buy that gameing smoker youv had your eyes on.

Life is short. After a week gone due to wife ack I told my wife "good luck finding another employed man" and signed back up, after having lost thousands of perks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 11:29:01 AM »
The computer I play on is my Step-Dads and it is provided thru his work, so I can't just go and make adjustments to his machine---as much as I'd like too.  Ive suggested wiping the machine of old data and letting it get a fresh start.  The machine is always on high idle and we cant for the life of us figure out why.  My plan is to get my own computer and end this matter once and for all----once I can squirrel away that kind of $$$.

My personal life is a total mess in financial terms at present, I have an 84 Camaro and a PoS, rifles and pistols, bills (lots of them) and other things demanding my time and money right now.  In short, I got a lot of crap I must solve first before I can buy myself of new computer.

How do I do a diagnostic test of the computer to determine how it is running and what parts may be bad?

Thank you all for you time and insights.  I hope to not be gone too long as this is my favorite game to play.  Its has the best players!
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
No need to pay for parts Olds, I'm sure we could round up all the parts you'd need :D.  Course the personal stuff needs more attention, Good luck :aok.

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
If I find out that it is parts on the computer causing the trouble, I shall certainly post them up here.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
You're one of the good ones sir!!!

We'll fight again soon!

:salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Sorry to see you leaving. Hope to see you again soon!
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
 :salute one of r squadies also was outdate with the last patch. he had a  old system he's still currently looking to replace as soon a he can afford it it looks like 350 -400 $ will do os save up and we'll c yo later <S>
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
Olds, try the easiest stuff first.

If not already installed, go to downloads.com and D/L and install an anti-virus program (like AVG Free edition) and a spyware scanner/remover (there are several free ones).

Do a spyware/adware/virus scan.

Next, run Scandisc (in programs/accessories/system tools) then run disc clean-up in the same location.

Go to My Computer/C Drive/Windows/Temp.  Delete anything remaining in the Temp folder.

Open Internet explorer and click Tools/Internet Options then delete cookies, delete files and clear history.

Go back to programs/accessories/system tools and run disc defragmenter on all hard drives.

Click Start/Run.  Type in msconfig.  Click the start menu tab and close anything that's not needed (you might have to do some web-searches to know what's safe to turn off).

Open any anti-virus, anti-spyware programs and shut them off.

Go try the game.  At least now the system is clean and if you still have problems it's likely in the hardware or it's a specific software conflict.

Good luck.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
See ya when you get back, Olds.
<S>!
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
Virus and spyware checks are complete and solved.  Using McAfee and Search&Destroy.  

I've done all the mundane things I can do to make the computer happy such as the options available thru Windows System Tools for XP.  I also cleared out the web browser of all cookies and related items.

What failing hardware component would make a computer idle on high all the time?

Overall, I just want to get a new computer rather than deal with this PoS.

One of my squaddies plays on laptop and im wondering if I can make a dedicated laptop to play the game and what such would cost, then I could play on the move or would a PC be a better choice? 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:54:43 PM by AAolds »