Author Topic: Perk The Wirblewind  (Read 1450 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Perk The Wirblewind
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
Hope the issue hasn't been discussed before. I don't recall it being.

Ok. Show of hands: How many of you think the whirblewind anti- aircraft gun should be perked? And this is coming from someone who loves shooting planes down with them. I just think they're taking over the game in a not- so good way.

Seems to me it's so easy to shoot planes down with the WW that just about anyone can create havoc with one and more and more I'm seeing WWs as the vehicle of choice to attack with. I understand that. Heck, I've done it myself.

It just seems to me it's done too much and you end up with lengthy battles with WWs that won't go away.

They certainly wouldn't go away entirely even if some hefty points were charged for taking one out, but maybe the game wouldn't be dominated so much by them?

The one reservation I have in this regard is I do like to see WW available for fields under attack and vastly outnumbered. I've used them to good effect then even though the field was taken anyway. Nice to give the winners a parting bloody nose, though.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Re: Perk The Wirblewind
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
I dont think their is a need for it.But dont matter to me i prefer the ostwind when im in a flak GV.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
This topic has been covered at least a few times.  But I'll admit that I'm a very bad shot in the WW.  I have never shot someone down past 800 yards out, and there has to be very little deflection for me to land hits unless the target is in my face.  Then again, I don't spend a lot of time in GV's; some people seem to live in them.

The really good shots are still in ostwinds.  When you see one of those you better watch out.  Even a wingman might not help! :eek:

Don't perk it.  I like dropping bombs on them.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
I'm more afraid of Ostwinds than Wirbelwinds.

And I've never seen this 'domination of the game' that you're describing.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
Ostwind's and FG's have a longer range than a WW.   The majority of those who roll a WW are ammo sprayers who are trying to clear a vultch. 

I'd enter in some comments from the "Ostie vs. WW" thread in the A&V section, but I'll spare some the whines that they'll spew.   

WW's do NOT need to be perked.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »
Lower ENY for sure, perk a big NO.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
In most cases it always seems to be the vulch tards that cry about WW's, I dunno if you are a vulch tard or not but those are the ones that always complain about them. If you don't vulch it's pretty unlikely you will get shot down by them. I've died 4 times this tour due to a WW and evey time was on base defense in a B24H which is to be expected, because it's a big slow target.

The only time I've ever had a problem with WW's is when they sit out in the woods in the middle of a furball shooting low planes. In that case they are pretty lame.

In short I like WW's because they help stop vulches...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:06:44 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »

Ok. Show of hands: How many of you think the whirblewind anti- aircraft gun should be perked? And this is coming from someone who loves shooting planes down with them. I just think they're taking over the game in a not- so good way.

Seems to me it's so easy to shoot planes down with the WW that just about anyone can create havoc with one and more and more I'm seeing WWs as the vehicle of choice to attack with. I understand that. Heck, I've done it myself.

It just seems to me it's done too much and you end up with lengthy battles with WWs that won't go away.

They certainly wouldn't go away entirely even if some hefty points were charged for taking one out, but maybe the game wouldn't be dominated so much by them?

The one reservation I have in this regard is I do like to see WW available for fields under attack and vastly outnumbered. I've used them to good effect then even though the field was taken anyway. Nice to give the winners a parting bloody nose, though.

A "search" could have answered that question.

Let me see ... an armored vehicle sitting on a panzer frame that has a turret attached to it with quad 20mm cannons on it that can throw up a wall of 20mm lead ... add that to an inordinate amount of brainless pilots that think that they can come directly at a WW or fly lazily within 1K and not pay a price.

NO ... it's not the WW's fault ... it's the brainless airplane pilots that venture too close. How about we deduct perk points from those who get killed by WWs.

All one needs to do is get some alt ... drop in a 80 to 90 degree dive angle at the WW ... throw out some .50 cals or cannons and it will turn into a big piece of movable metal that has just been de-fanged and is useless at teats on a bull.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:12:07 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
A "search" could have answered that question.

Let me see ... an armored vehicle sitting on a panzer frame that has a turret attached to it with quad 20mm cannons on it that can throw up a wall of 20mm lead ... add that to an inordinate amount of brainless pilots that think that they can come directly at a WW or fly lazily within 1K and not pay a price.

NO ... it's not the WW's fault ... it's the brainless airplane pilots that venture too close. How about we deduct perk points from those who get killed by WWs.

All one needs to do is get some alt ... drop in a 80 to 90 degree dive angle at the WW ... throw out some .50 cals or cannons and it will turn into a big piece of movable metal that has just been de-fanged and it useless at teats on a bull.

Oh noes.     I more or less stated the same about turreting them in an La7.    Incoming!!! 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Oh noes.     I more or less stated the same about turreting them in an La7.    Incoming!!! 

I know ... we have already been around this horn ... and let's not forget add ... the same tatics works on the Ostwind too.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
If you're so close to the airfield you're within the effective range of an AA vehicle you get exactly what you deserve. ;) It should be pretty obvious with the added Field Guns and AA vehicle that vulching is generally considered a public nuisance by the powers that be. Go ahead and let the defenders get their wheels up and get a smidgeon of E before you pounce, it'll be more fun for everyone and you won't have to worry about Whirblewinds and stuff.  :aok
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:16:52 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
I don't know that I've been bothered too much by them near airfields. As I said, one reservation I did have about making this suggestion is I want them available for airfield defense when an airfield is being overwhelmed.

My main problem is when a bunch of them attack a town. I'll admit, as much as I enjoy the WW myself, I also LOVE gv busting and my latest thing is going after gvs in a b25. B25s are too easy of a target for a WW, imo, especially when there's three or four WWs and they keep getting resupplied.

Another thing I've found, with b25s is, by the time the icon of the WW shows up I'm already in their kill range and the 25 is so sluggish it's hard to get out of the line of fire in time. Switching to a quicker plane can help with that, but I know that no plane is safe around me when I'm in a WW.

Of course, alongside WWs, the biggest annoyance for me when I'm tank busting in a b25 is enemy planes showing up.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:57 PM »
And on that note i say they should charge perks for eggs, because it is jut to easy and takes no skill to up a set of heavy buffs to egg GV's  :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:43:40 PM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
I don't know that I've been bothered too much by them near airfields. As I said, one reservation I did have about making this suggestion is I want them available for airfield defense when an airfield is being overwhelmed.

My main problem is when a bunch of them attack a town. I'll admit, as much as I enjoy the WW myself, I also LOVE gv busting and my latest thing is going after gvs in a b25. B25s are too easy of a target for a WW, imo, especially when there's three or four WWs and they keep getting resupplied.

Another thing I've found, with b25s is, by the time the icon of the WW shows up I'm already in their kill range and the 25 is so sluggish it's hard to get out of the line of fire in time. Switching to a quicker plane can help with that, but I know that no plane is safe around me when I'm in a WW.

Of course, alongside WWs, the biggest annoyance for me when I'm tank busting in a b25 is enemy planes showing up.

I treat the WW and the OW the same ... with much respect and even more so the OW

1 hit from an OW will ruin your sortie for sure ... I have taken multiple hits from a WW in my F6F and continued the sortie ... not true from an OW.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 04:47:24 PM »

You just gotta use tactics. But the thing is with tactics is though, they're usually for 1 WW. But you can turret it pretty easily w/ .303s.

I think I actually got turreted by a dude in a Parachute!  :O :lol
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes