Author Topic: Player's rankings  (Read 1585 times)

Offline OHIO

• Zinc Member
Player's rankings
« on: June 18, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
As a new guy to the world of Ace's High, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on why we have player rankings, I know I have yet to step foot in a online arena, but I'm still in the process of working out a few bugs on my machine and also trying to get the feel for the gameplay, I could not find anything as to the respects of what constitutes a player being ranked over another, like the post on gunnman26 being booted of the bridge of a CV by a higher ranking pilot, I was wondering if this is the NORM for Newbie's or underclass pilots to be outranked and kicked to the side, normaly I would think that a pilot would be respected by his kill ratio and fighter points, hence skillz.  If someone could point me to the right info on this subject so I could read up on and let my squad back on Air Warrior know how it works would be most welcomed, remember I need all the bullets I can get to get these bum's over here!  :confused:

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Player's rankings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
Player ranking in AH is very simple.  There is "Fighter", "Attack", "Bomber" and "GV/Ship".  

Each group has individual statistics that are tracked.  Everyone is listed in order for each statistic and assigned a value by ranking.  If you have the third best gunnery % in a fighter, you will get 3 points.  

Your points for each category is added up to determine your ranking in the various type rankings... the lowest total is ranked #1.  Those rankings are then added up to figure out your overall rank.

Basically... its just a statistics game.  It doesn't really hold much relevance and shouldn't be used to judge who the better pilots are.

Personally, I judge the better pilots by looking at their name in the text buffer when they shoot me down.

AKDejaVu

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
If you look on the score page (is linked from www.hitechcreations.com),  you'll find several ranks.  Fighter, Bomber, Overall, etc.  The rank that is shown in the MA is your Overall rank, which is basically the total of all the 'points' you've earned in all of the categories.  The only thing rank is good for is controlling the CV group.  Other than that, it's only as important as you deem it to be.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Rumor has it that the ranking was devised by HT at 4:00 AM on the last day of last year's Con.  No one has been able to reverse engineer the formula, so it remains a mystery.   :)

Check "Scores" on the HTC home page.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
Rankings are long term scores for how GOOD a pilot is. Normally, Ranking 200th wouldn't necessarily mean a pilot's a LOT better than a 300th ranker, but from the long point of view, it does prove IN THE WHOLE how capable a pilot is of survivng the .. ermm... "WAR", let's put it.

For instance, "Pilot A" could be a lot more hotshot pilot in 1 on 1 bouts against a certain "Pilot B", and A could probably shoot down B 1 on 1 like a zillion times... but as a WHOLE, and as a team player, the skills and contributions of B could be a lot better than A. Rankings and Scores provide certain amount of data (not enough for any kind of absolute judgement) to suggest how good a pilot might be.

In most cases, high ranking pilots are truly good in all aspects, and earn enough respect amongst the mingling mediocre like me   ;)  But sometimes, a high ranker might be a total "Lone-Wolf", or maybe he could have gotten his good scores and ratios by sneaking in a furball, chase a plane that is already chased by like 10 million friendlies.. or he just hasn't flown enough sorties to prove any solid data... in any case, what I'm trying to say is rankings exist for data AND for fun, just a teeney glimpse of truth.

But, as a lot of people would admit, being a high ranking pilot doesn't necessarily mean he also ranks high in mental health, or maybe in virtues like modesty, kindness, etc etc etc   :rolleyes:

And also, sometimes, some high rankers give so much respect or acknowledgements EXCLUSIVELY amongst their own kind that they tend to ignore or put down the dweebey, the  mediocre, and the beginners - you know, common people.

And in some cases, sadly, some people somehow think being high ranked gives them some EXCLUSIVE PRESTIGE that they could say mean things to other people and get away with it. Friendly jokes, puns and cynicism is one thing, sick mental behavior is another.

And so it goes this complaint and dissatisfaction amongst some people. Some would say it's whining, and some might say it's a just complaint. In anycase, like the society we live in, we have many kinds of people with many different personalities - from mature to 'psychopath'.

As for me, I think ranks don't mean SH** when it comes to social relations.   :p

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
Player's rankings
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
Perk the ranks!  :D

Only thing I use the statistics for is to find what needs work. I'm practicing on winging and surviving now.
Too many variables to try to calculate in a viable algorithm to keep accurate scores "IMHO".

Nomde
http://www1.jump.net/~cs3/index.php" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS/56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

"God loves the 56th"

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2001, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by OHIO:
like the post on gunnman26 being booted of the bridge of a CV by a higher ranking pilot, I was wondering if this is the NORM for Newbie's or underclass pilots to be outranked and kicked to the side, :

I don't think this is the norm, unless you act like gunman26.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
The ONLY practical reason to worry about ranking is to get to drive the carrier.  In fact, the higher your ranking is the more likely it is you'll be called a score potato  :)

Seriously, player ranking means very little for the gameplay.  Perk points can determine if you get to use certain vehicles and planes, but ranking doesn't really mean anything.  There's nothing but the carrier steering wheel you can be displaced from by a higher ranked player, and if one of them does that to you in a rude fashion you can always switch sides and sink the sumbeetch out from under him then get some friends together and dweebhunt him until he logs out  ;)

I wrote a dweebhunt FAQ a while ago and a few people mirrored it but I don't have any of those URL's bookmarked for some reason   :rolleyes:
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
You are "ranked" not only for all your skills  taken together (pilot, gv, etc.) but in each individual "skill".   Some people only fly fighters and nothing else.   Some only bombers and some only GV's... Their "overall rank" will be low.  Allso... points are used I believe so that a person who camps out on line will have a higher score than a more skilled player who spends very little time online.   Basicaly, unless you wish to drive the CV.... Rank is simply silly in AH.
lazs

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
I've got more votes than you do Lazs.

-SW

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »
don't care : have fun !
(IMO it's primordial !)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Player's rankings
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Rankings are a joke and don't usually reflect the skill of a pilot.

Most good pilots fly for squads and have objectives other than getting a high score.

If you cover your wingman and try to do captures, your 'score' will suffer.

IMO the score has little to do with skill... more like a 'stay alive at all costs' rating.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
yes sw... it is a great source of pride for me.  

Oh... I also told my squaddies and relatives not to vote for me.  Still.... you have been particularly abrasive lately.... score potato in all things eh?
lazs
Public Relations Officer and
Ambassador of Good Will for the BK's

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: lazs1 ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
I don't even know who voted for me, I don't care either. I was just joking around with you, but whatever...

I'm always abrasive, and I will always be a score potato.

I just love score whoring, especially since now I'm a Bishop... Outnumber everyone, we gang bang AND best of all... WE GET TO BOMB OUT ALL OF YOUR FIGHTER HANGAR LAZS!!!  

I hope you like driving tanks or flying bombers.    

-SW

Offline OHIO

• Zinc Member
Player's rankings
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I have a better understanding of the ranking process and it's clear that it has no real bearing on the SIM it's self, like I said in my first post, I have yet to fly online yet and I have recieved 3 votes already  :D

Now if I could just get the Bug's worked out on the down load I will be ok.  :mad: