Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8509 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »
The worse aspect of an otherwise wonderful game. A tempy jams on the brakes in front of me, causes the collision, I go down... he flies off unscathed. Hitech, fix the code. If I take damage, he has to take damage, dammit.                 :mad:
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »
If I take damage, he has to take damage, dammit.                 :mad:

I'd have to agree with that.   :uhoh

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:24:06 AM »
<insert beating dead horse image here>
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:19 AM »

Make it a dead pony.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:23 AM »
After so many years in game you should know that this isn't fixable and indeed works as intended.  ;)

Hitech, fix the code. If I take damage, he has to take damage, dammit.                 :mad:

You are aware that this would of course also work the other way? An enemy plane passing you at a distance of 100 yards, and you suddenly go down because of a collision that never happened on your screen? - That's exactly what you would get with "both take damage"

My old pictures. Both showing the exact the same moment, taken from each players screen:

P-51 Player's View.

P-47 Player's View.

Collision happened only on P-51 player's screen. Only Pony took damage. Fair deal.

No one came ever up with a better solution for the fact that internet data travel & processing is not instant.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:31:18 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:37:19 AM »
So, its the P-47 that has the bad connection?? Alright! That means I don't have to waorry about hitting planes dur to lag on my end!  :D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:01:42 AM »
So, its the P-47 that has the bad connection?? Alright! That means I don't have to waorry about hitting planes dur to lag on my end!  :D

:D

But as there are few popular misconceptions about that stuff, let's pretend you were serious ;) :

Both players had  stable connections, pings were ~150ms.

And there is always a difference between two player's "realities" (=what they see on their respective screens). It can be larger or smaller than that you can see in the pics above, but it's depending on both players connections.  And no, a low ping does neither helps you in collisions, nor does it put you ad a disadvantage.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:38 AM »
Steve, as said above it's the internet that's sucking.  You can just ignore what the other guy may or may not see.. Just worry about what's on your screen. :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:25:57 AM »
get a wingman on vox fly right alongside him and then ask him how far he sees you away.

I've been parked on his wing for him to say im at 50-60.

Therein lies your answer  even playing from the same country when you throw in japanese, australian players there will be an even bigger gap.

I agree it is annoying as hell when they fly off undamaged.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 05:19:26 AM »

Request granted  :aok

But yes, it sucks...........
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:25:28 AM »
No way around the collision model. As much as we revile it. One thing I'd like to see fixed however is to make the game unable to blame a bomber for a collision when a fighter is IB in its rear quarters at high speed. Thats just silly, to give the bomber the collide when a 163 runs into its tail at 500 mph.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
No way around the collision model. As much as we revile it. One thing I'd like to see fixed however is to make the game unable to blame a bomber for a collision when a fighter is IB in its rear quarters at high speed. Thats just silly, to give the bomber the collide when a 163 runs into its tail at 500 mph.

personally, i don't hate it anymore.

i just be sure to stay far enough away that a collision won't happen.

as for giving the buffs gettng hit....whenever i've been flying buffs, i've never taken damage from a collision in a buff. i have, however been awarded numerous kills from guys hitting me though. :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »
You fail to understand collisions in AH and continue to insist on seeing them as you see real life traffic collisions, with an "at fault" person.  The sooner you disabuse yourself of this the sooner you'll understand why a great many of us not only don't revile the collision model, but agree whole heartedly with HiTech that it is the best possible solution given how the internet works.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
I suffered two collisions last night. Both my fault. I was in a P-47D-25 and bounced a Zero. I blew off his tail, he flipped up right into my path.. Bad luck...

Second one was with an F4U. I bounced him with a Mustang, blasted off a wing and the Corsair snap-rolled into me, doing extensive damage. Having a pair of 1k bombs, I was unable to completely evade the demolished F4U. I later augered that same P-51 dive bombing GVs while missing an elevator (I was also missing a flap, oil cooler and radiator from the collision). I had five fighter kills and a Panzer when I plowed up the ground. Again, my fault for diving too fast with a missing elevator. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

These things are annoying, but it's best to chuckle at them and go get another aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.