Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
The only thing that makes sense is for both planes to take damage or neither take damage.

(ah, quoted me while I was correcting my post)

Actually it doesn't make any sense at all. I real world it would, but not with the techical limitations of internet.

As I stated before:

- Nobody taking damage will result in people just flying gunz blazing through each other
- Both taking damage.. I'm pretty sure nobody would complain about taking dmaage from an enemy rammer he clearly dodged on his screen ;)
See again the screenshots I posted... explain to the P47 pilot why he should have taken damage.

HTC solution is brilliant and as perfect as it can get, until the internet gets faster than light  :aok

I fail to understand how this would create a bunch of kamikaze pilots since you can already deliberately ram planes.  All you have to do is make sure their FE see a collision too. It's quite simple.  Your argument is wrong.

And how do you do that? You don't know what's happening on their FE. You can guess, you can try but you will mostly fail.
"Both damage" would be a guaranteed succes when trying to ram. And worse, with current CM I can doge your ram attempt, because what i see is what i get. With "Both Damage" the rammer has every advantage.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:08:02 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 04:06:28 PM »
(ah, quoted me while I was correcting my post)

Actually it doesn't make any sense at all. I real world it would, but not with the techical limitations of internet.

As I stated before:

- Nobody taking damage will result in people just flying gunz blazing through each other
-

uhh, you didn't read or comprehend what I said about computing collisions.  I NEVER said they should be off.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
uhh, you didn't read or comprehend what I said about computing collisions.  I NEVER said they should be off.

You should reread my posting. I'm talking not onyl about nobody damage, I discuss both "alternatives".

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »
You should reread my posting. I'm talking not onyl about nobody damage, I discuss both "alternatives".

Well your guns blazing text has nothing to do with what I'm saying.  Nothing.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
If one FE determines a collision, query the other to see how close it was. Average it out... if it doesn't average to a collision on both FE's, no collision. Calculation wouldn't take any longer than computiong bullet travel. Both planes must either take or not take damage. No other way makes sense.

What would be acceptable average distance for both parties to take damage?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »
Well your guns blazing text has nothing to do with what I'm saying.  Nothing.

:rofl

I'm not solemny talking to and about you. While I do adress your "fix"  I also take the liberty to discuss the other frequently proposed "alternative" (no damage). Yes, two different variants covered in  one posting.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »

Now we're getting somewhere!  Good question. I think you'd have to know more than what I know as far as average latency, typical distance differences in both FE's, etc.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
:rofl

I'm not solemny talking to and about you. While I do adress your "fix"  I also take the liberty to discuss the other frequently proposed "alternative" (no damage). Yes, two different things variants coveredin one posting.

Oh, so you were hijacking... carry on.  :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
Oh, so you were hijacking... carry on.  :)

Nope. I was straight on topic "Collisions".

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Nope. I was straight on topic "Collisions".
I'm done with you.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 04:17:46 PM »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »

ok.........

in the arenas, sooo many people game the game.
that is what will cause the problems if everyone in a collision takes damage. think about it.

if valdals knows for fact that if he rams me, regardless of what i'm in, and that i'll take damage, then he's going to try like all hell to hit me. even if he knows that he'll take damage too, what if i'm shot up enough that his collision with me creates enough damage for my wing to come off?

as it is now, for the most part, you hit them, you take damage. THAT is a good incentive to fight, rather than ram.
 if the modeling were to be changed, all you'd get would be rmtards. look at base defense. they'd come up, ram ya, doing enough damage that you're outta the fight. it'll take you 10 minutes to get back to the fight. all he has to do is to re-up.

see the point? it may not be perfect. it may not always work well. but it is actually the best solution to this problem.
 it's REALLY not that hard to avoid hitting your intended victem. on occasion you'll get hit, but it's still just a game.

i actually think it should go a step farther, and friendly collisions should be turned on too. that would prevent you having 3-6 bogies on our direct six as you try to get outta dodge.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
ok.........

if the modeling were to be changed, all you'd get would be rmtards.

Where can I get a crystal ball so I can know the future as well?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
All that matters is what you see on your computer.  If there's contact, there should be a collision. 

Your front-end shows you a scene from the virtual world.  It sends that slice of life across the ether to HTC's servers, where it gets sent back through the ether to everyone else's front-end who is within a preset distance to where you would have any influence in their little slice of life.  Their front-end processes that info and determines where you were at the time your front-end sent the info.  Then, their front-end has to do the reverse for you to see where they were.  The two scenes will never be exactly in sync because we live in a physical universe and there are certain fundamental laws of physics that prevent the type of interaction you wish for.  All this has been excellently pointed out numerous times (even with pictures for the ones who can't read well) in this thread.

Geez, it's a game...get over it.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »

i actually think it should go a step farther, and friendly collisions should be turned on too. that would prevent you having 3-6 bogies on our direct six as you try to get outta dodge.

Apart from the obvious spawning problem, that would create the same havoc as if you turn killshooter of.

I don't like you? I'm gonna ram you when you are returning to base with a few kills under your belt.
And you would have to keep a very wary eye on every friendly pliot around - he could be new (hello number dude) or just bad enough at the stick so that he suddenly turns into a big danger for you.