Author Topic: Arena Cap is not cool...  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Arena Cap is not cool...
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
HTC my only request on ANY Thread about this, will be done NOW.

One Late War with a larger cap.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
HTC my only request on ANY Thread about this, will be done NOW.

One Late War with a larger cap.   

There's a lot of people who only log-in on Titanic Tuesday and weekends now when the population density is highest...HTC must keep hard data on this...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:42:16 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
There's a lot of people who only log-in on Titanic Tuesday and weekends now when the population density is highest...HTC must keep hard data on this...

Gee, I know quite a few people who don't log into the game on Titanic Tuesday AT ALL, and I'm relatively new around here.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
I bet they do... Though if all this was to change one day, and say we did only have one large arena  .... <scary music> .... There'd be chaos from others posting/complaining instantly the exact opposite of what this discussion brings to our community. Though they'd probably  not read this thread before posting the "What the?!?!?" "This is rediculous" "need to split..." etc.

I think the main issue at the start of this thread was the waiting 45 minutes to get into the arena that I (we) wanted, and pay for...

All good discussion here though. <S> & thanks for responding gents.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:48:58 PM by bnasty »
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »
Gee, I know quite a few people who don't log into the game on Titanic Tuesday AT ALL, and I'm relatively new around here.

I said a lot, not everyone... ;)

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »
Zazen I agree with your many points....The one day I now look forward to the most is Tuesdays...I think many... the majority of players are frustrated with the "cap" thingy.....
<S>999000

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
Zazen I agree with your many points....The one day I now look forward to the most is Tuesdays...I think many... the majority of players are frustrated with the "cap" thingy.....
<S>999000

:salute
Yup, it's the only time the population density is sufficient to really enjoy the classic fun we used to have everynight.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:34 AM »

There were 1000s of threads complaining about the gameplay and the community. As the number of subscribes grew, the positive feeling about  AH community went down the drain. The general consensus was that smaller numbers in arenas are beneficial for social interaction and building a better community, and with that, better gameplay.

That was the reason for arena caps. We also got side balancing for better play.

Not only that but i think the average AH player age is 3 now, i often wonder when mommy is gonna come breast feed them.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:03 AM »
If I fly during the week It'll usually be on TT (Wednesday for me). Other than that I fly Friday nights (poor numbers), Saturdays and Sundays.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 07:37:57 AM »

I am one of those.

I have been spending more time in the Blue Arena as of late ... population-wise, it reminds me of AH1 days.

I like to play the "interdiction" role. I scan the map for the outlying bases that are blinking and play the "spoiler". This allows me to get into many fights and most times, I don't have to fight my own guys for a kill. I also watch the country text closely and look for "alerts" or "I/We could use some help at Axxx". So, what others may find as a fault of running a large map in Blue, I find entertaining.

If I participate in an offensive role, it is usually off a CV where there are few guys attacking a field and they are running into opposition. If they are milk-running a field or the fight becomes too lopsided in our favor, I move on looking for somewhere else that has a fight.

I think it's a case of too many changes too quickly in a somewhat knee-jerk over-reaction to a problem that was mostly just a simple matter of perception and perspective.

A rather large assumption on your part.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 07:56:26 AM »
A rather large assumption on your part.

No doubt, that's why I said "I think..." and not "It is...". "It is" just my personal opinion too many sweeping fundamental changes were made too quickly. In some cases the "cure was worse than the disease". Also, any one who has done any programming will tell you, you don't want to change more than one thing at a time, it makes debugging exponentially harder. When we changed several fundamental aspects of gameplay almost simultaneously it became impossible to discern objectively which one was having a positive or negative impact upon the desired effect. They became inexorably intertwined making establishing a clear cause and effect relationship, for the purpose of objectively determining the efficacy of each change, extremely problematic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:05:18 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 07:58:21 AM »

I have been spending more time in the Blue Arena as of late ... population-wise, it reminds me of AH1 days.

I like to play the "interdiction" role. I scan the map for the outlying bases that are blinking and play the "spoiler". This allows me to get into many fights and most times, I don't have to fight my own guys for a kill. I also watch the country text closely and look for "alerts" or "I/We could use some help at Axxx". So, what others may find as a fault of running a large map in Blue, I find entertaining.

Slapshot, log into MW as a Bish or Nit. You'll have more fun than you can shake a hockey stick at  :rofl

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
No doubt, that's why I said "I think..." and not "It is...". "It is" just my personal opinion too many sweeping fundamental changes were made too quickly. In some cases the "cure was worse than the disease". Also, any one who has done any programming will tell you, you don't want to change more than one thing at a time, it makes debugging exponentially harder. When we changed several fundamental aspects of gameplay almost simultaneously it became impossible to discern objectively which one was having a positive or negative impact upon the desired effect. They became inexorably intertwined making establishing a clear cause and effect relationship, for the purpose of objectively determining the efficacy of each change, extremely problematic.

Well ... I have been profesionally programming since '78 so yes, I know all about debugging.

I watched with great intent the machinations that HT went thru when making those changes, and I saw nothing wrong with his application/implementation of those changes so as to not fall into the trap(s) that you have mentioned.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »
Slapshot, log into MW as a Bish or Nit. You'll have more fun than you can shake a hockey stick at  :rofl

Max ... I do spend most of my time in MW, unless of course they have Uterus or a map that has no water. I mostly fly for Knights banging heads with the Rooks, but as of late, I have been switching to the Bish when their numbers were ridiculously low.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »
Game play.........I must be an idiott...what I see is this..

1. Somebody is organizing a GV attack
2. Somebody is organizing a HQ Raid
3. Somebody is defending a field against a gv attack
4. Somebody is organizing a base capture
5. Some people are furballing between two close bases ..sometimes it stays as a furball sometimes it ends with a base capture.
6. Some people are running supplies to a field or to a friend who needs GV supplies
7. Some people are trying to sink CV's sometimes with bombs or torps or with pt boats.
8. Some people are trying to do large bomber raids.
9. Some people up 262's to knock off the goons attempting to take a base.

Ok this is the tip of the iceberg.... many other things going on .....ENDLESS variations of just the above going on! On any big map any and all these things can be going on! Great game play, something for everyone!  Tuesdays Rock! I still don't understand the cap thing..I am the village idiott.
<S>999000