Author Topic: This Week - FinRus  (Read 1892 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Re: This Week - FinRus
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
Am I the only one who can't get the cross- country vox channel ("All") to work?

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
I'd like to see 2 simple objectives set .  1 for each side.  Capture x base and you win.  The map wouldn't be reset once one side one.. just reset the bases and do it again with new objectives.
JG11

Vater

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
Xtyger,  the All channel was dumped by HTC a while ago bud.  You need to tune to channel 200 to talk across all countries.  Even then some folks are not tuned into 200 chat.  There is a way that you can talk to individuals on their private vox also.  I believe this is a fairly new option.

Virage,  The way things have been going, base capture and win criteria are still somewhat debatable in added benefit to the Axis versus Allies arena.  Even with base capture and perk points virtually unimportant objectives of the arena, folks still resort to griefing behavior such as vulching airfields for the sole purpose of, I don't know, entertaining themselves at others' expense,  or landing "kills".

The most important aspect of this arena has been the "air combat" featuring side specific rides
(you don't have pony pilots on the same side with LW pilots).  Not everyone that visits the arena understands this.  To complicate things, whenever field capture is an objective, vulching is an "acceptable" practice to allow troops to enter the maproom and suppress defenders of a town.  This pretty much forces two things that don't promote air combat.  1.  Large suppressing forces outnumbering defending pilots.  2.  Sneak attacks avoiding radar contact in force to surprise unaware defenders.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »
We've hardened all towns and made it possible only to capture VH's or any airfield without a town. Base capture is now just 35 troops.

Now, that is the way to go I believe.  Sorry, I didn't know that you could only capture Vehicle Bases.  So, what is the point of vulching airfields?  (rhetorical question for the dweebs that continue to do it)

I like this  :aok :aok  Fork, maybe you should update the MOTD and highlight this information BASE CAPTURE ENABLED AT VEHICLE BASES ONLY 

I don't know about the airfields with no towns :confused:  Seems that brings the vulch into play considering only one vehicle hangar to kill and then only defense would be manned ack or aircraft. :mad:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:30:39 AM by Chilli »

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
Chili, your definition of what you think the AVA 'should' be is very limited.

If you want a vibrant arena you have to cater to all types of players not just I segment of the population.

I think the bias against base capture is wrong.  It doesn't preclude any other type of gameplay.

Vultching has nothing to do with it, there is plenty of that going on right now in the AVA.
JG11

Vater

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
I'm a bit curious that the P-39D isnt available?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
I'm a bit curious that the P-39D isnt available?

Do we have an East Front skin for the D?

For that matter....did the Bolsheviks get many Ds?

- oldman (easy enuf to put in if it's correct to put it in)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

Yes, Brits sent them P-39D-1. P-39D-2 was also land lease version...

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »
Does mean the war is over and I can return to the old ava?
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »

If you want a vibrant arena you have to cater to all types of players not just I segment of the population.

I think the bias against base capture is wrong.  It doesn't preclude any other type of gameplay.

Vultching has nothing to do with it, there is plenty of that going on right now in the AVA.

I like some form of base capture with an overall objective.  It adds variety as there is a purpose to ground attack planes, bombers, C47s, GVs, and the like.  

Perhaps something like a side capturing X number of enemy bases while holding all of their own.  The map is manually reset once the objectives are reached.  The staff checks the map once a morning (enough staff to split the work), does the count of bases, updates MOTD with the count of wins for the week and resets the map back to the starting point that morning if there is a winner.  This can continue for a week resetting everytime the objective is reached for a side.  

It's a very "light" war concept as a backdrop to the AvA fight.  No commanders would be needed.  There is no overwhelming pressure to win.  It would use existing game features.  Downtimes should be low so bases pop back up fast and the fights can continue, just over new terrain.  People can game it and play overnight to pork, but who cares.  It just resets and we go again.  The porkers own side would probably get upset for not having the opportunity to close on the map themselves.

Venom

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
I like some form of base capture with an overall objective.  It adds variety as there is a purpose to ground attack planes, bombers, C47s, GVs, and the like.  

Perhaps something like a side capturing X number of enemy bases while holding all of their own.  The map is manually reset once the objectives are reached.  The staff checks the map once a morning (enough staff to split the work), does the count of bases, updates MOTD with the count of wins for the week and resets the map back to the starting point that morning if there is a winner.  This can continue for a week resetting everytime the objective is reached for a side.  

It's a very "light" war concept as a backdrop to the AvA fight.  No commanders would be needed.  There is no overwhelming pressure to win.  It would use existing game features.  Downtimes should be low so bases pop back up fast and the fights can continue, just over new terrain.  People can game it and play overnight to pork, but who cares.  It just resets and we go again.  The porkers own side would probably get upset for not having the opportunity to close on the map themselves.

Venom

Yes.  We need to allow all types a chance to engage in their activity of choice.  Great post Venom!
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
Do we have an East Front skin for the D?

- oldman (easy enuf to put in if it's correct to put it in)

Actually the D was the backbone of the early VVS guards units flying lendlease planes. (late42-thru mid43) even when the Q's began arriving the D's were still in service. I'd bet alot of D's ended up on the Finnish front...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »

Thank you for your opinion Virage.  I am only expressing mine.  I don't agree that my definition of what AvA shoud be is very limited at all, just what it should not be.  In my second post I totally agree with the base capture idea for Vehicle bases.  It is a little bit more difficult to vulch ground vehicles shooting back at you.

The most important aspect of this arena has been the "air combat" featuring side specific rides (you don't have pony pilots on the same side with LW pilots).

Is that what you are calling limited?  Or do you mean to tell me and every other pilot who has defended against a NOE raid, (Nap Of Earth) flown to avoid detection by defending fighters vulching, HOing, Ganging, or Ramming does not occur, just to insure the desired result = one base captured?  :o

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
Actually the D was the backbone of the early VVS guards units flying lendlease planes. (late42-thru mid43) even when the Q's began arriving the D's were still in service. I'd bet alot of D's ended up on the Finnish front...

Added the D.  Don't know if we have a Bolshevik skin for it.  If not, spread the word to our skilled skinners please.

- oldman

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
Umm, great big map here but lets not get carried away and actually use it, lets just keep a continuous week log furball going on between the two closest bases, sorry guys, but some of us prefer a more advanced concept, say like a goal to achieve, I guess I am just the oddball but I get bored in about 15 minutes with a furball that never ends nor achieves anything, hey its just me, I'm weird that way. Since its squad night I'll just check in with the boys for a bit and then log to rearrange my stamp collection and then maybe walk down to the pond for awhile and watch the pond scum grow, the thrill is about the same as a two hour furball.
 Maj OldBull
XO Avengers

You're not alone. I feel the same way. Winning or losing a constant dogfight for no other reason than the planes are in the air after about maybe an hour gets boring for me as well. Then I'll disappear for days at a time. Come back to see if anything has changed. Play half an hour this time and disappear. Eventually I just quit the game for a few weeks and come back again in a month or so. Pointless furballing isn't all that for for everyone.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy