Author Topic: Riding in stall turns.  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Riding in stall turns.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »
Widewing, what where you saying in the TA a few weeks ago about how to get the best possible turn?  It had something to do with rudder input/lack of input...

It sounded interesting, but I had my stallhorn blaring while you were talking to that guy about it, and couldn't catch it all.  This seems like a pretty good time to ask for a refresher :)

When attempting to turn at the absolute limit down low, any rudder input can be tricky. If you add rudder into the turn to center the ball, you push the nose lower. That means using aileron to counter, which rolls you out of the turn. If you add top rudder to keep the nose higher (cross controlling), you also tend to roll out of the turn and create drag by crabbing the aircraft.

I don't touch the rudder during a minimum radius turn or lufbery, except briefly to counter partial stalling of the inside wing (wing dip). Some aircraft will develop a slight porpoising motion when right on the edge. This IS the absolute limit. F4Us do this. If you can hold it in that porpoising motion, you can achieve the true minimum turn radius. I believe that this is the point where the wing is beginning to stall, causing the aircraft to mush out, increasing speed, which allows it to tighten again. It will repeat the cycle forever if you can hold it right there..

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 03:26:38 AM »
Jumping in late after not reading the 2nd page...

what they all said....

but additionally, if you're more on less *temporarily*  "catching up" and depending on your respective planes' acceleration potential, and factoring in favorable terrain, i.e., downhill, you just might be able to break out and with a proper opposite turn might even surprise the other guy...

really depends on which plane matchup(s) you're referring to, and respective pilot skills.  if this has been addressed...  what they said...

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
Agent, I'm going to suggest that you try this offline, with E6B open the whole time. You will find that your air speed is much higher than 80 mph, probably in the range of 115 mph.

MA comparisons invariably are greatly effected by the inability of the vast majority of pilots to get the best turn performance out of their aircraft. If, for example, you are chasing a Spit8 which pulls into a constant left turn, but panics when the stall horn so much as hints at noise, you will out turn him every time.

However, if the Spit pilot is a good stick, he will reef the Spit around hard and turn on WEP. If you try to stay in that circle with a 109K-4, the Spit will fly around the circle and be on your six in less than 4 full turns.

I will also state that every other 109 will turn smaller circles than a K-4 and do it at lower speeds. Indeed, the 109G-2 doesn't need more than a notch or two of flaps to out-turn the K-4, even if the K-4 has full flaps out. That's in left-hand turns. In right-hand turns, the K-4 suffers worse from torque than the G-2 and it's even easier for the G-2 to gain on it.

Of course, seeing is believing, so stop by the TA any evening mid week (after 9 PM Eastern) and we can do a demonstration.

Where the 109s do well is in turn rate. An example is the 109F vs the F4U-1. The Corsair turns smaller circles, but the 109F has a faster turn rate and can hang onto the F4U like glue.

All of the above aside, whatever you are doing is obviously a great success, and nothing succeeds like success.

My regards,

Widewing

Sorry for the war and piece novel but I can't really further explain wihout a lot of words. Sorry.

Widewing,

You are right on with everything said here. As far as the airspeed goes your right to a certain point. But I have been in turns as slow as 50 mph like this. But only because the target is getting that slow. Some will cut throttle hoping for an overshoot in the flat turn and when this happens I do as well. A very controlled small yo-yo can keep me there at these speeds as the K4 can still climb when the spitty can't atleast not without giving me a kill shot.

I am only speaking about the 109k4 specifically.

I knew when I made my post that I would get some diagreement. HEHEHE.

How one enters this turn is important. Just diving in and attempting this kind of turn in a k4 won't work. One has to "get there" in other ways. Mainly after a 1v1 merge. The fight ensues. Angles are gained in the verticle. We turn close. A few gun passes happen. The spitty makes a mistake trying to make a gun solution in the vert and cant make it. I then turn this mistake into a "i got your six and you can't get away" situation. At this point we are very slow on the deck with me inside 200 perhaps even inside 100 but can not bring guns onto the turning spit. Usually it happens that I come out of the verticle roll after stalling at the top and chase the spit down into a hard breaking left hand turn. I am able to catch the spit coming down but he can not get away because I am faster at this point ( in the 200 mph range). I usually have to cut throttle some here because I am nose down. My goal is to get slow enough to drop all the flaps and keep wep on. By now I am closing fast on the spit and he is now breaking hard to left.

The situation is now primed for this kind of turn. It is important to note that I must be very very close. Inside 200 and pulling pure pursuit (gun sight on target) but can't pull enough lead for a hit. But I am very close. The spit has no options now. If he does anything besides keeping out of my guns its going to be a kill shot.

At the point where I am coming down and tracking for a shot I have alt over the spit by a few hundred feet. This allows me to keep faster but below 200 so I can get flaps out. This is allowing me to gain angles and get inside his turn by only a small amount. If I go for guns now and miss then the spit can easily reverse me so I don't do that. I stay behind him patiently waiting for the nose dip which will force him out of the hard turn and make him loosen it some.

If anything happens to cause me to loose this position like a wing stall or terrain then the spit will get angles immediatly and I will have to go vert.

The key thing is catching the spit slow and forcing a hard stalling turn to the left (keeping everything left for explanation but I can do it to the right as well). In fact its a little easier to the right because the torque doesn't keep pulling the nose down and I dont have to use rudder so much.

Although the spit does technically have a better turn radious that doesnt end the story. The K4 has the pure beastly power to still maneuver here.

Ok, now I have this little spitty all out of E stalling in the turn and struggling to keep the nose up to prevent hitting the ground. He is just pulling as hard as possible with me so close I could chop off his tail with my prop but can't get the lead for the shot.

I now have all flaps out with wep on and we are now in a totally flat turn. The spitty is just turning hard trying to stay out of my guns.

If I maintain perfect control of my plane without any wing dips I can stay with the spitty almost indefinitly. But after about the third rotation the spitty always has to roll out a few degrees to keep from hitting the ground. When this happens it gives me the angle to pull the lead and make the shot. During the tail chase I must keep my plane at least a full wing span ABOVE the spitty. I can not get totally even. This is to say I need to be about 15 degress angle off HIS tail to the top. Any dropping below his tail will put me into an overshoot situation and allow the spitty to reverse and get out of the guns solutions.

The KEY is the airspeed in which we enter the flat turn. IF the spitty is not totally out of E and can maintain speed I can only stay here for mabey one reveloution before he starts gaining my six.

It is the pure power of the K4 that allows me to fly with all flaps out and still keep up and stay with the spit. In contrast if you try this in a G2 you won't have the airspeed or power to do this. YOu will have a better turn with the G2 but that aint gonna cut it if its a spit 16. 109's have a lot of WEP. I would say that when I do get into the flat turns their wep is gone. If they have wep left and I am not close enough then it could go either way depending on my closure rate.

One final note with regards to airspeed in this scenario. I can and do fly like this at 60 to 80 mph. But this is because I am tapping the rudder and at times side slipping some while riding the nose high to keep the angle off tail I will need later for the shot. So I am flying the plane "dirty" on purpose to reduce the airspeed further but only in relation to my target. I will correct my flight path as needed depending on how tight the turn is getting.

Also any slight hills or trees that get in the spittys way will cause him to alter the flat turn and again this is when the kill shot comes.

In regards to "Ace sticks". At one point or another my squaddies have taken me up on the flat turn challenge and I have stayed behind them. This was more of a test of turning skills then a fight. But fighting really good sticks like this wont't work to well unless you just have there six with absolutly no enery. Most good stick just won't let you get them in this situation to start with.

Agent360

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
O.o Damn Agent, that's a long post! You must be bored at work like me  :lol
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »
if it's the 109k.. then an option would be to use it's accel and ability to vert....

if you're in the chase angle, what you could consider doing if you have the confidence and ability is to pull up into a slow speed "1/2" loop/stall (or slow speed hammerhead if that explains it better), in which the other guy might not be able to follow, and drop back on top...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
But fighting really good sticks like this wont't work to well unless you just have there six with absolutly no enery. Most good stick just won't let you get them in this situation to start with.

I'm glad you added that part because I was going to say I didn't remember it working like that.   ;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »
Widewing I stand corrected on the airspeed. I just did a few tests witht the k4 and the e6b open.

I am not sure if my stick is perfectly calibrated. At times it seems to do better than others.

But I found you are right. The airpspeed in a all flaps wep on stalling turn is at 100 to 115 ( 50% fuel at sea level) and if you have wep on it won't get any slower than 100 no matter what. You can reduce trottle to half or so and get it to 85 -90 ish but you start dropping at 4000+ f/m.

The K4 flying strait with all flaps out at sea level: about 85 to 90 is required to keep airborn without loosing alt. If the plane drops below this you can not maintain level flight. At 50 mph the plane lands.

The only think I can think of to explain my previous experiences is that I was really in a very slow and shallow spiral to the ground and slipping the plane around. With a few K of alt it is possible to get to 80 without crashing but you will be dropping alt at about 3000 f/m

I tried to fly the plane at 50 in a shallow spiral dive but the plane will not get any slower than 90 no matter what you do even with the throttle on but at 0 and full rudder.

I suppose I have been doing smaller yo-yo type reversals in the vert and and really flying at 80 ish. It looks like 50 in the cock pit.

I think is the scenario I described above the entry speed into the turn is probably just under 200 and this slowly degrades to 90 until one of the two must go level. If I can stay behind until that happens then it works.

I will also say that when I first started getting better in the K4 I could get people like this. But in the past year it has been increasingly difficult to do so. I think u trainers are giving up the anti K4 tricks ...heheheheh

:salute

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
Widewing I stand corrected on the airspeed. I just did a few tests witht the k4 and the e6b open.

I am not sure if my stick is perfectly calibrated. At times it seems to do better than others.

But I found you are right. The airpspeed in a all flaps wep on stalling turn is at 100 to 115 ( 50% fuel at sea level) and if you have wep on it won't get any slower than 100 no matter what. You can reduce trottle to half or so and get it to 85 -90 ish but you start dropping at 4000+ f/m.

The K4 flying strait with all flaps out at sea level: about 85 to 90 is required to keep airborn without loosing alt. If the plane drops below this you can not maintain level flight. At 50 mph the plane lands.

The only think I can think of to explain my previous experiences is that I was really in a very slow and shallow spiral to the ground and slipping the plane around. With a few K of alt it is possible to get to 80 without crashing but you will be dropping alt at about 3000 f/m

I tried to fly the plane at 50 in a shallow spiral dive but the plane will not get any slower than 90 no matter what you do even with the throttle on but at 0 and full rudder.

I suppose I have been doing smaller yo-yo type reversals in the vert and and really flying at 80 ish. It looks like 50 in the cock pit.

I think is the scenario I described above the entry speed into the turn is probably just under 200 and this slowly degrades to 90 until one of the two must go level. If I can stay behind until that happens then it works.

I will also say that when I first started getting better in the K4 I could get people like this. But in the past year it has been increasingly difficult to do so. I think u trainers are giving up the anti K4 tricks ...heheheheh

:salute

i dunno man maybe your just slumping as i said to you earlier. but you have seemed easier to kill lately <S> or maybe im just catching you at bad times eh ?
maybe its all the help your giving the newbs? lol  :D
ill fly ya anytime <S>
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 01:24:45 AM »
When it comes to getting to minimum turn radius, if you're plane is not shaking and the stall horn blaring, you not there....

Spitfire flaps do tighten turns, at the expense of eating up speed. You can using them to get an angle, but I would not keep them out for any longer than that. Also, flap use at high angles of attack increase the risk of the Spit entering a flat spin/stall that is very difficult to recover from if you are low. You best bet is to kill the engine (not just cut throttle), get the nose down and restart.

My regards,

Widewing

yes i find cutting the engine very helpful in getting out of those spins, the ones i really hate are the inverted tumbling spins that i have to really fight to get fliped over right side and then fight to get the nose down. about 1/4 of the time with enough alt i can recover.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »
i guess what i was trying to hint at, well a small question. say your in a superior turning plane and you know that the other guy is blowing energy trying to haul around his crate, would it be smart to kind of back off maybe let him catch some angle on you while you build speed to go vertical? this meaning its close but not that close that he can get you. maybe go vertical and drop on his head if he tries to follow?
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
i guess what i was trying to hint at, well a small question. say your in a superior turning plane and you know that the other guy is blowing energy trying to haul around his crate, would it be smart to kind of back off maybe let him catch some angle on you while you build speed to go vertical? this meaning its close but not that close that he can get you. maybe go vertical and drop on his head if he tries to follow?
If you're the better turning plane then you can just stay in the circle and outrate him but it takes time and you're very predictable so unless you're sure it's just the two of you or you have good cover from a wingman then time to kill becomes very important. 

What you're suggesting here can be a very good tactic given the right combination of planes, i.e., considering the acceleration and climb rate of both.  You also point out one of the key measures of comparative E.  Generally speaking, more angles equal less E as E is burned to generate the angles.  Conversely less angles equals greater E and that's what you're suggesting.  All fights are about these sorts of tradeoffs. 

The way to do this is to ease your G slightly and raise your flaps, usually a notch at a time.  He will continue to gain angles on you without realizing that you're gaining an E advantage on him.   You don't want him to recognize what you're doing until the next step.  When you're clean, level your wings, make sure you're in WEP and lower your nose to get your best acceleration to climb speed and climb away.  If you're going to do this then it's best to do it early rather than wait until your opponent is behind your wingline approaching guns as his bullets accelerate faster than you will.  Doing this early also means he has more degrees to go before he can bring his guns up and that equals greater separation and acceleration for you.  Also, if the terrain is not flat than time your turn so that you're headed downhill while he's headed up.

Also, another caviat is that this won't work if your significantly outmatched by your bandit's acceleration and/or climb performance.  For instance if you're in a Hurri flat turning with a Zeke you will not out accelerate or outclimb him and he will just chew you up.  Of course, a continued flat flight will end up with his teeth in you anyway so something like this might be your only option.  In this sort of situation and very early in the fight (say within the first two turns and before he gets behind your wingline) I'd raise the flaps and dump the nose, and get enough speed to try to turn the fight into a series of high and low yo-yos.  Yo-yos are the only way you're going to outrate a Zeke.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
excelent exactly what i was lookin for
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V