Author Topic: What happens next?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: What happens next?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
Yes, high speed internet is the bleeding edge of computing  :rofl
A stable dial up connection is all that is needed to play this game, ask skuzzy. I'd rather have that than shady hispeed  connection.
Packet loss is the problem not bandwidth.  Or don't you get that an electrical signals travel at the same speed whether its carrying 56k or 3megs?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:14:27 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »
yea, bandwidth has nothing to do with mmo games, your 56k modem from 1990 is fine, no worries sorry I was wrong
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 11:24:56 PM »
yea, bandwidth has nothing to do with mmo games, your 56k modem from 1990 is fine, no worries sorry I was wrong
Are you thick I stated for this game. Thats the way HT designed it. I'm guessing it's not your mind that's
"nimble".

Ohh and I'll add.

Not much can be done about the lag Knfe.  That is just the nature of this type of Internet service.
It would probably cause lost connections as well, due to the incredible latency. 

These types of services are just not very good for any type of real-time service from the Internet.
Wish I had better news for you.  You would be a lot better off with a dial-up connection for gameplay as speed is not as critical as latency is.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:32:52 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
what other sim games do you know that you can use three monitors YAY cant wait

Just about any.

Matrox Triple Head is just a step up from a normal dual splitter to triple and does a good job. So instead of using multiple video cards for the same result, you can take the cheap option and buy a little black box that does the same thing. Though like any cheap option it has a drawback, if you run something like FSX with Triple Head it puts a strain on a single GPU and hit on frame rates as your effectively running at a much bigger resolution. All that AH have done is release widescreen support so that the gauges no longer become egg shape, the triple head is nothing special.

<S>...-Gixer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:37:43 PM by Gixer »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
A stable dial up connection is all that is needed to play this game, ask skuzzy. I'd rather have that than shady hispeed  connection.
Packet loss is the problem not bandwidth. 

You'd rather have dial-up then broadband... Your kidding right???  :rofl

<S>...-Gixer

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
Are you thick I stated for this game. Thats the way HT designed it. I'm guessing it's not your mind that's
"nimble".

Yea, I was lost by your highly scientific reply about those crazy electrical signals, sorry

Well it doesn't matter because all connections are the same, the electrical signals all travel at the same speed so it doesn't matter whether you have cable or a 56k for online gaming.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:37:11 PM by nimble »
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
Bronk, I never said I expected a high-end game here.  Although I do think Hitech Creations may be able to rework the engine from 10 years ago...  We're talking a decade on basically the same game.
Mak

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

<S>...-Gixer
I'd rather have a stable dial up than a flaky broadband for this game. As an extreme example play this game on satellite broadband and you'll complaints about warps from everyone.
See Rule #4

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
I'd rather have a stable dial up than a flaky broadband for this game. As an extreme example play this game on satellite broadband and you complaints about warps from everyone.

56k beats out all flaky broadband connections this is true, until someone picks up the phone. Man I hate it when people do that! And don't get me started on call waiting!

Bronk in his wisdom has totally changed my mind, and to prove it I give you Ted Stevenson on the subject. I didn't realize it was all just a series of tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:42:02 PM by nimble »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »
Yea, I was lost by your highly scientific reply about those crazy electrical signals, sorry

Well it doesn't matter because all connections are the same, the electrical signals all travel at the same speed so it doesn't matter whether you have cable or a 56k for online gaming.
Because your hard of reading try reading it slowly now.

Not much can be done about the lag Knfe.  That is just the nature of this type of Internet service.
It would probably cause lost connections as well, due to the incredible latency. 

These types of services are just not very good for any type of real-time service from the Internet.
Wish I had better news for you.  You would be a lot better off with a dial-up connection for gameplay as speed is not as critical as latency is.

See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »
Nimble,Violent By Design.... Ignorant by choice.
See Rule #4

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »
Nimble,Violent By Design.... Ignorant by choice.

Yes, that quote from 2001 is still relative to the internets today, seriously it's true. Broadband absolutely has much higher latency than dialup. Now that I have tested it, I get like 1200ms on my broadband and like 68ms on the 56k I just invested in.

Oh wait
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:45:43 PM by nimble »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »
I'd rather have a stable dial up than a flaky broadband for this game. As an extreme example play this game on satellite broadband and you'll complaints about warps from everyone.

Satellite broadband? Yes that is an extreme example. Download via dish and upload via telephone wire? Yes I'm sure a good rain storm would cause warps just like it does for my TV and from a work perspective our wireless networks, one good thunderstorm and we have timeouts and packet losses everywhere.

Stable dial-up yes I guess if your comparing it to no connection at all or a very bad one. But if you can get a stable dial up there is no reason in the world why you can't get a stable basic broadband connection to do the same. All you need is ISP support,switch at the local exchanage and thats it. Router/Modem wise same deal with any hardware. RTFM set it up once and thats it.

If I compare the issues I use to have back in the 90s with dialup compared to broadband it's chalk and cheese, router is rock solid and thats with ADSL 2 which is also being used for VOIP at same time.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »
Yes, that quote from 2001 is still relative to the internets today, seriously it's true.
What they didn't have broadband in 01? Crap verizon has been billing me for dsl all this time.

See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 11:54:25 PM »
Satellite broadband? Yes that is an extreme example. Download via dish and upload via telephone wire? Yes I'm sure a good rain storm would cause warps just like it does for my TV and from a work perspective our wireless networks, one good thunderstorm and we have timeouts and packet losses everywhere.

Stable dial-up yes I guess if your comparing it to no connection at all or a very bad one. But if you can get a stable dial up there is no reason in the world why you can't get a stable basic broadband connection to do the same. All you need is ISP support,switch at the local exchanage and thats it. Router/Modem wise same deal with any hardware. RTFM set it up once and thats it.

If I compare the issues I use to have back in the 90s with dialup compared to broadband it's chalk and cheese, router is rock solid and thats with ADSL 2 which is also being used for VOIP at same time.

<S>...-Gixer

Gixer.
 I can remember fairly recent posts in the Tech support forum where people were having issues with a broadband provider.  I think it was comcast but not sure. They all were experiencing warps associate with packet loss.

I'll agree I prefer my 3m dsl, very stable with good ping times to servers. It still doesn't change the fact a stable connection is better than a flaky one.
See Rule #4