Author Topic: AH Problems with Broadband - Skuzzy HELP!  (Read 470 times)

Offline Knfe

• Zinc Member
AH Problems with Broadband - Skuzzy HELP!
« on: March 31, 2001, 10:06:00 PM »
Since having Sprint Broadband installed I get frequent "host connection lost" and significant game lag.  Help?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2001, 10:12:00 PM »
U seemed to have a decent connect on friday night knfe

SKurj

Offline Khavren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Out of the 3 major high speed connections...Wireless (or Satellite if you will) while is high speed, it is also the absolute WORST for latency.

Cable has the fastest transfer rate (during optimum conditions) however DSL while not as fast as Cable, has the best Latency.

If your primary concern for high speed connections is online gaming, DSL is the way to go.  Cable second best, and Wireless...NEVER.

If you're looking strictly for transfer rate (ie you download a LOT of large files) Cable is the way to go.

Offline jehu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
I am using cable. I too thought that would help my gaming a lot. Compared to dial up it sure has!  But I was surprised to find out it is not all that I thought for AH.  I had IDSL before this due to the fact that ADSL couldn’t reach me. But I had a lot of probs with that.  I have been much happier with cable.  I can download a 10mg file in less than 60 seconds.  But, in AH like what has already been mentioned that’s not what counts.  If you can get ADSL that would be the way to go.

jehu
Rowdy Rebels

Offline Knfe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
I had to go with broadband due to living in the country.  No landline other than phone available.  I've got an antenna on the house that provides the broadband, my only choice.  I've been told there's a way to adjust the "packet size" to make gameplay better.  Right now my downloads are great, but streaming data, like in AH, is terrible.  Anyone know how to adjust packet size?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
check out www.dslreports.com
they have instructions i think, don't know about makin packets smaller tho...

You are likely using the windows default packet size which is optimized for dial up modems.

SKurj

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »

Originally posted by Knfe:
Since having Sprint Broadband installed I get frequent "host connection lost" and significant game lag.  Help?

Not much can be done about the lag Knfe.  That is just the nature of this type of Internet service.
It would probably cause lost connections as well, due to the incredible latency.  

These types of services are just not very good for any type of real-time service from the Internet.
Wish I had better news for you.  You would be a lot better off with a dial-up connection for gameplay as speed is not as critical as latency is.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com