Author Topic: Olympic Medals  (Read 508 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Olympic Medals
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
I've always wondered, are the Gold medals actually solid gold or just gold plated?
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Olympic Medals
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Today's "gold" medals are actually sterling silver covered with a thin coat (.21 ounces) of pure gold.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
With this stamped on the back of it:

Offline Monty405

• Copper Member
      • http://www3.sympatico.ca/carol.haynes/
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
theres no chocolate inside? sucks.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
I read somewere that there is a total of one kg of gold in all the medals combined.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:01 AM »
Today's "gold" medals are actually sterling silver covered with a thin coat (.21 ounces) of pure gold.

Well that kinda blows......

IOC is freakin cheap.    :uhoh
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:08:12 AM »
You know I was thinking this exact same thing when I was watching Phelps and the others taking pics for the photogs and holding them up.  I was thinking if those things are solid gold then they have to be worth a nice chunk of change.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »
You know I was thinking this exact same thing when I was watching Phelps and the others taking pics for the photogs and holding them up.  I was thinking if those things are solid gold then they have to be worth a nice chunk of change.

Lets see...  average of 4 hours a day of training, 6 days a week, four years between Olympics,

Call it 4 X 6 X 52 X 4 = 4992 Hours  round to 5000 hours.

let's say they could be making $20 / hr working somewhere, that's $100,000 in training time alone.

seems like they are already worth a good chunk of change.

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »

Hey! Google knows what sport is primary at the games!
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
The medals are designed with inspiration from "bi", China's ancient jade piece inscribed with dragon pattern. The medals, made of gold and jade, symbolize nobility and virtue and are embodiment of traditional Chinese values of ethics and honor.

The medals are 70mm in diameter and 6mm in thickness. On their obverse side, the medals adopt the standard design prescribed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) -- a drawing that represents the winged goddess of victory Nike and Panathinaikos Arena, while on their reverse side, the medals are inlaid with jade with the Beijing Games emblem engraved in the metal centerpiece.

Noble and elegant, the medals are a blending of traditional Chinese culture and the Olympism. It gives the winners of the Games great honor and acclamation as recognition of their achievement.

The IOC has strict stipulation on the Olympic medals' material, identification, weight, size and drawing. The medals for the champion and the runner-up are made of pure silver, and the champion's medal must be plated with gold weighing not less than six grams each. For the first time jade is used for the Olympic medals. The design not only meets the IOC requirements, but also expresses praise and honor that the Chinese people cherish for the Olympic Spirit and the Olympic athletes.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
but also expresses praise and honor that the Chinese people cherish for the Olympic Spirit and the Olympic athletes.

But yet they will allow underage children to compete?  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
But yet they will allow underage children to compete?  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I'm still wondering why this is such a big deal?  If a 14 year old can fairly beat competitors of an older age, how is this unfair?  It's not like the Little League World Series where countries are bringing in 18 year olds claiming that they are 12.  If anything, in my opinion, it makes it even more impressive.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
Maybe some of the other countries had some very good 14 year old athletes?  They just followed the rules and made them stay at home.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »
I see your point, although I doubt there are many athletes so gifted they can "play up" against the worlds best at age 14.  I think it is a stupid rule, there is no advantage a 14 year old has against a 16 year old based on their age.  Unless maybe it's for the Hide-and-seek competition... Which the way the Olympics are going could be a legitimate event by 2012. 
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
It's a stupid rule.  :aok
The UNFORGIVEN