Author Topic: Combat Theater Feedback  (Read 834 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Combat Theater Feedback
« on: August 09, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
Bad News:
1.  Can't form or join a squad.

2.  Acks and ships rebuild almost instantly.

3.  Map is a bit too large for the taste of some players.  If structures would stay down and we could get LVT's off the task forces this wouldn't be a problem, because Allies could take some fields in Norway.

4.  No "dot radar" in the planes is great, but it would be nice to have "dot radar" in the tower.

Good News:
Just about everything else about it is good.   :)

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2001, 03:03:00 AM »
how the icon works there  ?  hope no laser telemetry range finder

othervise GREAT   thx HTC !

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 04:27:00 AM »
Only got go fly there about half an hour before I had to hit the sack, but I loved it.

People seem to be most displeased with the distances involved and having to "find the action";  fellas, that is closer to what combat was like historically:   Hours of boredom, interrupted by seconds of sheer terror.  
Populate the arena, enjoy it.  This is what lots of us have been clamoring for, and HTC gave it to us.  
Offer constructive criticism, don't slam it or nitpick it to death, please?   They've gone out on a limb here, don't make them regret it.

Offline Fidd

• Copper Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2001, 05:48:00 AM »
I *thoroughly* enjoy it. I flew about 2 hours and got 4 kills, but each was much more fun than in the MA. Obviously it needs a bit of tweaking, and time for people to get used to it.

1. I'd prefer to see the friendly icons reduced to the same range as enemy.

2. Duration of damage to facilities needs to be greatly increased. 2 hours?

3. Time of day effects would be nice, especially for lanc/ju88 raids.

4. I think Norway was a poor choice of terrain to kick-off this arena. There is a European terrain I think would have been better (less time between fights).

Fidd

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
Yeh, a bit shorter distances would be nice.

Also would like the 190A5.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2001, 06:15:00 AM »
I quess the other "iron" will be inducted as time goes by? That is the 51's,47's!!!! and 38's...?  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2001, 07:18:00 AM »
Don't think so Xbat.

I think they are rotating "theaters", but I have no idea how often.

Each theater brings a new terrain and planeset.
-SW

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
Flew for nearly 3 hours last night. A lot for me and had a blast, even flying the LW iron which I suck in.

What funked said, but I know the dot only option in the tower is not an option yet. Wish it was or we would use it in our historical events.

PT boats, LTV's would be nice from the task groups. Even though the LW does not have an CV aircraft they could still have some fun with their task groups.  :)

We also could not set up our squad.

Lastly the "switch" time is a bit long. I am one of the guys that would switch sides if the numbers are out of balance and I can't if I have to wait 24 hours each time.

Over all that is where you will find this dog. Combat Theatre is it for me!  :D
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
How about an "air start" for buffs?  ;)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
yep 24 is way to long to wait to switch sides

logged on last night, LW had 16 and the RAF had 12. so i picked the RAF. about an hour later the LW where down to 5 so i decided to switch, no joy "you have 1300 minutes to wait"

i think it would be safe to lower it to about an hour or so, seing that i don't think we are going to have any resets in this arena  :D

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Actually the way they have it would prob be cool Swulfe. I quess I'm in my 47 obession but flying a spit or 109 vrs the planes it had to really fight is going to be cool.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
All of my concerns have been addressed in previous posts.

Switch time too long, no need really for it to be there right now.  Let us keep the numbers balanced, please!   :)

Friendly icons should be the same short distance as enemies, or at least down to 6K, not the 10K they are now (please change this in the SEA as well!  :) )

Downtimes increased due to extreme distances between bases (tho hangars might need to be an exception so no one gets closed out of being able to fly.)

Other than that, it's a blast!  Distances are too long for a quick fight, but I'll just go to the MA or TA if I don't have time to go out over the North Sea.   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
I just want to quickly say I support this arena.  

I hope the squadron invites get fixed soon though.  Also, I agree about making the icons equal distances between friendly and enemy.  Would be fun trying to find your squadron or strike group after being separated and fly towards a bunch of dots you think are friendlies only to find out you are 3,000 yards away from a whole gaggle of enemy.  That'll force better radio comm's.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Steven ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
Good points about the radar modes (that it's a limitation of the software, not the arena setup) and the side switch time (make it 15 minutes or so).

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Combat Theater Feedback
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
I haven't had chance to try it yet but I'll look forward to flying in there soon.  

I would like to know if there is a night-time and for how long;  if yes then would it be possible to increase the night or have more lowlevel clouds or at least very dark clouds to make it more North Sea like?  The thing I liked in HS is the dark clouds over Norway... very nice - see  http://www.btinternet.com/~nexx/617tirpitz.jpg

Regards

Nexx
NEXX