Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5370 times)

Offline brad13

• Copper Member
      • Hovercontrol
Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
well baldegl i say this with all do respect sir, but if you dont like a tactic that WAS used in WWII then dont play the game.. Running was used to get away from the enemy and climb out to get the advantage.. As far as im concerned its just like this hoing stuff.. Its just another tactic that was used in real life.. <S> All.. Im sorry if i may have offended you or made you disagree with my opinion!    :rock   :salute
"The English had hit upon a splendid joke. They intended to catch me or to bring me down."-Manfred Von Richthofen

Check out: Hovercontrol.com

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
I don't understand complaints about runners. There are unperked planes fast enough to catch almost anything. There are large numbers of targets that aren't so fast.

On any given night, a large percentage of the planes being flown in the MA will be Spits of various stripes, N1Ks, the odd Hurri and Zeke, etc. and so forth. They can easily be chased down by a P-51, 190 D9, F4U 1A, Yak, La 7, or many other planes on the higher end of the speed scale. Buy a Tempest and you can chase down almost everything in the MA with relative ease.

ha, that is the problem.  Those are the guys that run.  You could not possibly fly a P40 in the MA and hope for a fight.  You will be BnZed until they out of ammo or fuel.  HT may as well disable 80% of the planes in the MA since they are only there to frustrate who ever is flying them.

This is why I love the lala btw.  You can't run from it, and it can put up a fight when it catches you.  Really, the only thing the runner can do against it is complain about your dweeb ride even though he is in a spit 16  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
real life
Next time you get shot down, log out... Forever...

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

Even better, shoot yourself in the head every time you get a PW  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

:rofl :rofl
"strafing"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »

That is not half as clever as you may think. :P 

So many things in this game are based on real life that if you attack that premise you undermine the whole point of why we play it. 

Moreover, the whole "real-life" argument is used at will when players want to justify something, and then attacked when they want to poo-poo someone else for using that same justification. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:25:04 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 4XTCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »
The Rook/Knight furball at 27/8 last knight was one of the best I've seen in many nights.
Yes, it was a shame that the buffs on both sides put a damper on the fun. This game is many things to different people obviously. I'm not going to defend either side and those buff pilots, but they see a dar bar... lots of friendlies... hmmm looks like a "base take"... I'll just drop the FH's for these guys so they can take it, not realizing that there's something else going on.
One things for sure, and that is if you play this game long enough you will see alot of different stuff.

I do like Greebo's idea of revamping the scoring system. Very very interesting thoughts there.

4XTCH
~364TH C-HAWKS FG~

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
Why do people always assume that while they are fine, absolutely every other person in the universe is an idiot? 

Why always attribute malicious intent to actions you don't like?  I think a lot of people see AH as a simulation of WWII.  Therefore, to an extent, they see the group goal as winning the war (or at least defending territory) and the individual goal as not dying.  Examples:

Dropping hangers and killing off a good furball: perhaps the buffer saw a field being attacked and assumed the goal was to take the field.  You say he should have asked first?  How many different answers do you think he would have gotten?  And why was yours the only correct one?

Dropping the CV and killing off a good furball: if someone sees a CV just offshore of his field his first assumption is that they are trying to take the field.  How is he going to know that, in the chaos that is the MA, the two sides have agreed to just furball?  Sure, you are just furballing but are you sure others, including the Cruiser gunners, aren't taking down the town?

Running: if the main individual goal is to live, while still forwarding the group goal, why would anyone attack from a position of weakness unless forced to?  Air to air combat isn't just two planes going head to head at equal altitude.  It's a chess game where you look several moves ahead and insure your target can't run away while you are free from bogies that can catch you.

I seriously doubt that the majority of players act solely to better their rank or to grief other players.  Some just have goals that differ from yours.

Edit: oops, 4XTCH just said the same thing- with less words ;)  Guess I should pay attention while typing ;)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
So many things in this game are based on real life that if you attack that premise you undermine the whole point of why we play it. 

What was the purpose of having fighter planes in real life?

Oh yeah, last time I've seen documentary on TV. Commander was speaking to his pilots before major air battle: "Please, take care of yourselves. Your health is more important than winning the war. You have to survive no matter what. You got one life only. We can always make another war if this one goes badly..."

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
That is not half as clever as you may think. :P 

Moreover, the whole "real-life" argument is used at will when players want to justify something, and then attacked when they want to poo-poo someone else for using that same justification. :rolleyes:

Main American tactic during WW2 as a defense was to turn around and Head On your enemy. Fact is Fact.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »
What was the purpose of having fighter planes in real life?

Oh yeah, last time I've seen documentary on TV. Commander was speaking to his pilots before major air battle: "Please, take care of yourselves. Your health is more important than winning the war. You have to survive no matter what. You got one life only. We can always make another war if this one goes badly..."

I for one find it boring and less of a challenge when my opponents do not try their hardest not to let me kill them.

Main American tactic during WW2 as a defense was to turn around and Head On your enemy. Fact is Fact.
Cool.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 02:08:20 PM »

It wasn't...

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
It wasn't...

When an enemy was going down to BnZ you, you were supposed to turn around and HO him. Seen it on TV and read it online. I'll go dig up quotes...
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
I for one find it boring and less of a challenge when my opponents do not try their hardest not to let me kill them.

If he kills you, you can't kill him. That should be the only 'defense' of your opponent.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
I for one find it boring and less of a challenge when my opponents do not try their hardest not to let me kill them.Cool.

Yup, people who really don't want to die try a lot harder once cornered. People who could care less if they die tend to do stupid things that makes killing them not nearly as difficult, fun or educational for either party.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc