Author Topic: Pacific area terrains  (Read 838 times)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Pacific area terrains
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:52:56 AM »
Ok this should probably be in the wish list.
But as we have two late arenas wouldn't it be nice to have one for European and one for
Pacific areas.Have the different terrains would be nice and only skins in that arena for the area
it covers.EG PTO skins In pacific and the others in Europe.

Yes i know we would need more planes first but i keep hearing people moaning about when two arenas have the same map
and this could change that
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Pacific area terrains
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:57:04 AM »
Hell yes! :aok
(We need a Croduh signal)
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
That would be cool, but Pacific terrains would require Pacific tiles, instead of European hedgerows & such. One reason Mindanao is not in rotation, I would assume.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
good idea, but that's kind of the set up that AW used........and we see where AW is
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:16 AM »
I asked Skuzzy this same question in a phone conversation about six months ago. He said it had to do with division of the map into three parts and by using real world maps there are too many problems. Cap, do you concur?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
I asked Skuzzy this same question in a phone conversation about six months ago. He said it had to do with division of the map into three parts and by using real world maps there are too many problems. Cap, do you concur?

i think that if they were to change the system, and set it up like this, it would very likely overstress their systems. it would probably also overstress HTC themselves.

as for real world maps? well, in the PTO, carriers would be much more important, unless we wanted to fly 5 sectors for a fight. i think they'd have  lot to change in the terrain too, to accomodate the map style.

i could be wrong on some of this though.

what it looks like to me though, is that HT took lessons learned from AW, and created AH. they've got a fairly decent mix of maps in all of the arenas, and they've split up the arenas so that those that like flying the older lower performing aircraft don't constantly get their assses kicked by picking stangs and fw's.
 they've created a dedicated training arena, where we can go for practice. they've created a dueling arena for those that want to settle scores, gain bragging rights, or just go and fight each other, and be left alone in their fights.
 best of all, there's the special events arena. this is the perfect place for things like the FSO's, and other historical events, or for those that want a more realistic type of battle(such as not being able to fight allied against allied aircraft).

the graphics may leave a bit to be sesired(i personally don't see any problems with them though), but they've alos kept the sim such that you dont have to have a $4,000 machine to fly here.

the flight charastics of the aircraft, although not perfect, are fairly realsitic(although they will not teach you to fl a real plane). things like departure stalls, accelerated stalls, stall/spins are modeled nicely, and at the right angles of attack.

in my opinion, for my $15 a month, this is pretty much perfect as it is.

if it ain't broke(and it's not) then don't fix it.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
We had a Pacific theater in Air Warrrior.  One harsh reality of it, with bases farther apart, was that it was routine to see people flying around at 25 to 30k. There were folks up there all the time. I personally don't want to spend the time to alt that high, get a kill or two and then die.. only to spend another 10 minutes of alting to do it again.   No Thank  you.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
That would be cool, but Pacific terrains would require Pacific tiles, instead of European hedgerows & such. One reason Mindanao is not in rotation, I would assume.

Mindi used to have Palm trees then it went through the normal terrain iterations until it was pulled.

I'd like to see some Pacific terrains but I'm guessing it might have something to do with how many textures you'd have to load to get into the game.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »
We had a Pacific theater in Air Warrrior.  One harsh reality of it, with bases farther apart, was that it was routine to see people flying around at 25 to 30k. There were folks up there all the time. I personally don't want to spend the time to alt that high, get a kill or two and then die.. only to spend another 10 minutes of alting to do it again.   No Thank  you.

i know..i remember it. it kinda sucked. that's part of what kept me flying in rr europe
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
i know..i remember it. it kinda sucked. that's part of what kept me flying in rr europe

same
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:22 AM »
it wouldnt need to be spread out as much as a real life map things can be
condenced like they are now.
If we have the constant sunshine in the arena be nice to have some palm trees to go with it.
Not everywhere has rolling green fields and hedgrows.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:08:33 AM »
If it were possible, and then it was well implemented (which most of you assume it wouldn't be), I would be into it.  I'm not a big fan of the island maps as they are because the fights center around cv's, and consequently they are short-lived.  Then I spend too much time scoping out the map to find the next fight.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
If it were possible, and then it was well implemented (which most of you assume it wouldn't be), I would be into it.  I'm not a big fan of the island maps as they are because the fights center around cv's, and consequently they are short-lived.  Then I spend too much time scoping out the map to find the next fight.

but they are GOOD fights.
till some bone smoker schmuck comes in and sinks the CV anyway
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:32 AM »
Only because some bone smoker schmuck on the other side parks the boat right off shore so he can vulch the field with auto-ack or 5" guns. CVs should not be allowed to come within a sector of land, thus maintaining the average distance between bases.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Only because some bone smoker schmuck on the other side parks the boat right off shore so he can vulch the field with auto-ack or 5" guns. CVs should not be allowed to come within a sector of land, thus maintaining the average distance between bases.

actually when i've been furballing near cv's the most i see the 5" ers manned is when there's lancstukas inbound, ju's diving, etc.............

otherwise, it's just a big fun furball
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"