Author Topic: The Head-On  (Read 2997 times)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
The Head-On
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
Why is it so popular? Is it just a prefered shot of some, can others just not fight well? Granted, i HO, we all HO at some point (for the most part we all do i should say), however i come across those select few who HO just to HO it seems. Im not saying names, so as not to be hated anymore, but there is that select few. Im not saying that the HO shot is stupid, or that it shouldnt be allowed, Im just asking why its so common. And yes, i understand it was also common in World War II.

:salute
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline betty

• Gold Member
Re: The Head-On
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
ARE U KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

This coming from the guy that was in the KOTH last night and all you did was go for the HO shot on me when we was in F4U-1A's.....i was so discussed with this but i have high respect for akdogg so i kept my mouth shut...well..the best i could, however i'm very much sure that you remember me asking you if you ran out of ammo cuz u had missed all ur HO attempts...so maybe u might wanna edit this post before its too late, i have film of my flights in KOTH if u  would like to take a look at them.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:20 PM »
 :eek: :uhoh
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »
i wasnt asking for criticism.....and i said in my originol post "Most of us HO at some point" did i not? you can ask AKWoodie..i never lined up for HO on him, think it was Darth2 who got me right after you betty, i never lined up for HO with him. Im sorry im not a perfect little angel in the sky. Granted, i did HO, i didnt hit, and some of those "HO's" on betty, you never had a shot...chill out...DAMN!
MasonZ - In-game ID

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
Never post a thread and "expect NO criticism."   Sorry, playing the role of wounded puppy won't fly. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:57 PM »
Well, for fresh new guys, it's the only time they'll ever get you in their sights, and many go on to decide that's good enough for them ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
Well, for fresh new guys, it's the only time they'll ever get you in their sights, and many go on to decide that's good enough for them ;)
makes sense. simple enough answer i would guess.  :salute Vudak.
MasonZ - In-game ID

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
a HO puts your in such a bad position when entering a fight. i know every single time im gonna win when some 1 takes a HO shot at me no mater who it is.

but the HO is just a way to shoot some 1. most people dont know how to move there plane out of the way so they just shoot and prey you blow up before they hit you.

why HO some 1 when it takes you 15 minutes to fly to the enemy base. it just seems stupid to me to waist a sortie like that. you will almost die every time commiting to a HO on HO merge. goin out to the side of them and immuling over them. while they are flyin strait tryin to HO you. you are already on top of them waiting to get a real kill.

just some words of advise  :)
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
If you really really really want to save a base and somehow you manage to get off the runway... a 1:1 kill/death ratio is acceptable... I guess. In that situation the guy you kill has to come a lot further to get back to the fight then you do AND... the game is (big gasp) SCORED such that killing quickly makes you look impressive. For a LOT of people this is the only way they will ever get a score at all.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
Why is it so common?  Well, it is the simplist most basic way to get shots on a target.  Simply point your plane at what you want to hit, and shoot.  Having the other plane turning toward you (and into your guns) makes things that much easier.

As far as being an inefficient way to score kills (50/50 odds at best)- that's actually pretty good odds for a fairly large group out there.  Anyone who has less than a 1/1 K/D is doing worse than 50/50...

Why would someone not take the HO shot?  An "ace" might avoid the HO for several reasons-  50/50 odds aren't good enough, and he/she'd rather maneuver for a safer position to shoot from, or maybe he/she sees the HO as a "low-skill, beneath my level of expertise" tactic.  For someone not all that skilled, those ideas don't really apply. They may just want the kill, and not care about how they get it.  And honestly, against a superior pilot the HO may be the best option they have to win that particular fight.  If they try to out-maneuver the ace their chances of winning the engagement may drop significantly below 50/50.  For them the option may not be about whether or not to take the HO, but whether or not they can get the shot off before you do (whether you intended to shoot or not...)

In reality, it's a no-brainer that if you let your opponent get his guns on you he's likely to shoot at you.  If you're getting hit, you've screwed up.  Who really cares what angle the bullets come from?  I think the real reason the HO is such a sore subject is that folks are embarassed by being beaten by the simplist, most basic shot possible, before they're able to put their super-uber maneuvering skills to practice.

The trick is to kill the other guy without getting killed yourself- not to kill the other guy because he was nice enough to not kill you when he had the chance.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
i mean if your just takin off and theres nothin you can do they maybe. but base defending while your up and moving still takes the fun out of it when you HO them. i love watchin them waist 100 rounds of ammo everytime they miss me lol
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »
See topic under "Head-on-shots" in arena etiquette training section.
May explain some of it.
I Ho while defending base from large amounts of cons or last ditch.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:47 AM »
i wasnt asking for criticism.....and i said in my originol post "Most of us HO at some point" did i not? you can ask AKWoodie..i never lined up for HO on him, think it was Darth2 who got me right after you betty, i never lined up for HO with him. Im sorry im not a perfect little angel in the sky. Granted, i did HO, i didnt hit, and some of those "HO's" on betty, you never had a shot...chill out...DAMN!

i was too busy avoiding ur HO shot....u come on here wanting sympothy. AND AKdogg watched u go for the HO on others like darth and woodie cuz he was in CM eye mode and seen u. its funny that u say "most of us HO at some point" when the only shot u ever took when fighting me in KOTH was the HO shot. u make a post like this AFTER u do the same thing and dont want criticism? come on...... :noid
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:49 AM »

i was too busy avoiding ur HO shot....u come on here wanting sympothy. AND AKdogg watched u go for the HO on others like darth and woodie cuz he was in CM eye mode and seen u. its funny that u say "most of us HO at some point" when the only shot u ever took when fighting me in KOTH was the HO shot. u make a post like this AFTER u do the same thing and dont want criticism? come on...... :noid

lol, did the same to me also  :rofl  Ubs, why don;t you answer your own question?  Why do you go for the HO all the time?

Now Betty knows why I said no to the Tiffi  :lol  It bad enough having to worry about getting picked in there.  The last thing I want is having 4 20mms coming straight at me when I am doing 120mph in a Tiff  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.