Author Topic: 109 gunnery  (Read 3099 times)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: 109 gunnery
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Agent love that sight!!!!!!

i will definately be using it soon.

how do you make one?

i have had some ideas about designing some but dont know where to begin.

<SALUTE>

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
Bloody hell agent thats the last time I announce my secret plans in public!! :lol I've been beaten to the punch!
My sight the pervemaster3000©® is below in case anyones interested note the 'ho zone layer©®' at the top allowing better views for the old ho, the yellow lines are tested by scientists for tater drop.  :rock :rock :lol

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »
I am concerned about the convergance that i always set my guns to.  I usually set all my planes (F4U, F6F, P-38, P-51) to about D600.  Is this too far??  Is this maybe why i am missing a lot of kills.  I usually get within 800 before i start shooting and then move closer (To within D600-D400) It is usually effective but i want to get better. How should i be setting this up??

Unless its a dead 6 shot, anything over 400 is wasting ammo. Even if you do hit, the round has lost energy and there for doesn't do as much damage.

Setting convergence is more of a personal preference, and you'll get a hundred different answers. I set pretty much all guns to 325-350, and try to only shot under 400. The idea is you want your rounds to hit the target AT your convergence. In a pony you have 6 guns, 3 on one wing 3 on the other. Just for the sake of argument, each group of guns are 40 feet apart. When you shot, they start at 40 feet apart, converge at what ever range you set them at, then split again each group continuing more or less in a strait line. If you hit farther out than the convergence, your rounds are all spread out, same as inside, but right AT convergence it kinda makes one BIG hole   :D

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 10:19:24 PM »
Bloody hell agent thats the last time I announce my secret plans in public!! :lol I've been beaten to the punch!
My sight the pervemaster3000©® is below in case anyones interested note the 'ho zone layer©®' at the top allowing better views for the old ho, the yellow lines are tested by scientists for tater drop.  :rock :rock :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

:O :O :O

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:devil :rock :devil
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 11:53:48 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »

Hi Pervert,

That thing you call a sight looks like something I used to draw in grade school and I would show the girls ending in detention .. :devil

Offline WarTooth

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
BaldEagl,

I have everything set to 650 and fire all guns at once.  Personally, I think it's all a matter of preference.  I don't seem to have any problems hitting when I need to.

I don't understand how you do it.  Your convergence goes against the advice that 95% say (set it real close).  I am not being critical I am praising as your hit% is a scary 12.19.  :O

How do you do it?

Do you use an $10k 72" Widescreen HDTV?  Uber macros? Aim bot?  Incredible.  Please educate us on your technique sir.  :)

Sincere thanks,

WT

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
BaldEagl,

I don't understand how you do it.  Your convergence goes against the advice that 95% say (set it real close).  I am not being critical I am praising as your hit% is a scary 12.19.  :O

How do you do it?

Do you use an $10k 72" Widescreen HDTV?  Uber macros? Aim bot?  Incredible.  Please educate us on your technique sir.  :)

Sincere thanks,

WT

Yes, I know my set-ups go against the grain and most wouldn't agree with them.  I've just learned to hit long when I need to even though most times I fire inside 400.

I think about it like this; if, in the worst case scenario, I have wing mounted guns, then they will be firing inward from that point no matter what the convergence is set to.  That being the case, I don't see a big difference between converging at 400 vs 650; only with weaker guns (i.e .303's) or those with poor ballistics (i.e. Russian and Japanese cannons) IMO (which I always set to 400... Russian and Japanese planes and early Spits).  With hub mounted cannon or cowl mounted machine guns the differences become significantly less.

So let's say I'm in a F6F and only hit with the left side guns.  That's still 3 .50's nearly converged; plenty to take off a wing.  If I'm in a Spit hitting with one side a single 20mm Hispano can do the trick.  With a hub mounted 30mm like the K-4, it doesn't really matter where convergence is set.  One hit, one kill.  And the beauty is, if I'm tracking a con and can't close beyond 800-1000 I've got the best set-up possible to make him pay at that distance (I get several kills per camp at 1000 yards).

In close on snapshots I often see hits on the cockpit and see a wing coming off before the plane explodes.  In fact, fuselage/wing combos are quite common with long convergences in close, and almost always result in either the loss of a wing or a pilot death.

Finally, and an important point, is that I've also got the best possible set-up for buff killing, which typically adds ~2% to my hit% over a camp.  I learned to hit and kill buffs from 800+ in the FW190 using the 30mm's and I actually do better at distances with the 30mm than most.  Having a chance to bring them up close and personal is just a bonus.

As I always say, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and what you're used to.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:00:15 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
The 30mm doesn't seem to converge correctly at 650. So, I wouldn't set it out any further than 400 even if you want to make long shots.
Wedge

Offline WarTooth

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
BaldEagl,

Wow.  Thanks for the detail.  This forum and the quality advice such as yours makes this game invaluable.  :aok

One followup question please sir.  Do you set all your guns to the same convergence or span them out (P-51 example: 500, 475, 450)?  Why or why not?

Thanks again,

WT

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »
BaldEagl,

Wow.  Thanks for the detail.  This forum and the quality advice such as yours makes this game invaluable.  :aok

One followup question please sir.  Do you set all your guns to the same convergence or span them out (P-51 example: 500, 475, 450)?  Why or why not?

Thanks again,

WT

I always use point convergences.  I view staggered convergence as almost planned spray and prey.  I'll explain a little in the first paragraph below while I make a couple of other points in regards to convergence and gunnery overall:

With convergence set at 650 in the worst case scenario (wing guns), then at 1300 yards (beyond where you can even hit), the bullet spread is theoretically the same distance between the guns on your plane (bullets converge then spread back out).  The shorter the convergence setting, the more the bullet spread at the same distance, so shorter convergences force you to not only come in closer, but also limit how far out you can be to deliver a fatal blow.  This is also true for spread or zoned convergences, limiting the shortest set guns.

The final points I'll make as to gunnery are patience and conservation.  Learn to get behind and stay behind your opponent and wait for the shot you want.  As long as you can saddle up and can stay there it will eventually come.  I'm not saying don't take snapshots if the opportunity presents itself but when you do, as with any shot, use short bursts on the trigger.  If you're tracking, then burst, adjust and burst again.  Never hold the trigger down longer than a second (two at the most).

[EDIT]  Finally, take everything I say with a grain of salt as I AM opposed to the majority on this issue.  It's just what I'm used to.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:52:31 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.