Author Topic: Landing kills  (Read 7960 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Landing kills
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 06:41:26 PM »
System:  BnZ landed two Groaners with an Old Joke.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
Honestly, if it bothers you to see someone landing two kills that much, squelch the system channel (if that is really possible).

The much derided "Name in Lights" serves a definite purpose in AH2.  You see, it 's all about positive reinforcement.  A newer player, one who hasn't been around long enough to do much more then flat turn all the time needs to have a goal.

It starts out, for a brand new player, to be all about not dying every time you take off.  Occaisionally returning alive from a sortie and successfully stopping on the runway to /.ef.  Maybe they didn't shoot anyone down, but they mixed it up in the combat area and made it back out and home alive.  Maybe they ran out of ammo because their gunnery is worse then pathetic, or maybe other members of their country cleared out the bad guys.  The point being, they entered the fight, fought, and made it home with their scalp.

It won't be long before they are getting an occaisional kill.  Another bench mark.  They see others landing kills all the time, so they look forward to, and strive for the day that they too can regularly land with a couple scalps.  Perhaps it's been too long for most of you "Veteren" pilots, but that first time you score a couple kills and manage to make it home alive, you really do feel good.  It is an accomplishment.

Once you are landing kills regularly, you start to seek out new and more difficult goals.   Maybe try to land 3 or 4 kills.  Or try to succeed in a more difficult aircraft. 

The problem is, that many of you who post here have forgotten what it is like to be new to the world of online air combat.  You regularly rack up 6+ kills per sortie.  Getting kills is easy for you.  You've reached the stage where the little ego boost of your "name in lights" doesn't mean anything to you anymore.  No, in fact, you begrudge anyone else who might actually want to exit a combat area.  You perceive the other pilot's desire to return to base alive as cowardice.  While actually, you're just a bit irritated that they didn't stick around so that YOU could shoot THEM down.  You are striving to reach different goals.  Perhaps Hit%, perhaps Rank...  Who knows.  Maybe you are a purist who is all about the Co-Alt, Co-E, 1 vs 1 fight.  Well, the average new guy isn't up to your level yet.

You all need to step back and take a closer at why it bothers you if somebody else's name pops up in the text buffer landing kills.

I get why some of you might prefer that the threshold is 5 kills...  Or like somebody suggested, post streak totals...  I see that as just an elitist mind set.  You all can land 5+ kills, or rack up long streaks.  You want YOUR name up "in lights", without being sullied by lesser pilots getting the recognition.  It's nothing more then shifting the bar.  Whatever.

This game has an incredibly steep learning curve.  This game can be very frustrating at times.  Most especially frustrating for newer players. 

I see nothing wrong with an occaisional ego stroke for a player who lands a couple kills.  It might be the difference between a player being motivated to improve and quitting out of sheer frustration.  It's basic human nature.

I wouldn't be opposed to creating levels of congrats...  Maybe change the message for someone who lands 5...  10...  Then those guys who can regularly land 4 kills might stretch to try and make it into that 5 Landed message.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:30:35 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »
It's possible, just type '.squelch 6' I think.  :aok
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 07:13:41 AM »
Lots of new guys work hard to get their two kills so they can get their name in lights.  I think it's ok the way it is.

Besides that, when I land a few I also like to see how many others are landing and in what.

Ahh, the tired old chestnut of catering to the lowest common denominator.  No dweeb left behind?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
System:  BnZ landed two Groaners with an Old Joke.

:rofl

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
Besides that, when I land a few I also like to see how many others are landing and in what.

Absolutely.  I like to know who the Spixteen dweebs are. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Honestly, if it bothers you to see someone landing two kills that much, squelch the system channel (if that is really possible).

The much derided "Name in Lights" serves a definite purpose in AH2.  You see, it 's all about positive reinforcement.  A newer player, one who hasn't been around long enough to do much more then flat turn all the time needs to have a goal.

It starts out, for a brand new player, to be all about not dying every time you take off.  Occaisionally returning alive from a sortie and successfully stopping on the runway to /.ef.  Maybe they didn't shoot anyone down, but they mixed it up in the combat area and made it back out and home alive.  Maybe they ran out of ammo because their gunnery is worse then pathetic, or maybe other members of their country cleared out the bad guys.  The point being, they entered the fight, fought, and made it home with their scalp.

It won't be long before they are getting an occaisional kill.  Another bench mark.  They see others landing kills all the time, so they look forward to, and strive for the day that they too can regularly land with a couple scalps.  Perhaps it's been too long for most of you "Veteren" pilots, but that first time you score a couple kills and manage to make it home alive, you really do feel good.  It is an accomplishment.

Once you are landing kills regularly, you start to seek out new and more difficult goals.   Maybe try to land 3 or 4 kills.  Or try to succeed in a more difficult aircraft. 

The problem is, that many of you who post here have forgotten what it is like to be new to the world of online air combat.  You regularly rack up 6+ kills per sortie.  Getting kills is easy for you.  You've reached the stage where the little ego boost of your "name in lights" doesn't mean anything to you anymore.  No, in fact, you begrudge anyone else who might actually want to exit a combat area.  You perceive the other pilot's desire to return to base alive as cowardice.  While actually, you're just a bit irritated that they didn't stick around so that YOU could shoot THEM down.  You are striving to reach different goals.  Perhaps Hit%, perhaps Rank...  Who knows.  Maybe you are a purist who is all about the Co-Alt, Co-E, 1 vs 1 fight.  Well, the average new guy isn't up to your level yet.

You all need to step back and take a closer at why it bothers you if somebody else's name pops up in the text buffer landing kills.

I get why some of you might prefer that the threshold is 5 kills...  Or like somebody suggested, post streak totals...  I see that as just an elitist mind set.  You all can land 5+ kills, or rack up long streaks.  You want YOUR name up "in lights", without being sullied by lesser pilots getting the recognition.  It's nothing more then shifting the bar.  Whatever.

This game has an incredibly steep learning curve.  This game can be very frustrating at times.  Most especially frustrating for newer players. 

I see nothing wrong with an occaisional ego stroke for a player who lands a couple kills.  It might be the difference between a player being motivated to improve and quitting out of sheer frustration.  It's basic human nature.

I wouldn't be opposed to creating levels of congrats...  Maybe change the message for someone who lands 5...  10...  Then those guys who can regularly land 4 kills might stretch to try and make it into that 5 Landed message.
QFT
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 06:20:57 AM »

+1 Dave, well put! :salute
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 12:28:53 AM »
OK I agree with most of what was said ... now let me put a spin on this.... now imagine this next line is the buffer box.

System: EbFd11 landed 2 kills in a P51d of the Instigators

then for the guys ALOT better than me it would look like this

System: Dkff landed 6 kills in a Yak 9 of the instigators

See separate the aces from the others by color of text and only show kills for your country not all, and that would probably work a little better.

what do u say HiTech??
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline roadking

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
It lets me know who's on, never bothered me before

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
     Of course you could do away with the name in lights altogether...just a thought.  :D

2 things i always do when i log into an arena.

/.squelch 6

/.squelch 1
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:19 AM »
that's good to know, where do you find all those trick messages?

in-game  type /.help for a list of dot commands.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:26 AM »
in-game  type /.help for a list of dot commands.

did it already but I never noticed this feature, will check better

Thanks
Save Swiss Milk, drink Beer!

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
I have gotten 10 in a C.205, No vaulches eaither.  :)
OEF 11-12

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
2 things i always do when i log into an arena.

/.squelch 6

/.squelch 1

can you do .squelch 2?? For like squelching Coutry? Or does .squelch 1 apply for squelching country?
No one knows what the future may bring.