Author Topic: Saitek X45 and Saitek Cyborg X?  (Read 3670 times)

Offline EnIgMaSpItPiLoT

• Zinc Member
Saitek X45 and Saitek Cyborg X?
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
       I'm ordering a new controller? What if anything have people heard about these two controllers! I tried the X52 I loved it just didn't react well with my computer! I'm especially intrested on feed back on the Saitek Cyborg X controller! Thank you  :salute

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Saitek X45 and Saitek Cyborg X?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
The X52 is a very large step up from the Cyborg. The Cyborg is a fine stick starting out though, mine still works.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »
Did you have the X52 hooked up to a powered USB port?  That can make a big difference.  I used the Cyborg for several years.  It was fine, but nowhere near as good as the X52 IMO.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
I had always heard horror stories about saitek gear, so I instead went with logitech's attack 3 (fairly cheap, good response but basic.) and I have just upgraded to a attack 3d pro because I wanted a twisty stick. Most of what I heard of the X52 is that it breaks down easily, jams, and has lead paint(jk on the paint), so I don't really know, but I do know that the logitech gear is pretty sturdy.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
I had always heard horror stories about saitek gear, so I instead went with logitech's attack 3 (fairly cheap, good response but basic.) and I have just upgraded to a attack 3d pro because I wanted a twisty stick. Most of what I heard of the X52 is that it breaks down easily, jams, and has lead paint(jk on the paint), so I don't really know, but I do know that the logitech gear is pretty sturdy.

I can't comment on the Saitek sticks, but I can say that I have had saitek pedals since about July...  I love them.  I can't imagine going back to a twisty stick set up.  Pedals are simply sooooo much more intuitive, especially if you have ever had the controls of a small airplane.  The twisty stick was always a wrong feeling thing, the pedals feel right.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:20:24 AM »
Saitek isn't the highest quality, but it's certainly much better than Logitech.

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
I used the Saitek X52 for about 18 months with no trouble.  The most important thing is to use a powered USB PORT.  Down load the latest software direct from the Saitek site & search the forums, both Saitek & Aces High for a profile, thenyou can customize some one  else's work.  I would recommend petals also, so much better control over the AC.  :noid :salute
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
Either the X45 or X52 are much better sticks for AH than the Cyborg.  There is also the X52 Pro which is top line but twice the price of a standard X52. 

The X45 (if you can even still get then) is a very good stick but there are significant differences between it and the X52 which is, of course, the newer model.  One of the biggest differences is that the 45 has a much heavier stick spring which means it takes a lot more force to move the stick around.  The X52 by comparison almost seems "floppy" and some people have complained about it but spring resistance is a matter of personal preference.  I prefer the lighter spring myself.  I've had three X45's and each one lasted about a year until the primary POV hat switch failed so they're not the most robust sticks out there.  I've had no problems with the X52 although I'll admit I've switched over to using TrackIR so don't use the POV hat as intensely as I did in the past.  Another big difference is that the 52 uses a twist stick for rudder control while the 45 has a large rocker on the back side of the throttle.  Before I got my pedals (highly recommended BTW) I preferred the rocker over a twist grip.  The last "important" difference is that the 52 uses hall-effect sesnsors for the stick X and Y axis.  There are much more precise than standard pots and are not subject to "spikes" as they get older and dirty.  I'm pretty sure the 45 just uses standard pots.  The rest of the differences are relatively minor and are either cosmetic or slight ergonomic differences.

I have seen extensive write ups on the Saitek web-site regarding programing issues and incompatibilities but haven't seen many cases where problems weren't fairly easy to resolve.  If, as others have mentioned, you use a powered USB cable then I don't see why you shouldn't get the X52 to work properly plus Saitek has a fairly liberal return policy if you can't.  Also, regardless of which model you get, if you can purchase an inexpensive extended warranty (such as at Best Buy) then that makes sense because, while good sticks, they're not cast iron.  You can lose most of the utility of a good stick if one switch goes bad and these sticks aren't designed to be taken apart and repaired so replacement is sometimes the only option.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
       I'm ordering a new controller? What if anything have people heard about these two controllers! I tried the X52 I loved it just didn't react well with my computer! I'm especially intrested on feed back on the Saitek Cyborg X controller! Thank you  :salute

AFAIK the Cyborg X is not available yet, but it looks indeed very promising. If it's keeps the qualities of its predecessors, this will be the stick to buy if you are not into HOTAS systems.

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
After a 2 year spread of buying joysticks , i finally bit the bullet and went with X52 PRo from saitek.  I love this set-up, and have had no problems.  Personally, I spent alot of money on cheap joysticks that wore out withing months.
Finnaly got my moneys' worth with this 52 pro.  'No more Calibrating'  TUK151
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena