Author Topic: Inflight radar,super ack and the 3 teams crap!  (Read 419 times)

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
Inflight radar,super ack and the 3 teams crap!
« on: February 05, 2000, 06:07:00 PM »
LOSE IT! Need either 4 or 2 teams and as for the other two they just screw up the game and bring on the quakers!

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2000, 06:14:00 PM »
 http://www.irelax.com/shopping/cgi-bin/frame.pl

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2000, 06:18:00 PM »
LMFAO  Ok so I went at it a bit hard but still this stuff needs to be fixed.

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2000, 01:30:00 AM »

Originally posted by Pyro:
http://www.irelax.com/shopping/cgi-bin/frame.pl

Okay, Pyro.  I take it this means 3 countries whether we like it or not?  Am still hoping this isn't another (albeit better) clone of AW1-2-3D and WB...  Fight the Barnies and the Frogs AND the Cherries, while trying to get some quality flight/fight time in without being vulched for my $$.  

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

funked

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2000, 04:29:00 AM »
Well I agree with Joey, but Pyro's link made me laugh big!

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 02-06-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2000, 06:59:00 AM »
(from behind sandbags....)

Sorta on the fence concerning inflight radar.  Kinda hokey, but it DOES make the game more "productive", since we don't have to waste a lot of time chasing friendly dots.  Also, it does give buffs a very valuable strat target.  I'd like to see tower-only radar, with inflight sector counters, and have the sector counters survive HQ destruction.

SuperAck definitely needs work, but it DOES prevent SuperVultchFest, and gives buffs a reason to live.  For now, soften up the ack a bit, and add multiple spawn points to make vultching more difficult.

Keep the three countries.  I've played AW, WB, and WB HA.  For my money, three works better than two or four.  When it get to be 2v1, defect to one of the 2, and start a new front between them.  You only have to wait an hour to come home.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

funked

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2000, 08:37:00 AM »
Popeye, you better duck!      

You seem to be saying we need the over-accurate ack to make the over-accurate BUFFs useful?

Plinking a 25 foot gun pit from 30,000 feet was NOT a viable tactic in WW2.
Isn't the goal to have a WW2 sim?  Then how about we have WW2 bombsights and WW2 AAA capabilities, not the B-2 GPS bombs and Phalanx CIWS we have now?

As far as preventing vulching, that's the responsibility of the guys taking off.  There are always other fields to launch from.  If we really want to prevent vulching, limit how often the vulch-ees can respawn.  If there's no roadkill there's no vultures.  In any case, I'd much rather have an arena with too much vulching than one with too much ackhugging.

Ackhugging ruins the game.  I go looking for the enemy and a good fight, but often I find some of the AH "top aces" racking them up by just sitting on the periphery of their ack and getting credited with ack kills or waiting for a pilot to lose energy evading ack, then killing him.  This has zero to do with skill as a fighter pilot, and is not fun at all.

The strat model, acks, etc. should be designed to promote realistic fighting, not this Air-Quake baloney...

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2000, 02:08:00 PM »
Ack hugging wreck the game
Well i guess that HTC can add that to the long list of things that apperently reck the game.
It takes 1 b26 1 pass to suppress most fields....A person that is ack hugging cant stop the b26. How much coordination is that to ask? Of all the stupid insults that people routinely use in this game ack hugger has to be the lamest. The guys is out numbered out EEEd and you think that he should come out and fight like a man...
I am starting to get an idea of the challenges facing HTC.
Half the people complain about ack hugging
Half complain about vulching
Half think bombers are too vulnerable
Half think they are too tough
Half think that you can shoot too far
Half think that hitting is too hard.
Im allready at 2.5 times the poplulation of AH and nothing approaching conseses except that the game is wrong...But we all like it...New thread time...

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »
"Ack hugging wreck the game. Well i guess that HTC can add that to the long list of things that apperently reck the game."

And what is HTC supposed to do to people who hug ack?
 Remember, aircraft don't hug ack. People hug ack. Learn to deal with it. If people are huggin the ack then you must be in a position to literally vulch. Get crafty.
 As a matter of fact pilots in WWII did it. That's just an fyi.

-Westy

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
did you read my whole note.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
LOL!! Westy you know better than this  

In WWII pilots didn't hug ack, but thats because in real life, the AAA gunners weren't very discriminate and had the bad habit of shooting first and asking questions later.

But then again, the real Ack weenies didn't have radar guide 30mm gatling guns, with integrated IFF, unlimited ammo, indestructible barrels, instant acquisition software, backup infrared and laser targeting systems, and unlimited fields of fire.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
Dicta Verm: "Never give the suckers an even break!" or translated "Never engage without an advantage"

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
Wow I cant beleave it,I didnt get flamed by a bunch of quakers!  

1.Get realistic ack.
2.Lose inflight radar if plane doesnt have onboard radar.
3.Teams....well only if ya really want to,no big deal realy.

Just my 29.99$

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by JoeMud:

1.Get realistic ack.

I submit that realistic AAA would be far more deadly than the rapid fire cannon that cover only the immediate vicinity of the base.  If accurately modeled 88mm triple A were introduced, we'd hardly ever see a Buff at any altitude.  Concentrated airburst flak on the single bombers we usually see in the AH arena would render them useless.  There were probably a lot more than two or three sets of anti-aircraft guns at any given base.  They were generally much better hidden or camoflaged than at the fields in AH.  

The field ack we have is fairly easy to avoid and easy to take out.  The ack "umbrellas" take up a very small percentage of airspace in the overall arena.  Why add realistic AAA that would make far larger volumes of air unflyable for both fighters and bombers?  Don't forget that realistic ack doesn't discriminate between friend and foe.  Your own ack could take you out if your field is under attack.  We only see the rounds going up as well; they never fall down and lay waste to the ground and airplanes below.

Be careful of what you ask for.  You (we) just might get it!

MiG

[This message has been edited by MiG Eater (edited 02-06-2000).]

funked

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2000, 06:15:00 PM »
MiG Eater I couldn't disagree more.  Flying an aircraft over an AH field straight and level at 7k is a death sentence.  You will die every time.  Period.

This was simply not the truth in real life.  Not even close!

I guess it may have been possible with a huge concentration of guns.  But at this altitude IFF would have been difficult.  Certainly such an ack concentration would be almost as deadly to friendlies as to bandits.

Also I think you are off on the 88mm.  These guns were only useful in huge concentrations.  It's a bloody artillery piece.  A single FlaK 88 would have zero chance of killing a maneuvering fighter.

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2000, 01:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
MiG Eater I couldn't disagree more.  Flying an aircraft over an AH field straight and level at 7k is a death sentence.  You will die every time.  Period.

I didn't state that AH ack is innaccurate or not hard hitting, just that it is easy to avoid.  Flying above and around it renders it innefective.  I have to ask, why would anyone fly straight and level within range of any AAA in AH?  A B-17 could climb above 7.5k in less than 10 minutes.  If one is looking for easy kills on low and slow airplanes on and around enemy airfields, then I can see the frustration.

This was simply not the truth in real life.  Not even close!

Not even in the Pacific where ships bristled with 40 mm AAA?  I don't think the Japanese and American pilots shot down at cruise altitudes would agree with you.  There is lots of film of V-1 bombs being shot down by anti-aircraft fire over England.  They were high and fast and made very difficult targets, even more so than the big slow bombers in AH (or even small slow fighters).  Yet the majority never made it intact to the target.  Thats realistic.  I don't think there will be much benefit of having all of the skies over the AH arena erupting in deadly flak burst whenever we enter enemy airspace.

I guess it may have been possible with a huge concentration of guns.  But at this altitude IFF would have been difficult.  Certainly such an ack concentration would be almost as deadly to friendlies as to bandits.[\QUOTE]

Exactly my points.  Thats historically accurate but would it add the "realism" that some are asking for?  

I think you are off on the 88mm.  These guns were only useful in huge concentrations.  It's a bloody artillery piece.  A single FlaK 88 would have zero chance of killing a maneuvering fighter.

I didn't mention anything about 88's against fighters.  Single 88's were not the norm however, often ringing industrial targets and airfields by the dozens.  Add to that the multitude of other caliber weapons used on all sides.  But the original poster wants realism and what I think they really want is less or fairly ineffective ack over fields. I wasn't there in WW2 but I talk regularly with people who were.  The one thing they feared above all else?  Anti Aircraft fire. If people here fear the ack then we already may have some measure of historical accuracy.

MiG