Author Topic: Please Make The Icons Smaller  (Read 251 times)

funked

Please Make The Icons Smaller
« on: February 06, 2000, 06:43:00 PM »
Maybe 3 settings we can choose from?  I really like the small font size available in Brand W.

I like fighting airplanes, not billboards.  

Also on a more practical note, it makes a close formation of planes somewhat unintelligible.  Looks more like alphabet soup than a combat formation!

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
What funked said  

svk

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »
What Delta said and funked too !

Offline Gie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeh, it is difficult to aim, when you have 2-3 or 4 planes in front, some of them is hidden in icons.
Another case - you see far dot at 5ft, go closer, then- ! ICON popups and you cannot see plane for a while, as bright icon mess you up.

Gie

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2000, 07:57:00 AM »
And put the icons below the planes!
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
Below the planes is a very good idea.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
Off the screen is a better one.

How about an option to turn them off or at least reduce them to nothingness?

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2000, 05:13:00 AM »
I think u can already turn them off by hitting "ALT-I"

Maik

[This message has been edited by maik (edited 02-16-2000).]

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2000, 01:26:00 AM »
Rather the option of being able to turn off just friendly icons and ability to reduce the range at which enemy icons appear.

funked

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2000, 03:46:00 AM »
I just want to be able to make them smaller.  Maybe the current size is needed if you have visual impairment.  But I'd like to see them even smaller than WB.

ezrust

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2000, 11:33:00 PM »
Here's a thought:
How about no icons unless the bogey is within D-whatever and is in your gunsight.  Once a bogey has been identified as friend or foe (by being in your gunsight at < D-whatever) the icon remains visible until he gets D-10 or so away.  The icon remains visible even if you find the bogey on your six- as long as you have previously identified him.  
I just really want to see STEALTH implimented and with our cool view system we should be able to constantly check six looking for tiny dots.
Here's an example of how it would work:
You are flying along when you notice a speck low at 7oclock.  You wheel around to the left and put the speck in your sights.  When the speck becomes D-5 you see an icon and it's friendly.  You turn around and notice another speck at 10 oclock.  You fly towards it and when you get D-5 and he's in your sights you see it's a bandit.  He is flying towards you as well and you dive to avoid a head on.  You look back and see his icon as he rolls to dive on you.  But after you pass D-5 his icon disappears.  But so does yours, and you pull a hard turn and run away hugging the ground.  He lost you and you are alive... an incredible wimp, but alive.  You then see his speck silhouetted against the sky and follow him on his very low six.  You climb steadily, slowly, creeping up behind.  He snaps his head back in his cockpit a few times but doesn't really scrutinize the terrain.  By the time you are D-5 his icon shows up but you are on his low six and he would really have to pann around the cockpit to see you.  When you get D-3 you let him have it and he explodes- never knowing what happened.
I don't think with the current set up you are able to disengage realisticly.  Nor are you penalized for poor SA.

Citabr

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2000, 09:02:00 PM »
turn off enemy icons

leave friendly billboards on

Offline Phantom121

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2000, 05:40:00 PM »
I agree Citabr.  I have made this recommendation many time. Turn of enemy icons. With radar, and the general fact that air fields and hq are where most battles are occurring finding a fight is not too hard.  With no enemy icons, would be easier to sneak a c47 in and certain increase the ability to bounce (and be bounced).

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
If you turn the icons off altogether, the hardware issue will raise its ugly head.  Those that play at 1600x1200 with a 21" monitor will have a huge advantage over the ones playing 640x480 with a 15"...

I suggest you shorten the range at which the icon pops up.  And maybe country icon, plane type and range could pop up at different ranges: country 6K, plane type 3K, range 1K?

And put the icon below the plane!!

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2000, 11:51:00 AM »

And put the icon below the plane!!

Hell no!  And have Goony's able to hide thier identification until they make it into your base?  Personally, I dont like that idea since icons can be cut off by the ground.  Thus a low flying goony is able to hide its icon.  If you dont believe me, try flying upside down and looking for the icon of any low flying plane.

I really do like the 3K distance idea, lets just leave icon locations where they are at.

-Ding