Author Topic: Question re Field Acks  (Read 125 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Question re Field Acks
« on: February 24, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
My understanding is that all hit detection is done on the client's FE.

So,  I shoot at a con, my FE registers the hits, sends them via the server to my opponent and he blows up.

Acks would be the same way, wouldn't they?  I shoot at an ack, I hit it, it dies, it stops firing immediately its dead.  

Reason I'm asking is that I am getting a lot of late pings from acks.. 2 or 3 seconds late in fact.  How does this happen?  I would have thought that as soon as my FE detects the ack has died, it would immediately stop shooting.  But does it?

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Question re Field Acks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
Hit detection is done on the client, but the damage part is done on the server.  Hence, you see your hits right away, but it may take a second or two for the damage to show up.  It is the same way with other planes, if you fire a burst you have to wait sometimes to see the damage due to lag.

------------------
Lephturn - Aces High Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome!

"Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know." - Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne. (1533–1592)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Question re Field Acks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2001, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply Lephturn.  There's obviously a very good reason for damage to be registered on the server rather than the client's FE, but for the friggin life of me I cannot think what it is!

You guys out there with sub 100ms ping times really do not know what an advantage you have over the rest of the field!

Or how about this for a radical idea?  Once the target dies on your FE, no further damage packets from that target are accepted?  How hard would that be to do?  Ever engaged a buff, blown him up, only to receive damage a couple of seconds later from the tail gunner who no longer exists on your FE?

Ever had a front quarter pass at an aircraft, watched it explode and still take hits a second or two later?

If your FE blocked those late damage packets, where would the disadvantage be?

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

[This message has been edited by Jekyll (edited 02-24-2001).]

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
Question re Field Acks
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »

------------
Ever had a front quarter pass at an aircraft, watched it explode and still take hits a second or two later?

If your FE blocked those late damage packets, where would the disadvantage be?

-------------

Imagine Mr. low ping gets into head on with Mr. high ping.

As fas as position goes, they are equal. Mr. Low ping is getting Mr. High pings position info delayed by his ping + the other guy's ping. Ditto for Mr. High ping.

So they both fire at the same distance, both send out damage info (via the server) to each other's machines. The server decides when the 'death 'occurred and informs both sides.

Except the server would decide Mr. High Ping died first since it got the damage info from Mr. Low ping first.

The high ping guy gets screwed because the server gets his 'I killed Mr. Low ping' message later.

The only 'fair' way to do this is to keep handing out the damage packets even after both sides have sent out enough packets to 'kill' the other guy.

It's an even playing feild this way, the only downside is getting 'after the fact' pings.

And you can see how this works with acks too. Should we give a bonus to the guys with high pings by having the server ignore the fact that is reacts slower to them?

Their FE says they are right on top of the ack and firing. Because of delays, the server thinks mr High ping is 1000 yrds out. They send a bunch of damage messages that *will* kill the ack. He just happens to send them out before the ack even thinks he's in range.

Is the ack supposed to go, "oh, this guy has already killed me according to his FE. I guess I'll just ignore the fact that I've been firing on him for the last 10 seconds."

QED: There's no fair solution to 'after the death' pings.

For further reading, I recommend Einstein. There is no such thing as a 'true' time-line of events when there are different frames of temporal reference.

Subject closed, I hope.

~Lemur

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Question re Field Acks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Yep lots fairer in this game than were we were before , FA . Low pings got the kill and the high pings guys got in the bellybutton all the time   , NO HEADON'S was my motto .
Crap shot who had the better connect .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Question re Field Acks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
Jekyll: The resone is simple. Multiple people can do damage to objects.

HiTech