Author Topic: IL2  (Read 1822 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: IL2
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
I was dogfighting a N1K in an IL-2 over one of our VB's one night.  He finally got me but it took about 5-10 minutes.  The IL-2's not a bad turn fighter but a little help is nice.

IL2 is a very good turn fighter if you get it slow enough. I hate them mainly because of the 3rd person same with A20's. Get someone that is half way good in either of those planes and they can hit you 800+ out because of the third person view.
"strafing"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
The last time we discussed this topic, it was pretty easy to figure out that everyone who was against perking the Il-2 spent little or zero time in tanks.  Imagine that. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »
Now there's a bold statement, completely absent of fact.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »
The last time we discussed this topic, it was pretty easy to figure out that everyone who was against perking the Il-2 spent little or zero time in tanks.  Imagine that. ;)

I'd say I have more overall time in GVs than you (dec 04). I don't want em perked.
Care to rethink your post?
See Rule #4

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »
I've been flying the iL2 in midwar, yes it will kill pretty much anything if you can hit it.
However I really don't see that it needs perking.
Hitting a panzer hiding in trees  is not an easy task. Especially with the big convergence factor.

Now hitting a enemy plane at 800 to 1.4 out, that will make your day and ruin his. But its hard on ammo, and not that easy to do without some practice.

So as usual the defining factor comes down to skill. Those who who have spent the time learning it can kill fairly easy, if they have fighter cover or clear skys. Without fighters near,  its quickly a target and then dead, especially when attacking near an enemy base.

However one thing I really dislike doing in the iL2, going up against a pair of wirbles/ostys.
If they are close enough together to support each other the iL2 will end up dead almost every time.
All you can do is try to drop some eggs and hope to take one out.

So if your GVing, bring along a couple of friends in Wirblewinds or Ostwinds. You'll find you have a much easier time of it. And it never hurts to have a few guys flying cap for you either.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
I'd say I have more overall time in GVs than you (dec 04). I don't want em perked.
Care to rethink your post?

Not really, because so far as I can recall, you didn't participate in that thread. ;)  Or at least, not very much.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »

Those that were crying for the IL2 to be perked were using stupid tactics in GVs by attacking without air cover or AA defense against positions that had air cover.  Imagine that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »

Those that were crying for the IL2 to be perked were using stupid tactics in GVs by attacking without air cover or AA defense against positions that had air cover.  Imagine that.

ack-ack

Oh, wow, that was clever!  I just got so pwnd. :rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BoSoxFan

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
B-25H can kill a Tiger or T-34 in one shot as well. 

The problem isn't the IL2 but rather with the tank not having air support attacking a position that does.  Sounds like bad planning to me.

ack-ack

That is true but you get one maybe two shots per pass and you need to know how to aim it. With the 37mm Il2 you just put the piper on the tank and spray away.

The IL2 is now the main plane I roll with a base is under attack. Its great agenst attacking planes because they make a pass and do little damage, over shoot, then eat some laser 37mms. The only thing I have a problem with is wirbles but Iv just learned how to use trees as cover then pop up at the last second hit thier turret then make a kill pass.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
Oh, wow, that was clever!  I just got so pwnd. :rofl

It was never my intent to 'pwn' you, it was merely to point out that the majority of those players like yourself, that want the IL2 to be perked use stupid tactics when attacking without air cover. 

Seems to me if you guys would change tactics to counter the IL2 threat, it won't be much of a threat afterwards.  An IL2 will have a tough time attacking your tank if it has a few AA vehicles firing at it and a couple of fighters saddled up on its six.  Go figure.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
It was never my intent to 'pwn' you, it was merely to point out that the majority of those players like yourself, that want the IL2 to be perked use stupid tactics when attacking without air cover. 

Seems to me if you guys would change tactics to counter the IL2 threat, it won't be much of a threat afterwards.  An IL2 will have a tough time attacking your tank if it has a few AA vehicles firing at it and a couple of fighters saddled up on its six.  Go figure.

ack-ack

Well, as you read in the other thread, I learned my lesson about Il-2s in the first tour they were introduced.  That's why they haven't killed me this tour; I adapted.  The sad part is that adapting to the Il-2 means avoiding some potentially fun gv fights that would have been fun 2 months ago, but which are fun no more.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:49:03 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
Well, as you read in the other thread, I learned my lesson about Il-2s in the first tour they were introduced.  That's why they haven't killed me this tour; I adapted.  That sad part is that adapting to the Il-2 means avoiding some potentially fun gv fights that would have been fun 2 months ago, but which are fun no more.
Your just lucky they didn't have the patients to learn the IID.
See Rule #4

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
:rofl

Granted I don't spend quite as much time in vehicles as I used to, but I believe perking the IL-2 is a silly idea.

(Just as silly an idea as those who whine that the WW needs perked, BTW.)
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
The sad part is that adapting to the Il-2 means avoiding some potentially fun gv fights that would have been fun 2 months ago, but which are fun no more.
Why?  Afraid your score will suffer?   :O
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
Why?  Afraid your score will suffer?   :O

Just like Bronk, you're pathetically trolling.  Nice try. :aok
gavagai