Author Topic: Why overshooting is to be avoided.  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Why overshooting is to be avoided.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
Did you even read my thread i said its common sense that you would meet co alt i never said anything or would merge at a higher alt if someone wants to duel. And it isnt expected from other party either but if they do so be it.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
It is common sense that two would merge at a relative co alt co E engagement.

Not at all.  It's a very simple courtesy to agree to an alt cap before the initial merge.  There is no co-E without a cap because inevitably one or both players will be seeking to gain an E advantage before they even make visual contact.  Which quite frankly is a waste of everyones time since the idea is to engage in a 1 vs 1, and not to fool around for 10 minutes playing who can climb the highest.

Trying to unbalance the fight before the initial merge, be it a 100 mph advantage from a climbout and dive, or 500 lb weight advantage from manipulating the loadout, or a no-notice surprise aircraft choice, shows a total lack of respect for the fellow player who has chosen to spend a portion of their game playing time to arrange a 1 vs 1 with another player.  

Taking 30 seconds to communicate and agree on the pre-fight conditions is the adult thing to do.  Trying to be a weasel and rig the fight well before it actually starts is the childish way of doing it.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
It's not common sense to set a merge alt for most people, believe me.  Most people you get in the DA (think Cmustard) look for any advantage they can get and will do the lowest sort of things to do it.  Like pacerr saying use 50 fuel while he grabs only 25% (my personal favorite).  Anytime someone insists on 50 fuel you can almost guarantee that's what's going on. 

And to A8Tool's comments... in a duel why would you ever be chasing a guy?  And what does stick settings have to do with anything?  The plane can only maneuver as much as the airframe allows, a certain stick setting can't make it do one bit more.  Hell Lazer and Nilsen fly with a mouse... think their "stick settings" are uber?  And they would own 99.9% of the AH population in a duel.

The reason there are rules for duelling is because it's supposed to be a gentleman's sport of fairness in setup to see who the better pilot is.  A test of skill, not dweebery.  If you object to all of these things, I can only come to one conclusion, and this is based on 10+ years of flight sim experience...  the only ones who ever reject all the rules are the ones who have to have an unfair advantage to win.  And why?  Because they have zero integrity and just suck at fighting.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:25:34 PM by Stang »

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »

And to A8Tool's comments... in a duel why would you ever be chasing a guy?  And what does stick settings have to do with anything?  The plane can only maneuver as much as the airframe allows, a certain stick setting can't make it do one bit more.  Hell Lazer and Nilsen fly with a mouse... think their "stick settings" are uber?  And they would own 99.9% of the AH population in a duel.

I just recently lost my stick settings again  :mad: and I can tell you from experience that the stick you choose and your settings have everything to do with how good you are.  Stang, change yours to the default and see what happens. You will not be able to pull off many of your maneuvers like you know you can. For me, when my settings are off, my plane will begin to snap roll or I'll go into a spin trying to do things I already know i can do in whatever particular plane it is I'm flying.

lazer and nilsen have their mice tuned perfectly not to mention they have years of experience. If they switched to a cheap or standard mouse and had to start with new settings they would suck for a day.....or more. Stick settings are more than 1/2 the battle. The rest comes with time and practice.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
Oh and BTW stang  :)  If your not chasing him that means he's chasing you unless your in a draw match. The roles can switch rather quickly depending on skill but there is no in between. Someone is always chasing or avoiding an advantage.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »
I've never messed with my stick settings.  Hell I probably have all the default settings in use.  I could probably switch to flying w/ the mouse and it wouldn't make that much of a difference except fighting a guy like widewing or bighorn.  You guys get way too caught up in this stick setting crap.  It's not what makes one guy better than another. 

How does stick settings affect what manuever I can pull off?  To pull off a maneuver all I have to do is decide which one to do and simply fly my aircraft in that matter.  Whatever stick or mouse I am using won't allow me to pull that maueuver any differently than what the plane allows me to do.  The limits on the airframe are everything, not what the stick settings let you do.  You can only do what your aircraft lets you do, stick settings won't change that one bit.  Again, not one bit. 

Some of you are paranoid thinking the best pilots have these uber stick settings that allow them to do things you can't.  The only reason you can't pull some of these maneuvers they can is because you just aren't as good as they are or don't understand acm as well as they do.  It's as simple as that.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »
Sunday I was chasing a spit in MW. He had been running for a bit so I was typing alot with others in the room. Half way through a sentence he turns hard. lol I didn't react as fast as I normally would because I was mid-sentence. I quickly posted that half sentence and started a dance with the spit. It lasted almost 2 full minutes before I was able to gain the upper hand. So another suggestion is DON'T TYPE WHILE CLOSE IN.  lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »
Here's your chasing comment.  If you had to chase a guy for 3 to 6 minutes, then it isn't a duel, it's a lamefest.  That or you're fighting pacerr.  The only time you have to chase someone is when they have no clue what they are doing and they just extend away after the merge.  Cluelessness isn't acm.

Luck in some cases also can play a role. Like when you chase a guy around for 3-6 minutes then finally when your able to get a shot on him, the sun gets in the way, the cat jumps on your keyboard, your wife walks in the room naked, the pizza is at the door, smoke gets in your eye, the kid falls down the stairs,your computer freezes or you switch to udp

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
Oh and BTW stang  :)  If your not chasing him that means he's chasing you unless your in a draw match. The roles can switch rather quickly depending on skill but there is no in between. Someone is always chasing or avoiding an advantage.

I read your initial "chasing" comment the same way Stang did.  Which is one plane trying to catch another in a straight line chase.  If you meant circling in a luftberry for 5 minutes trying to gain angle and position on the other guy, chase is probably not the right word.

Like Stang said, a planes performance envelope in the game is the same regardless of the stick settings.  Any issues one might have is between themselves and how they are accustomed to manipulating their controller.  Stick setting do not make one "good" if they are not good to begin with.  It just makes one more prone to making mistakes if the settings are not what they're used to.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
I read your initial "chasing" comment the same way Stang did.  Which is one plane trying to catch another in a straight line chase.  If you meant circling in a luftberry for 5 minutes trying to gain angle and position on the other guy, chase is probably not the right word.

Like Stang said, a planes performance envelope in the game is the same regardless of the stick settings.  Any issues one might have is between themselves and how they are accustomed to manipulating their controller.  Stick setting do not make one "good" if they are not good to begin with.  It just makes one more prone to making mistakes if the settings are not what they're used to.
Bingo.

:aok

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
Some people....er most people start out trying to avoid being killed before they finally begin  acquiring skills enough to make one themselves. Some of them even to this day have more SA and avoidance skills than the actual ability to kill.

The majority of players coming into this game encounter nose bounce and the primary reason for not being able to kill efficiently. Without adjusting your stick settings properly, you can count on much frustration to be had. I would imagine Stang has no issues with nose bounce and Murder has spent many hours experimenting with stick settings trying to get them just right at some point. 

Chasing a guy who's flying the same plane and has the same level of skill as you can lead to many minutes of chasing each other around. Each of you are looking for either a mistake or an advantage. Chasing someone in the main opposed to dueling it out in the air are two different things.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »
I have horrible issues with nose bounce because my stick is 10 years old and is crapping out. Not much I can do about that except maybe try to replace the pots or get a new stick.

What is with all the chasing comments?  Is that all you find yourself doing is chasing or being chased?  The only guys I every chase are the chronically timid.  Either they're just acm clueless or a "vet" who lacks a set of gonads.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »
duel are so WWI  :p

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
I remember once, years ago, when I was making an attack run on some GVs using an Il-2 when suddenly there was a cacophony of pings and bangs that seemed to go on far longer than the Il-2 could hold together, and then the roar of a Spitfire Mk IX as it overshot me and began a lazy pull up.  I raised the nose a bit and popped off a burst of 23mm cannon and anniliated the Spitfire at about 500 yards.  Then I nursed my pulverized "Flying Coffin" back home.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
In fairness I understand what A8TOOL is trying to say with reference to stick settings.  My CH stick with default sliders, dead band and damping will roll my F6 inverted when on the edge in a hard turn.  Not good for lead shooting. 

I find the CH stick too sensitive with default settings.  Little to no feel before the plane does it's own thing.