Author Topic: G-Force in the P-51B  (Read 480 times)

Offline Race

• Copper Member
G-Force in the P-51B
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »
      Was watching some film and noticed something that was pretty cool. After pulling on the merge I routinely black out completely and easy off until I catch a tunnel. What was suprizing was the amount of G-Force I was pulling in that time. The gauge pegs at 8.8Gs for a little under a second while maintaining an average of over 7 Gs for over 4 seconds. In a normal steady turn riding the black out I am around 6.2 Gs. The rise time from 2 Gs to 8.8 was only .4 seconds or so.  I remember reading that most of the American P-51s were built to 5 Gs while the English built thiers to 8 Gs or so. I guess it might be a trivial thing but it suprized me how much you can really push the merge.

Anyone else ever checked there films for this?

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: G-Force in the P-51B
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
i could watch the g-meter in my planes, but blackouts, redouts, and control movements don't show in films for me.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Race

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:47:02 AM »
I wish they did....or had the option to show them.

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »
Films might be a bit jerky because of their low sample rate.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
      Was watching some film and noticed something that was pretty cool. After pulling on the merge I routinely black out completely and easy off until I catch a tunnel. What was suprizing was the amount of G-Force I was pulling in that time. The gauge pegs at 8.8Gs for a little under a second while maintaining an average of over 7 Gs for over 4 seconds. In a normal steady turn riding the black out I am around 6.2 Gs. The rise time from 2 Gs to 8.8 was only .4 seconds or so.  I remember reading that most of the American P-51s were built to 5 Gs while the English built thiers to 8 Gs or so. I guess it might be a trivial thing but it suprized me how much you can really push the merge.

Race

Going back to the P-51A, we find that the aircraft was rated for a flight limit load of 8g, with a 12g ultimate breaking load factor. I seem to recall that the heavier P-51B had its operational rating reduced to 7.5g with full internal load. Understand that this isn't a transient loading, but one that is sustained long enough to induce damage. Brief transient loads (seen as extremely short, millisecond duration g spikes via an accelerometer) were not usually dangerous unless imparted as a sustained oscillation.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:44:29 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »

Race
You actually have it backwards, the American specs for their aircraft were 8 g's.  I don't know about the rest of the world though, 5g's seems to be the right number in my mind for Europe for one reason or another.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
 Check the "G" rating for 109 wings....

:noid

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »