Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
Whale Wars
« on: November 29, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »
http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=whale+wars

First off I would like to say this is the poorest attempt at seamanship I have ever seen, I fully beleive that my tallship crew of highschoolers and college kids could do a better job sailing then these idiots, for those of you who know nothing about sailing or seamanship, just know these guys blow harder than tornado force winds.

So basicly these guys are eco-pirates (self proclaimed) who sail around antartica (and the artic which they dont show), trying to stop japaneese whaling research by ramming thier ships, and let me tell you these are huge thousands of tons ships, and throwing tear gas or acid on the ships or painting all over the ships. Then they give stupid half thought out reasons as to justify themselves and vilinize teh japanese. They also give stupid explanations as to try and prove that the japanese are trying to cover it up by writing stuff like RESEARCH or WE ARE LEGALY COLECTING SAMPLES AS PER INTERNATIONAL LAW in english on their ships in big letters in english. So the sea shepards go " hey so they wrote it in english so they look ok to other countries but so the japanese people wouldnt care because they dont care"....ENGLISH IS THE INTERNATIONAL MARITIME LANGUAGE YOU TARDS!!! You have to write that kind of stuff in english otherwise your not legaly classified as a research vessel.

I just think these are a bunch of hippie idiots that some how got a big boat and a tv camera crew to follow them around and nothing more. I hope the japanese sink these guys, or somebody atleast. Nobody in the eco comunity likes them, green peace hates them because they arent helping to stop anything in a legal manner and it hurts their efforts. What the japanese are doing is perfectly legal and what sea shepard is doing could legaly be chared as piratcy.

Thoughts?
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Whale Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:32:51 AM »
Nobody likes what the Japanese are doing, but yeah those Sea Shepherd tossers are going to get someone killed - hopefully themselves.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:58:08 AM »
I think these whale types are a bunch of fools. Strange how they find no time in their day to protest the various man on man genocides/disasters and only have time for fish.  Whales are like any other animal resource. Once their numbers have stabilized they should be hunted using scientific methods that ensure the continued survival of the various species.

There are plenty of Minke whales. Why shouldn't they be hunted? People have been eating whales for thousands of years.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:43:12 AM »
I think these whale types are a bunch of fools. Strange how they find no time in their day to protest the various man on man genocides/disasters and only have time for fish.  Whales are like any other animal resource. Once their numbers have stabilized they should be hunted using scientific methods that ensure the continued survival of the various species.

There are plenty of Minke whales. Why shouldn't they be hunted? People have been eating whales for thousands of years.

I've been watching this series on Demand and i can't help but to laugh when i shouldn't.  The self righteous jerk of a captain should have his license revoked and the officers tried for piracy.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »
I luv this show :rock

Got every episode so far on Dvr
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »
Typical earth muffins.  The "cause" justifies any rediculous behavior.
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:57:45 AM »
Some whales are in danger, but others are available in huge quantities.
I come from a whaling nation, and I do eat them  :devil
However, we try to stay away from those with their numbers down. But for no use, idiots like sea shepheard scream out loud anyway.
The boss, Paul Watson, is one opportunitist, knighting himself with his holy crusade.
However if he shows up here in Iceland, he goes straight to jail.
The only organized sabotage/terrorist act ever to happen here is when his men sank two ships at anchor and sabotaged a processing plant.
It had no effect on the whaling, the country exited the international whaling committee, decided itself to stop, then started whaling again(very small numbers) a couple of years ago.
BTW, the biggest were the Russians as well as the Japanese. AFAIK, most dead whales are small whales as a co-catch in the USA (sheer numbers), but the biggest tonnage is Japan and/or Russsia.
Needless to say, neither Greenpeace or Sea Shepheard take a pass at the Russians...guess why  :rofl
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
I think these whale types are a bunch of fools. Strange how they find no time in their day to protest the various man on man genocides/disasters and only have time for fish. 

Whales are not "fish"...they're Mammals.  ;)

Whales are like any other animal resource. Once their numbers have stabilized they should be hunted using scientific methods that ensure the continued survival of the various species.

Hunting "using scientific methods" is not going to guarantee the survival of any species...there will always be a "scientific group of idiots" that will make the incorrect decision on how to manage the species in question.  The vast majority of decisions made by the aforementioned scientific groups are most often influenced by greed/monetary gain.  :(

Mother Nature, on the other hand has no use for "monetary gain", and therefore is the best method of natural management.    :)

You're correct, people have been eating Whales for quite some time, however, hunting Whales with Whaling ships, either present or past was strictly "for profit"...not for survival.

As far as the "topic" is concerned...it's a "for profit program", BUT it also puts Whale hunting in a less than favorable light.

my $.02

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
I've only seen a couple of shows but so far im not impressedd.
I'm no sailor but even I know the chain of command!. I think it was last weeks episode where 3 of the morons took off just before dark in a zodiac in rough seas to attack the japanese, at the same time the mother ship was headed to a rendezvous to pick up 2 other morons who got capture. long story short, they loose comunication with the zodiac, were late to the pick-up the capt was sleeping AND the crew were arguing about what to do!!! :O

luckily for them nobody got killed but they really could have lost the guys in the zodiac  :uhoh

they look like fools and dont have their collective pooh together
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »
I watched the end of an episode last night, here is what I got:

They got their boat rammed by the Japanese, they said the Japanese were the BAD guys because they had just made sure the Japanese lost a full day's pay... They then get MAD at the Japanese because the Japanese want to throw their guys overboard or turn them in, something like that, and then they get them back....

That's 'bout as lame as it gets....  :rolleyes:
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
I always find myself hoping the japanese win, go figure.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »

Mother Nature, on the other hand has no use for "monetary gain", and therefore is the best method of natural management.    :)

Well, you realize of course that "man" is one component of "Mother Nature".  We're not observers here on earth, we're active participants.  To sit back and not touch the environment is neither possible nor "natural".

What other portion of "Mother Nature" doesn't influence the eco-system in its own way?

In other words- Man, as part of nature, is therefore part of the best method of natural management.  ;)
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
luckily for them nobody got killed but they really could have lost the guys in the zodiac  :uhoh
You mean Unfortainatley  :aok, but yah, i watched this episode, they forgot to do a radio check first, which is essential, and took off, but the even funnier part is they were using a line of sight hand held radio that only has like 5 miles range, and they took off to go after something on the horrizon. so they lost communitcations but sdadly made it back. So to prevent this from ever happening again they decided to start using satilte phones. well two episodes later they were settin an ambush and the dingy forgot the sattilite phone...tards
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »
I just can't stand them. My mom and Sister LOVE the show, but these people are just plain dumb. Remember the episode where they illegaly boarded the Japanese ship, and expected the Japanese to just allow them on!?? No surprise to me that they would try to throw them off. My favorite part of that episode is when the Captain said that the Japanese have kidnapped their crew.  :rofl Isn't kidnapping when THEY come and, well, KIDNAP? Not put your crew on their boat and call it kidnapping?? :lol They just highly underestimate the Japanese, and have no idea what they are doing. Their Captain said that he likes to think about it as a "war strategy" situation, or something like that...I would NOT eant to be under his command if he was in the military!

Anyone else notice a little part in the episode wear they show a TV with the clip of them illegaly boarding the ship and a sign below it saying "DO NOT USE!" ?? How about when they throw tear gas on the Japanese boat thinking they won't be able to handle the smell? If the Japanese can handle days of bombardment in WWII, TWO atomic bombs, and all those years of keeping their Empire standing don't ya think they can handle a foul smell??  :rofl

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Well, you realize of course that "man" is one component of "Mother Nature".  We're not observers here on earth, we're active participants.  To sit back and not touch the environment is neither possible nor "natural".

Disagree..it's possible to not touch the environment.."nature" was on a roll long before "man" arrived, and will continue to be on a "roll" long after we ("piss-ants") disappear from this rock. FYI, I view "man" as subservient to Nature, ie, upset Nature and you WILL "pay the piper" as it were.

One of the blaring problems  throughout the history of man is there hasn't been enough observation BEFORE participating...look around, the evidence is overwhelming.  :furious

What other portion of "Mother Nature" doesn't influence the eco-system in its own way?

In other words- Man, as part of nature, is therefore part of the best method of natural management.  ;)

See above  :D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:34:28 PM by dentin »
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"