Author Topic: Internet Explorer Crashes on Closing  (Read 669 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Internet Explorer Crashes on Closing
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:45 AM »
This is a weird problem that just started about an hour ago. Anytime I try to close internet explorer, it crashes, and I get the following error:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   iexplore.exe
  Application Version:   7.0.6000.16757
  Application Timestamp:   48e4238e
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_8d13
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   01f80fb0
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   8d13
  Additional Information 2:   cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34 311
  Additional Information 3:   8d13
  Additional Information 4:   cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34 31

Does anyone know whats going on and what I can do about it?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Internet Explorer Crashes on Closing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 03:10:46 AM »

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:45:20 AM »
Best guess, a plugin causing it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »
Best guess, a plugin causing it.

Can you tell which? I havn't downloaded any plugins lately...

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:20:35 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

This brings up a new issue. Whenever I click on the download link for firefox, IE Explorer crashes.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
Alright, I managed to get around clicking the download link and just got firefox. I dont like it so far :(

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
Firefox is woot woot awesome
See Rule #6

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
Alright, I managed to get around clicking the download link and just got firefox. I dont like it so far :(

Firefox is really the better of the two when it comes to Vista. You can try avoiding the use of tabbed surfing (multiple home pages) and cleaning your cache constantly. When you get tired of that there is Firefox.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »
Actually, you can do two things to IE to avoid the cleanup issues.  Set the cache size to something reasonable, like 20MB.  Then turn on the option to empty temp files when you exit.

I have no issue with Firefox, but I do have a huge issue with Sun's Java stuff.  Once you install it, you cannot remove it, without re-iinstalling the OS.  I had so many problems with their Java stuff effecting so many other applications that use Java, I had to finally bite the bullet and re-install Windows.

I will never go through that again.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 07:03:13 AM »
I've had a problem with IE hanging when closing down several weeks ago, I never did see a error message or any indication of the problem.  The OS is vista.  I stumbled on a temp solution, do a complete shut down of the computer.  I did this several times and no recurrence of the hangup. :devil :t
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
Actually, you can do two things to IE to avoid the cleanup issues.  Set the cache size to something reasonable, like 20MB.  Then turn on the option to empty temp files when you exit.

I have no issue with Firefox, but I do have a huge issue with Sun's Java stuff.  Once you install it, you cannot remove it, without re-iinstalling the OS.  I had so many problems with their Java stuff effecting so many other applications that use Java, I had to finally bite the bullet and re-install Windows.

I will never go through that again.

So if Sun's Java is so bad, what alternatives are out there to use?  I know Microsoft used to have their own version of Java, but I heard they stopped development and just kind of let it disappear.  Who else has versions of Java?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »
Tigger, I do not have an answer for you as I never have bothered to find out.

Here is something Firefox users need to know about.  This is just the beginning.

You will find out why Firefox has been able to weave the perception it is more secure than IE soon.  The truth is, if an application uses the Windows libraries it is just as susceptible to security problems as any other program.

Just be diligent and do not get apathetic about your chances of getting malware/spyware/viruses just because you use another broswer.

The more popular Firefox gets, the more likely it will be exploited.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
Yep, almost the same story with Macintosh. Due to its unpopular status and its use of firmware it was less likely to be infected with malicious programs. Now that Mac has switched to a software base and has boosted advertisement its popularity has risen and the amount of computer crackers playing with Mac has increased.

The short story is as Skuzzy mentioned. Unpopular things are less likely to be exploited.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
Tigger, I do not have an answer for you as I never have bothered to find out.

Here is something Firefox users need to know about.  This is just the beginning.

You will find out why Firefox has been able to weave the perception it is more secure than IE soon.  The truth is, if an application uses the Windows libraries it is just as susceptible to security problems as any other program.

Just be diligent and do not get apathetic about your chances of getting malware/spyware/viruses just because you use another broswer.

The more popular Firefox gets, the more likely it will be exploited.

So, should I get any additional forms of protection beyond Avast! and the routine virus scan?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 11:44:19 PM »
Throwing yourself behind a hardware firewall (IE, a router) is generally a good idea, even if you don't need one for multiple ports/wireless/ect.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.