Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »
I propose insta-bans for people who keep bringing this up.

Or in-game text muting for an hour for pissing and moaning about collisions.

:lol

Make a sticky with Lusche's pictures and be done with it....please....for the love of cod.... please.

:aok

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »
If HTC fixed the collisions to where both were at fault, then that would cause alot more problems.
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »

Ok I see what your saying, the game has a hard time seeing the colision in 3D, thanks for the insight <S>

As stated previously (Ad Nauseum), the "game" doesn't "see" anything.  It is what your computer "sees" and what your opponent's computer sees.
Lusche's screenshots are from 2 films of the same flight.  On the P-51's computer, there is a collision.  On the P-47's computer, the P-51 is 120 feet behind him.  Therefore, the P-51 takes damage and the P-47 does not because, on the P-47's computer, nothing collided with him.  It is latency and delay due to the time it takes for your information and his information to travel back and forth.

Lose UDP and not get booted and -everybody- disappeared from your front end but you are still tooling along just fine on theirs.  Ask me how I know.

Even in the case where there isa collision "seen" by both computers, it doesn't necessarily mean catastrophic damage to both planes.  You may hit him with your propeller (oil damage).  He may hit you with his wing and lose said wing.

I suppose it is unrealistic, in real life, if two cars get in a collision (as seen on both front ends  ;)) and one is totalled and the other is able to drive home.  It is unrealistic that a bird collides with a plane (again, on both front ends) and the plane continues to fly (most of the time) and the bird does not.

The collision model as it is is simple and fair.  I believe a lot of "deaths by collisions" are actually death by getting shot in the face, or getting a wing blown off, but not going "poof" until after you have collided with the other plane.  Or, you just hit the ground before they did.

wrongway
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:54:33 PM by AWwrgwy »
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
A P-51D is slightly over 32ft long.  The P-51D passed about 120ft behind the P-47 on the P-47's system, not 50ft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
I accidentally collided with a zeke in a B-26 in the ava, it was mutual though because both our names popped up in white lettering. Anyway, the zeke flew off and I lost vital flying parts  :eek:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
exactly my point, It seems as though there are a few that have mastered how to do it without any repercussions on the offender part, when I get the message that player A has collided yet I am the one in the tower is ludicrous.

EDIT:
Bronk, using your example, they both should have been towered.  But I would bet that only one did. 

Which view was decided by the computer that "collided" with the other?

THAT is the point. if YOUR computer sees it, you take damage. pretty simple.

now, here's the thing with collisions.
there was a set of ju88's attacking our cv. they were on the deck.....less then 100ft alt. i was flying so low, i was kicking up wakes. first pass, i took the left drone. second pass, i went for the lead. i pulled off target at less then 100 yards. on my screen we missed, albiet barley. i got a white message saying "XXX has collided with you". i took no damage from this. to me we missed. so why should i take damage just because he saw it?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Remember due to latency your opponents aircraft is not where you see him. On his front end he is so many milliseconds ahead of where you see him.

lol. how many threads have you had to explain this in now?
 :aok :rofl :D

i hafta admire your patience.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »
No offense bro, but.......  It's a bad example.  Nose to tail?    What does your nose to nose look like?

Pictures not enough for you? :rofl :rofl

<SALUTE>
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
No offense bro, but.......  It's a bad example.  Nose to tail?    What does your nose to nose look like?
Exactly the same, except the planes are facing the opposite directions and thus closing speeds are higher.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
I'm in a meeting and just burst out laughing reading this.....  :rock
Exactly the same, except the planes are facing the opposite directions and thus closing speeds are higher.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline 832725

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Please make Collisions more realistic, BOTH aircraft no matter who is at fault either by a Hoing, colliding, kamikaze, should share the respective damage and die in disgust equally......  There are just too many Gamey collisions where only one will be damaged the other will be unscathed. 
The Art Of KAMIKAZE!!!!!!!!!! :aok
Major

XO of the 334th FS

Hit'em Good!

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
there was a set of ju88's attacking our cv. they were on the deck.....less then 100ft alt. i was flying so low, i was kicking up wakes. first pass, i took the left drone. second pass, i went for the lead. i pulled off target at less then 100 yards. on my screen we missed, albiet barley. i got a white message saying "XXX has collided with you". i took no damage from this. to me we missed. so why should i take damage just because he saw it?

This is the exact potential noted of someone being able to take advantage of our current collision model since Latency is not a constant and exact difference to each player, Latency differences can be variable from one extreme to another.   

As stated previously (Ad Nauseum), the "game" doesn't "see" anything.  It is what your computer "sees" and what your opponent's computer sees.  Latency.

The problem is latency. The fact that both you and me see things different (as the two pics clearly show) os just a result of the internet. Latency. Signals need time to travel from your computer to mine. When my computer gets the message from yours "I'm at position XYZ", time has already passed and we both have moved on in the mean time. Hence the difference between our two Front Ends as shown above

As explained it isnt perfect, but it can, and is being gamed to anothers advantage as also stated.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:13:22 AM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
No it can't.
See Rule #4

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
As stated previously (Ad Nauseum), the "game" doesn't "see" anything.  It is what your computer "sees" and what your opponent's computer sees.  Latency.

Had you bothered to read what he typed, you would have noted that he didn't say anything about the "game" seeing things...he said his and the other guy's computers.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »

As explained it isnt perfect, but it can, and is being gamed to anothers advantage as also stated.

It can't because there is no way to know what someone else sees on their screen. 

Basically if your trying to make someone collide with you, all your doing is making it easier for them to shoot you down, or risking a collision on your end, EVEN IN A HEAD ON.

"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone