Author Topic: Time for a new Furball Arena  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Re: Time for a new Furball Arena
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
The only changes they should make is to remove the kill messages you get when landing... The messages make the Furball area the worst that AH has to offer.

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »
i read most of the posts and yet i am completely lost ? :huh
 so some want to move the lake out of the DA?
 why ? it doesn't effect the other parts of the DA!

Absolutely correct Whiskey.  The main reason for moving the Furball out of DA is because it is no longer used as a dueling area.  I appreciate that it used to be different, but with the closing of H2H, the majority of furballers have moved here to furball with furball "rules" or lack thereof.  Some of us like the unstructured environment.  I don't really understand why some think the MA's are better somehow than the Furball.  We are all just gamers here to have some escape from the real world for a time.  Not everyone wants or needs to escape in the same way....but I digress.  Moving the Furballing area out of the DA would change the perception of what is to occur in the area and would reduce the associated whining...that is the main rationale behind my request.

if two players want to go head to head they can move to another Field,without leaving the arena!

I agree...and many do.  We hold squad duels in the canyons regularly.

i used to go to the DA before there was a lake, it was very hard to find anyone to fight, so the arena sat dead most of the time,
 now there are plenty of players there to shoot at, just call someone out, go to one of the other Fields and rock and roll,

It sat dead until many of us H2H players moved from the MAs to the furball area.  Then, I guess the word got out that some fun fights could be had without flying for 10 minutes and voila!, what we have today was born.

my squad goes there at least once a week, to work on ACM, and no one bothers us,
if they do, we just ask them to go back to the lake,
usually because we are doing squad ops, they always say OK and thanks or sorry,
 sometimes while i am waiting on the rest of my buds i fly out over the lake and do a little hunting!
i don,t see any difference, in what they do there and what happens in the MA except that all three sides are fighting!
the pickers come and pick, the turners are turn fighting hard, and someone is always on 200 whining about something!

Exactly my point....it is no different than the MA...you just get there quicker.  It is not inferior to the MA as many MAers think.

I guess i miss the 262's tho, i really think they were just the top of the food chain,
 when you got rid of them you just made the Tiffi's top dog,
once there gone then what? the ponies, the hogs?spits
then the p-38?
soon we will be fighting hot air balloons, and someone will be on 200 whining,"HO TARD"or "PICKER GO HOME"

The 262 was the only non-prop fighter in the DA.  It could be flown at other fields but could not be selected in the furball area.  Enterprising pilots would up one at a dueling field and fly it over the mountains into the furball area which was deemed unfair by HTC after many complaints, thus it was banned in the whole DA.  I would have prefered highere mountains around furball lake myself.

Thanks for your thoughful insight Whisky. 
"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
I agree here Moot...

Classic example was a few day ago when I logged on to rooks. I noticed a group of green right near our base composed of  mostly TAAF's. Every now and then a red would fly close and I have seen bees that didnt swarm as bad. A dozen or so reds are scattered over the entire furball lake and they are ganging one guy. On top of that they were in F4U-4s, F4U-1Cs, Spit IVXs, and a Tempest or two even. Then 5 or 6 of them land 3-4 kills each and think they are all that. Anyone of them is an easy kill if met in a equal situation and most are easy even at a disadvantage. I was fighting Spacy this morning only to get face shot even tho he knew I wouldnt take it. I asked why and was greeted with it was a deflection shot get over it. Sure it might have been high deflection but I had a good shot as well that I didnt take. So to see this and realize his part in one of the main squads that condone this behaivor is laughable. I wasnt around for H2H but I sure hope it comes back soon.....

Steel

You talk like none of this ever happens in the MAs.  Do you really think none of us have ever flown there, or that we can't fly there for some reason?  LOL  You can't tell me that you've never been picked, HOd or ganged in the MAs!!??!!  What is with the holier-than-thou attitude of the primarily MA pilots who come to the DA?  What you didn't say is that I said you could take your best shot...I don't care if I'm HOd, picked or ganged.  It happens, I don't like it, but I deal with it and IT'S PART OF THE GAME......Listen carefully, anyone who plays this game or is thinking of playing this game, no matter what anyone says here or in the arenas...HOing, picking and ganging will NEVER cease....it IS part of the game.  If you don't want it to happen the get HTC to program the ability to do it out of the game.

I will agree with Steel on this...I hope H2H or what we are proposing will come back soon, too.  Then the whiners will know exactly what to expect when they enter the furball arena.

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »
Hey, good point.. I play there often mostly for practice...I have another good idea...Get rid of the f-3 mode..Not because it effects me ,or that I think they get an advantage...I think 90% of the folks over there never make it to the MA because of it..I think when a new guy plays there for three months in f-3 mode it ruins there ability to compete in the MA...Then they get burnt on just the furball and ultimately quite the game...Just my opinion  :salute

I don't care if there is F3 mode or not, as long as it is the same for everyone.  Why is there an assumption all players should be able to compete in the MA mode?  Just a retorical question.  The DA is now the 2nd or 3rd busiest arena in AHII with most of that business in the furball area.  The fuballers should be given their own arena.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
Does anybody else know what 6'3" 210 looks like?      :rofl

SKINNY! SKINNY! SKINNY!

I'm only 6ft, 220 and don't look big at all. 

I wish....I'm 6'3" 225lbs......I'll just say I don't look small  :lol
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
I don't care if there is F3 mode or not, as long as it is the same for everyone.  Why is there an assumption all players should be able to compete in the MA mode?  Just a retorical question.  The DA is now the 2nd or 3rd busiest arena in AHII with most of that business in the furball area.  The fuballers should be given their own arena.

Is there some reason your squad can't compete in the MAs that are set up for what you are looking for?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2008, 09:14:54 PM »
Is there some reason your squad can't compete in the MAs that are set up for what you are looking for?

well guppy... look at it this way....  how far apart are the furball lake bases.. 10mi give or take? bombs don't do anything except create pretty graphics to choke lower end compueters... buffs can't easily be brought in.... bases can't be taken... i'm fairly sure radar can't be porked and it has MA settings...

sounds like all the old-furballers were listened to and given a token nod by HTC...  Furball Lake *is* FighterTown, with all that implies.  Are there good fights to be found, of a wide variety?  Sure - if those involved make an effort... are there plenty of dweeb/noobs... dwoobz?  You betcha, just like in FT...

Furball Lake is what the players make it... the "vets" in here bemoaning something that never truly existed except in their idealized versions should come in and help mold furball lake into soemthing they deem more "acceptable."

I just wish the bases were a wee bit further apart to give more room to those who don't want to get sucked into the grinder - that and some direction would make furball lake better, no?  and keeping any sort of ranking disassociated with the arena.  stats, sure...

Honest to cod... you (generic) MA snobs, especially you "here for the fight" jocks,  are missing a golden opportunity right under your collective noses. Me?  I'll be in FurBlake doing my part to try and show them it can be better as well, be it hunting down "perk and pick" weenies, staying off to the side and going 1 v 1,  1 v 2 or 2 v 2, or mixing it up in the grinder.

DA skwadz? Or more specifically, FurBlake skwadz?  <shrug>  so? what's the big deal? they have just as much right as any MA skwad in organizing for their collective circle jerks.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »
well guppy... look at it this way....  how far apart are the furball lake bases.. 10mi give or take? bombs don't do anything except create pretty graphics to choke lower end compueters... buffs can't easily be brought in.... bases can't be taken... i'm fairly sure radar can't be porked and it has MA settings...

sounds like all the old-furballers were listened to and given a token nod by HTC...  Furball Lake *is* FighterTown, with all that implies.  Are there good fights to be found, of a wide variety?  Sure - if those involved make an effort... are there plenty of dweeb/noobs... dwoobz?  You betcha, just like in FT...

Furball Lake is what the players make it... the "vets" in here bemoaning something that never truly existed except in their idealized versions should come in and help mold furball lake into soemthing they deem more "acceptable."

I just wish the bases were a wee bit further apart to give more room to those who don't want to get sucked into the grinder - that and some direction would make furball lake better, no?  and keeping any sort of ranking disassociated with the arena.  stats, sure...

Honest to cod... you (generic) MA snobs, especially you "here for the fight" jocks,  are missing a golden opportunity right under your collective noses. Me?  I'll be in FurBlake doing my part to try and show them it can be better as well, be it hunting down "perk and pick" weenies, staying off to the side and going 1 v 1,  1 v 2 or 2 v 2, or mixing it up in the grinder.

DA skwadz? Or more specifically, FurBlake skwadz?  <shrug>  so? what's the big deal? they have just as much right as any MA skwad in organizing for their collective circle jerks.

Not my point shane :)

The issues seems to be stats, rank and such.  If that's important then go fly the MA.  If the DA Furball lake is where you want to fight, go for it.  I don't care.  Nothing is stopping the fight in any way shape or form.  I'd lose score, ranking etc in all the arenas if I could.  I think it would improve the fights as folks wouldn't worry about dying so much then.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

MAs are NOT set up for what we are looking for.  Most of us simply want to fly fighters and dogfight or furball.  We are not interested in anything else the MAs have to offer.  Those of us in the squad that do want to fly MAs are welcome to.  We have actually organized a squad bomb run to take a base and have flown with other squads in the MA from time to time.  I've got film to prove it.  We have some members of the squad that fly MA primarily.  No problem for us.  Our main criteria is to have fun.  We are not trying to relive WWII.

You seem to be confusing ranking with statistics.  We are not interested in rankings.  Some of our members would just like to see how they do statitically with different planes and to compare improvement over time.  Its not too much to ask HT to reset the arena stats each month like they do the rest of the arenas.

Offline Spacy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »

AMEN Shane!  As for the staying off to the side...there are times when I have met someone over the fields in the furball area.  If each player asks their own side to stay out or posts a request on 200 channel, that is usually honored.  As far as spreading out the bases more, I could support that as the numbers flying the lake now have made it pretty crowed.  A little more maneuvering room would be nice.  That also could be provided in a separate arena with mountains, lakes and canyons for furballing only.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2008, 10:42:03 PM »
Not my point shane :)

The issues seems to be stats, rank and such. 

i agree with no rankings...  but stats....  so?  no harm in stats. you already see them, sort of, on your DA "scorecard"  be nice to breakout on the score/stats pages....

FurBlake *is* a mini-arena within the larger "Dueling Arena" (and imho, not worth breaking out into its own arena) just without the landgrab/terrain aspects.  The #'s I see put the AvA, MW and EW arenas to shame, usually. To each their own, yanno?

so what's the harm in stats?  they're paying customers, too.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »

i agree 100% with twin booms assesment. get rid of the external
 views and periodically add a new map.no way to eliminate the gang
 banging that goes on.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »
You talk like none of this ever happens in the MAs.  Do you really think none of us have ever flown there, or that we can't fly there for some reason?  LOL  You can't tell me that you've never been picked, HOd or ganged in the MAs!!??!!  What is with the holier-than-thou attitude of the primarily MA pilots who come to the DA? 
Because that's what the DA used to be like. It only seems impossible to you because you havent seen it with your own eyes and would rather deny it for your agenda.

Shane - Who's the snob here? I was playing as much H2H as main arenas up to 2004. The DA lake was nothing like the mess it is today. H2H is where you found the FFA/team moshpits like the lake is today.  The DA was given 'respect' because it was a paying arena.  There's absolutely no denying this.

And a number of us do help out at the lake. Scotch and Agent and I do it at least every other time we're in there.. From as little as answering questions or pointing out how to raise gear, to taking up some noobs for a ride so they see how to do something.
Even if we didnt.. The DA lake sucks compared to what it used to be. You dont need to be Einstein or a white knight in shining armor to correctly point that out. That's not to say the fights ought to happen a certain way or return to exactly what they were.. Just that they suck, and in good part due to a lot of players who do know better (and here you could argue that regulars like TAAF have certainly been in there long enough for 'vet' status as far as the DA is concerned, and thus ALSO bear at least as much responsibility for what state it's in) but perpetuate the lame habits in there..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:05:13 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »

the da has simply outgrown itself. 

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com