Author Topic: OLED Monitors  (Read 112 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
OLED Monitors
« on: Yesterday at 04:26:21 PM »
Looking at getting an Alienware 34" 2k Curved OLED display or stay with 27" and go MSI 2K OLED.. Does the game work well in a widescreen resolution? They are both the same price ..Thoughts and recommendation?  Thnx)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:30:15 PM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Re: OLED Monitors
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:29:24 PM »
And any thoughts on curved monitoers in a flight sim helpfull too.. :airplane:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:53:27 PM »
I have a 32" curved monitor.  I feel like it might be a tad bit more immersive or something along that effect.  I will say that sometimes the graphics look pixelated to me, and I wonder if it's the screen size.  I know of at least one player that has a 42" curved that you can actually adjust the curve on, and he likes it so far.  I like mine a lot, and the curve is hardly noticeable.  I will look later to see what specific one I have.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:23:24 PM »
That Alienware is a nicer model than the MSI. The 21:9 aspect ratio is nice because it matches very close to the human eye's detail vision field. It almost completely fills what you perceive as directly in front of you.

RE: OLED, keep in mind that all OLED screens are prone to burn-in and most manufacturers address it by limiting brightness; so, if you're used to blindingly-bright LED brightness, OLED isn't the way to go. It's bright, just not super bright. Otherwise, they're great. You do need to take care to shut them off or otherwise have anti-burn-in protection enabled (like auto-off or screensavers), otherwise you risk burning it.

I'm currently running a Corsair Xeneon Flex 45"
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/monitors/cm-9030001-na/corsair-xeneon-flex-45wqhd240-45-inch-oled-3440-x1440-240hz-refresh-rate-bendable-gaming-monitor-cm-9030001-na

I've tried it with and without the curve. So far, I prefer the flat view I think, but the curve isn't bad.

I like the larger size. It's much more immersive than the 27" I was using previously.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:31:28 AM »
32" curve was nice but vr is much better imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:06:44 AM »
I have a 37" curved monitor, very happy with it.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:24:41 AM »
Wide screen is nice and perfect for driving sims but for flying the aspect ratio is too narrow vertically. The useful part of your view may be noticeably better with the standard aspect ratio of the 27" monitor. Compare the vertical size rather than the diagonal.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:30:10 AM by FLS »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:41:16 PM »
I have 2 OLED Sirloin, one of which is the Alienware 34", the other their 32".  The 32" is 4k, the 34" is 2k.

One very important thing to take note of regarding the 34" Alienwares - they make 2, one is Freesync 165hz, the other is Gsync 175hz.  The typically less expensive Freesync version has a "glossy" screen, and looks far superior to the non glossy Gsync IMO.  Which is why I went with the Freesync version instead, despite wanting Gsync instead of Freesync.  They frequently go on sale, mine was $999 CAD from the Dell store in Canada.

I had the previous 34" Alienware non OLED monitor, it was excellent and served a long time, and also ran the LG 27" 4k 144hz Gsync with that as a secondary.  I much, much prefer the OLED 34/32" setup I have right now.

No burn in issues so far either.   Pixel refresh - just be sure to let it do it while in standby mode.  Typically after 4 or 5 hours it'll need a refresh and it takes 5 minutes or so.  You can also do a full panel refresh that takes on hour or so, and every 20 hours use they recommend doing that.  You can set it up in the monitor controls so it doesn't surprise you with an automatic refresh and interrupt what you're doing, just make certain you do the refreshes manually when you're done using the PC and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:49:05 PM by Gman »