Author Topic: poor ava  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: poor ava
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »
Shifty, Man you really need to get a clue on whats been going on in the AvA lately. You must participate in the arena to see who has been in there in the last month and who was in there on Christmas Eve. All regulars. Thats what made is such an odd evening. I know you had a past in here, but all I know is what I have seen since Ive been participating. Not under anyones wing or in a "Flock", just enjoy flying with the AvA community.

Seems like many throw rocks in a house of glass.

You're correct on this point Tyrant.
It may very well be a different place now.
I do admit I am basing my opinions on the past experiance.
That past is based on years though so it's very hard for me to imagine anything different.
So I do freely admit I don't what's going on right now in the AVA.
Point taken. :aok

Thanks.

<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
The only threads that make 6 pages on this forum are the drama filled ones, not the constructive ones
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
Sheesh the pounding you take when you dare to question the sacred cow.

Ooohhhh, that burns!  "Cow," OK, I can accept that, but "sacred" is really kind of mean...

I hope this is the last post of this thread.  I would like it to be, at least.

First, foremost, and far most important, the AvA is not run by yours truly.  There's a whole group of us, headed by Fork.  At different times some of us appear more frequently than others; you'll remember that Fork and Soda carried most of the first part of the year with The War setups, TheBug ran the arena for a couple of months after that, and Slash and Duke have controlled most of the admin matter all along.  As Duke points out, right now the planets are aligned in such a way that most of the staff members have real life issues which prevent them from participating as much as they did earlier in the year.  They will be back as things shake out for them.  Of all the staff members, I am probably the only one who was initially elected as an assistant, and my sorcerer's skills remain far below those of the rest.  That's one of the reasons why my setups tend to be more...er..."traditional," rather than imaginative.  Things will get better as times go by.

Second, even an imbecile would not risk a friendship over a game.  Shifty and I go way back; I have always valued his opinions.  Probably because of this I lost my temper and came out with the "some people can't be pleased" comment, which I regret and for which I apologize.  Shifty and I disagree on various details of what we consider to be the perfect AvA; possibly we always will.  We can still get along here.

Third, one of the things that contributes to a robust arena is public participation.  Otherwise I'd have to agree with Shifty that we'll have an arena that satisfies a small handful of people, and which is avoided by everyone else.  If you think something's wrong with a setup, say so.  If you have a notion of your own - as many of you do - post it here so we can put it up in the future.

Fourth, Duke is wrong (yes, it happens) when he says that anyone can be a staffer.  HTC controls that, and we have found that HTC will not necessarily approve people who are recommended by the staff.  If you want to be a staffer, let us know, but much as we wish we could, we can't just bring you on board.  (There is mild tragedy in this, as I expect a number of us would love to be replaced.)

Finally, I really appreciate all the nice comments people have made.  Thank you very much.

Look forward to seeing you all try Soda's new setup for the week.

- oldman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »

Fourth, Duke is wrong (yes, it happens) when he says that anyone can be a staffer.  HTC controls that, and we have found that HTC will not necessarily approve people who are recommended by the staff.  If you want to be a staffer, let us know, but much as we wish we could, we can't just bring you on board.  (There is mild tragedy in this, as I expect a number of us would love to be replaced.)

- oldman

That's funny. Every time I emailed Skuzzy asking to be a AvA staff member he said HTC has nothing to do with that. The only people that have any saying about new SEA or AvA staff members are the staff themselves.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
That's funny. Every time I emailed Skuzzy asking to be a AvA staff member he said HTC has nothing to do with that. The only people that have any saying about new SEA or AvA staff members are the staff themselves.
"You weak minded fool . . . he is using an old Jedi mind trick!"
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »
With respect to all the staff, I do wish the entire staff would spend some more time in the AvA.  Maybe I'm missing it, but I've really only seen Oldman on with any regularity.  Trust me, as a father, holding a full time plus overtime job, with a small bit of land to take care of...you don't have to say it, I fully understand life comes first, ALWAYS.  If it doesn't, you need to be committed lol.

However, I do feel there are some who fly in the AvA regularly who have the free time and dedication to really help the AvA.  Maybe it would be a good time to add a staffer, give someone a trial for a few months, or if what Oldman says is true, replace a staffer who's gotten tired of the responsibility.  Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't want the responsibility, your danged if you do danged if you don't.  :)
P-47 pilot

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2008, 01:35:15 PM »
However, I do feel there are some who fly in the AvA regularly who have the free time and dedication to really help the AvA.  Maybe it would be a good time to add a staffer, give someone a trial for a few months, or if what Oldman says is true, replace a staffer who's gotten tired of the responsibility.  Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't want the responsibility, your danged if you do danged if you don't.  :)

Only a handful of people have asked to be on the Staff over the last few years. I have repeatedly pointed out that we need more help to my fellow Staffers who all agree. Very few have been turned down for the job in the close to 5 years I've been on the so if you are intrested Republic, shoot me a PM and we will talk. That goes for any of the rest of you too. I don't know how many we need to add but it sure seems to me 2-3 more dedicated AvA types sure could not hurt. Kick it around and get back to me.

You were on and you quit. If you want to rehash all of the old bs again, fine with me. When you are ready to put all that in the past and move on, you know how to find me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:51:53 PM by Slash27 »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
Ooohhhh, that burns!  "Cow," OK, I can accept that, but "sacred" is really kind of mean...

I hope this is the last post of this thread.  I would like it to be, at least.

First, foremost, and far most important, the AvA is not run by yours truly.  There's a whole group of us, headed by Fork.  At different times some of us appear more frequently than others; you'll remember that Fork and Soda carried most of the first part of the year with The War setups, TheBug ran the arena for a couple of months after that, and Slash and Duke have controlled most of the admin matter all along.  As Duke points out, right now the planets are aligned in such a way that most of the staff members have real life issues which prevent them from participating as much as they did earlier in the year.  They will be back as things shake out for them.  Of all the staff members, I am probably the only one who was initially elected as an assistant, and my sorcerer's skills remain far below those of the rest.  That's one of the reasons why my setups tend to be more...er..."traditional," rather than imaginative.  Things will get better as times go by.

Second, even an imbecile would not risk a friendship over a game.  Shifty and I go way back; I have always valued his opinions.  Probably because of this I lost my temper and came out with the "some people can't be pleased" comment, which I regret and for which I apologize.  Shifty and I disagree on various details of what we consider to be the perfect AvA; possibly we always will.  We can still get along here.

Third, one of the things that contributes to a robust arena is public participation.  Otherwise I'd have to agree with Shifty that we'll have an arena that satisfies a small handful of people, and which is avoided by everyone else.  If you think something's wrong with a setup, say so.  If you have a notion of your own - as many of you do - post it here so we can put it up in the future.

Finally, I really appreciate all the nice comments people have made.  Thank you very much.

Look forward to seeing you all try Soda's new setup for the week.

- oldman
Okay Sacred Bull then. ;)

Thanks for the response both in this thread and the PMs Oldman.
I appreciate you listening.

I don't think you're the one that needs to apologize though, so I hope you'll accept mine.

<S>

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
That's what I'm tak'in bout. Were having a John Wayne moment here. Play fair and shoot straight, got to love it.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
You were on and you quit. If you want to rehash all of the old bs again, fine with me. When you are ready to put all that in the past and move on, you know how to find me.

I was talking about when I asked skuzzy last year and he said it was up to you guys. Last time I asked fork he said it was up to skuzzy. I think I was just getting the run around back then because or how I have/was acting.

I'm not trying to start any crap, but I haven't been acting up in the last few months. I would like to be a staff member and as you can see with my Wednesday/Thursday night missions I'm trying to get more people in the arena, and its working pretty good. I know the arena settings like the back of my hand, and an okay on my WWII history.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »
I was talking about when I asked skuzzy last year and he said it was up to you guys. Last time I asked fork he said it was up to skuzzy. I think I was just getting the run around back then because or how I have/was acting.

I'm not trying to start any crap, but I haven't been acting up in the last few months. I would like to be a staff member and as you can see with my Wednesday/Thursday night missions I'm trying to get more people in the arena, and its working pretty good. I know the arena settings like the back of my hand, and an okay on my WWII history.

Your dedication to the AvA does not go un-noticed and doing things like your missions can keep this arena alive. I'm all for getting a fresh start for the AvA in the new year so shoot me a PM and lets chat.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
Noting personal against larry in R/L.. but giving him the keys to the AvA just because he hasn't "acted" up... I could probably easily wind him up....  he'd not hesitate to retaliate with staff powers.

I haven't been in the arena nor this board (and was hoping not to), nor any plans to any time soon exactly because a staffer did this.  The AvA is an arena just like any other.  If it were merely arena settings (up) powers.. then... not too much of a problem with that.

It might be an uphill battle tho', because of JG54's history/reputation. I can't see Larry being impartial. I might be wrong.

Anyway, I'm gone from it, so.... whatever.

I sure hope the AvA does make headway of some sort - I was there from the beginning and see so much potential (and I'm far from a die-hard historical-only type of player.)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:06:47 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »
Iv been a staff member before Shane and quit. When I was I only muted one guy that was talking about how he had "F'ed VWE's mother" after I told him and VWE to knock it off. If I became one again I wouldn't play any favorites. If you mouthed off on 200 bad enough Id treat you just like any other staff member would treat you. I don't take anything you or anyone says personal unless you make it personal, and I sure as hell wouldn't do anything to jeopardize staff membership.

The perdy blue text would come in handy when getting the mission organized to. :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:21:20 PM by Larry »
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2008, 05:37:54 PM »
Then by all means I hope they give you due and proper consideration. And if chosen, that you'll do the best you can.

The AvA is an interesting little subculture of HTC.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »
I too hope they give you due and proper consideration. Then I hope they vote no. It's nothing personal TK.
I just don't think you're impartial enough, plus your coming off PNGs from the board and the game.
In my opinion more than a couple of months of good behavior should be required before handing you the keys.

It's true you've run missions lately and taken on a leadership role, that's comendable.
I've also seen you pull stunts and be disruptive in the arena. Personally I don't trust you to be a fair
staff member. I don't have a vote so it's not up to me and I  seriously do wish you luck.
If you get selected I hope you prove me wrong.
I'm not trying to offend you TK. I'm just being honest.
<S>