Author Topic: 5 Inchers  (Read 1179 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
5 Inchers
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
Now im sure all of you hate to be killed by a 5 incher when you are fighting, so do I. Why do we have 5 inchers for CV defense this is just a poor excuse of killing people that can see the CV. Some people sit there for 4 hours and shell away and camp the runways. I think that the accuary should be damped and the damage on the 5 inchers to avoid the "In 11k and 9k from the CV and in one hit im dead cause of that stupid 5 incher".
Strokes

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: 5 Inchers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about 5 inchers is that I can't get close enough for a torpedo attack.  Should a proximity fused shell be effective against an inbound attacker that is on the deck over the water?  That is to say, the shell spends its entire flight path in close proximity to the water...

It's much easier to attack the cv by divebombing, and easier still to level bomb it if it's not undertaking evasives.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:07:11 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
Now im sure all of you hate to be killed by a 5 incher when you are fighting, so do I. Why do we have 5 inchers for CV defense this is just a poor excuse of killing people that can see the CV. Some people sit there for 4 hours and shell away and camp the runways. I think that the accuary should be damped and the damage on the 5 inchers to avoid the "In 11k and 9k from the CV and in one hit im dead cause of that stupid 5 incher".
Well in part this game is based off historical accuracy so hence the 5" guns with proximity fuses. Watch the Kamikaze attack films most where cut down long before reaching the ships. Also the ships in the game are based off US naval fleet towards the end of the war these ships where just bristling with guns. Key is to come up with a strategy to sink them & this takes patients to perform unless your going to be a Lanstuka. A strategy I am not very fond of.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
Well in part this game is based off historical accuracy so hence the 5" guns with proximity fuses. Watch the Kamikaze attack films most where cut down long before reaching the ships. Also the ships in the game are based off US naval fleet towards the end of the war these ships where just bristling with guns. Key is to come up with a strategy to sink them & this takes patients to perform unless your going to be a Lanstuka. A strategy I am not very fond of.
I think he means during fighter sorties.... like, furballing, y'know.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
Why do we have 5 inchers for CV defense this is just a poor excuse of killing people that can see the CV.

Because of people like me that pass over and sink it at 8K in B26's. Too easy unless someone is proficient in the guns, or CV has a good defense cap.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
Come at 20K.
Drop 2 ship lengths in front.
Bye bye CV.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54:35 PM »
The only thing that bothers me about 5 inchers is that I can't get close enough for a torpedo attack.  Should a proximity fused shell be effective against an inbound attacker that is on the deck over the water?  That is to say, the shell spends its entire flight path in close proximity to the water...

It's much easier to attack the cv by divebombing, and easier still to level bomb it if it's not undertaking evasives.

Torpedo planes were slow and lumbering as it was, and to make an effective torpedo attack required making that slow and lumbering plane even SLOWER and flying a nice, steady, level course. It's a big reason why the US Navy largely abandoned torpedo attacks as the war progressed and turned more to glide and dive-bombing.

So yeah, torpedo attacks by one or two aircraft SHOULD be suicidal. And the key to what you're saying about level bombing is the part about not taking evasive action. The majority of the players driving boats in this game make the captain of the Exxon Valdez look competent in comparison. Drives me crazy watching guys drive the boat straight into shore batteries and whine if you turn the boat to dodge torpedoes or high-altitude buffs because they can't takeoff or land (I've said it before and will say it again: Task groups should not be allowed any closer than 25 miles from an enemy base).

What I'd like to see is the CV auto-guns and puffy ack fixed so they don't all fire on the same target. One sacrificial lamb goes in and draws all the return fire while his bodies dive in after and drop their eggs unmolested.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »
Auto-puffy should be fish and egg-seeking. Manned 5 inchers should be modeled after time-fuzed projectiles instead of the proximity fuses, thus harder to use against fighters...unless they come near a plane with fish or eggs on-board. Then the proximity fuzing would magically kick back in.  :D There...the puffy does its job AND doesn't annoy the crap out of furballers so much they BECOME CV hunters. Simple solution.  :aok
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »
The things that get you at 11k arent manned guns, im pretty sure that AI ack. I hate getting killed by 5 inchers just ask much as the next guy but I know people,acouple of them sqauddies, who have some of their most fun sitting in those 5 inchers pinging planes left and right so I think personally they should stay.

ps I like that cv arent dieing as easy anymore, nice ship upgrade HTC :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »
Make all 5'' manned, i.e. no puffy auto acks  :aok

Auto acks are most frustrating for furballers, not manned 5''
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »
Huh.... no 5''s to protect the CV, everyone kills it. SO, in exchange for no CV protection so you can kill the enemies? Next, you'll only ask for them to be on your CV :lol
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »
Guys, why is it so hard to figure out?

1. Guys furballing with CV planes don't like to get shot down by 5 inchers.

Problem: Puffy ack, especially the AI, seems to target fighters as much as bombers if not more so.

2. Guys furballing off a CV don't like to have it sunk.

Problem: Puffy ack, especially the AI, seems to target fighters as much as bombers if not more so.

Primary Solution: Make all AI puffy ack "ordinance seeking."

Secondary Solution: What I said about making man five-inch guns time-fuzed, except they should pass close by a torpedo or bomb carrying craft, at which point they will go off.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 03:00:52 AM »
The things that get you at 11k arent manned guns, im pretty sure that AI ack. I hate getting killed by 5 inchers just ask much as the next guy but I know people,acouple of them sqauddies, who have some of their most fun sitting in those 5 inchers pinging planes left and right so I think personally they should stay.

ps I like that cv arent dieing as easy anymore, nice ship upgrade HTC :salute
I've made kills out of icon range with the 5" guns
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »
Make all 5'' manned, i.e. no puffy auto acks  :aok

Auto acks are most frustrating for furballers, not manned 5''

thats what I've always figured.. why IS there even auto-puffy ack to begin with? it never seems to affect bombers anyway until its too late -- it just irritates people in fighters... so just do away with it, and make the guns mannable!   :aok :aok
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.