Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200941 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #1065 on: March 31, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
What armour did the beaufighter have ?

What ENY would it have, higher ENY than Mossie VI ENY 30 ??
Its slower, probably turn worse, and have the same extremly good guns.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1066 on: March 31, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
In AH terms Beaufighter would be inferior to the Mosquito VI in most respects. The Mossie should out climb, out turn and certainly out run it. The Beaufighter was considered a tougher plane, radial-engined and with a stronger airframe. Beaufighters had four Hispanos in the nose and either six wing mounted .303s in the RAF version or four 0.5s in the RAAF version.

The main thing the Beau would have going for it in AH is the option to carry a torpedo. I'll occasionally up a TBM or Ju-88s and try to surprise a task group with a torpedo attack. It is usually suicide of course, but then it often was in RL too. A Beau would make an interesting option to the 88s, only one torp instead of six but it could carry rockets as well as the torp and would have a better chance against fighters.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1067 on: March 31, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
Greebo,

Which do you think will be the better furballer? The Beaufighter or the Whirlwind? Or, will they be more on the flying brick side with the Me410?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1068 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
Greebo,

Which do you think will be the better furballer? The Beaufighter or the Whirlwind? Or, will they be more on the flying brick side with the Me410?
It is not even a contest. The Whirlwind is a pure fighter while the Beau is a Frankenstein made out of previous bomber parts. The Whirlwind may be a surprisingly good fighter for its period and may even be a viable MA ride.

The Beau will be a slow mossie with better damage absorption power, more ammo to the hispanos and some interesting loadouts. I suspect it will be able to turn tighter and slower than a mossie, but the moss is overall a much better fighter. Historically, both did some dogfighting with 109 and 190. I don't have numbers, but the impression that I got was that the Mossies did better. They were certainly not an easy kill and in a many on many engagement could pose a threat to the attakers as well.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1069 on: March 31, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »
The Beau sounds like the 110 we all wish it was for doing all those irritating things to airfields we have come to hate a few 110 drivers for. And then it will HO ad nauseum and sneak up out of the grass and mow your hairy posterior while you are busy with two fighters defending your field. If the Beau driver is sneaky, he brings a Whirlwind buddy to keep everyone off his posterior and a Mossi buddy to stay high and make people paranoid. Think of all the musical HOing that will be going on...... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #1070 on: March 31, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
They will stop after trying to HO a rocket equipped ME410 with mk103 30mms, I wish the Me410 could absorb more damage though. It must be the most vulnerable 2 engine heavy fighter in AH2.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1071 on: March 31, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
They will adapt, especially the Whirly fighters guys.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1072 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
 :rock

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #1073 on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:10 AM »
The role for the beaufighter would probably be something similar to the 110, it is too slow to survive as a pure fighter so the option left is a s a suicide JABO or in the NOE strike missions.
It's not a reason to not add it though, more planes is always better.
Then someone isn't flying enough. This is a plane where you can really test your self as a pilot.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1074 on: April 01, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
:rock

What kind of foul magic is that ?!  :uhoh

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1075 on: April 01, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
Beautiful magic, if he had only photo shopped it against a beta terrain. That might have gotten a few believing....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1076 on: April 01, 2016, 03:32:14 PM »
Not to mention it was used before. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #1077 on: April 01, 2016, 03:41:56 PM »
I would fly this as a pure fighter if they had he 50 cal raf version. Sexy plane tho
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1078 on: April 02, 2016, 01:36:04 AM »
Its odd, you'd think I'd remember having skinned that......

My guess is that if HTC model the Beaufighter they will create an RAF Mk X/RAAF Mk 21 hybrid where the six .303s or four 0.5s wing guns would be a hangar option. They had the same airframe and engines and the only visual difference between the two is a little bump just in front of the cockpit for an auto pilot on the Aussie version. IIRC the Aussie version could also accept US rockets instead of British ones.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1079 on: April 02, 2016, 03:34:15 AM »
I would fly this as a pure fighter if they had he 50 cal raf version. Sexy plane tho
0.5, 303... the MGs are just gravy on top of the quad nose Hispanos.

Sexy, I dont know. It belongs to the category of "so ugly that it is beautiful"...
or in this case, "beautifghter".