Author Topic: P-47M  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-47M
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2009, 01:27:32 AM »
Pontificating, no. Not bothering to remember to check this thread, yes.

You know you're talking a small weight difference between empty weights, right?

Let me post a few stats I had to pull up to double check what I remembered:

P-47M:

Performance of the P-47M-1-RE included a maximum speed of 400 mph at 10,000 feet, 453 mph at at 25,000 feet, and 470 mph at 30,000 feet. Initial climb rate was 3500 feet per minute at 5000 feet and 2650 feet per minute at 20,000 feet. Range (clean) was 560 miles at 10,000 feet. Armament was six or eight 0.50-inch machine guns with 267 or 425 rpg. Weights were 10,432 pounds empty, 13,275 pounds normal loaded, and 15,500 pounds maximum. Dimension were wingspan 40 feet 9 3/8 inches, length 36 feet 4 inches, height 14 feet 7 inches, and wing area 308 square feet.

P-47N:

Performance of the P-47N-5-RE included a maximum speed of 397 mph at 10,000 feet, 448 mph at at 25,000 feet, and 460 mph at 30,000 feet. Initial climb rate was 2770 feet per minute at 5000 feet and 2550 feet per minute at 20,000 feet. Range (clean) was 800 miles at 10,000 feet. Armanent included six or eight 0.50-inch machine guns with 500 rpg and two 1000-lb or three 500-lb bombs or ten 5-inch rockets. Weights were 11,000 pounds empty, 16,300 pounds normal loaded, and 20,700 pounds maximum. Dimension were wingspan 42 feet 7 inches, length 36 feet 4 inches, height 14 feet 7 inches, and wing area 322 square feet.

You'll notice that even with the weight differences, that even at high alt the speed difference is only 10mph (probably from the wing rack drag, FYI). The only climb rate difference is at low alts, and may be accounted for with all the extra fuel weight when testing 47Ns. Even counting JUST the empty weight, it's only 568lbs difference. On one of the heaviest fighters in all of the war. The P-47 doesn't really benefit from super weight savings. It was never designed to be light. However, IF you wanted to fly it light, nothing stops you from taking less fuel. You realize the D40 carries 370 gals internal fuel? That's 2220lbs!!!!! You want to save 500lbs and pretend you have a P-47M, take that much less gas! You also realize that the full ammo load alone weighs over a thousand pounds? If you're THAT concerned about 500 measely pounds on a 10,000 lb plane, you can go from 1054 lbs for full ammo (8 guns) down to 662 lbs for light ammo (8 guns) and if you REALLY want to go nuts, you can drop down to 6 guns light ammo for a whopping total of 431 lbs (saving almost 2/3 the weight of the full guns package!)

So, by complaining that the N is 500lbs heavier than the M "so they just don't compare!" is what I'm getting at. It does compare. You CAN fly an N like it's an M. You load it out the right way, and it's even LIGHTER than an M is!

So I'm not saying "No" to the 47M in this post. I'm pointing out how frakking close the two airframes are, for the folks that claim they're night and day.

Might as well say the 109G2 and 109G6 are night and day. It's comparing apples to apples, and they're coming out almost the same.

Krusty, if Bullhockey was a commodity, you would be the Bill Gates of cow pies.....

Strip out 2 guns, take 25% fuel and you have P-47M performance.... Sure, but only compared to a fully loaded P-47M. Strip out 2 guns from an M, take 25% fuel and the the P-47M will climb at well over 4k/min at sea level. Empty weights are not suitable for comparison. No fuel, no oil, no ammo.... Normal combat weights are what count. At normal weights, the difference is considerable. Your argument defies logic (as if that would be news).

Also, 473 mph reflects wing pylons installed. Without the pylons, speed exceeded 480 mph. Drag differences are directly related to the increased wingspan of the P-47N. 

The following document illustrates the fallacy of you post....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2009, 06:39:42 AM »
"You know you're talking a small weight difference between empty weights, right?"

Hhhmmmm.....well in this thread you bring up the weight issue, arguing over less weight difference than you see between the M and N Jugs:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,258131.msg3198048.html#msg3198048

Here you get worked up about 237 lbs:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,228970.0.html

Here you post a question about "almost 300 pounds of dead weight":

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,197827.0.html

Regarding taking a Jug with reduced fuel, reduced ammo, etc, even YOU remarked on how little combat time it gave.  Check towards the bottom of page 3 in this thread:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,254975.0.html

Here you make mention of "several hundred pounds" overweight:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,247228.0.html

I'm not going to waste any more time going back over the post/threads where you argued about how significant a weight difference was.  The SEARCH feature, shows pretty clearly that your opinion of weight differences is that they are only minor if the aircraft involved isn't a LW ride.

On the other hand, if it's a LW ride, even 60 odd pounds becomes a major issue and HTC needs to review the plane weights.
Make up your mind and stick to one side.  There are a lot of threads where you question and call for correction of weight issues less than 200-300lbs, but ONLY if the plane is a LW bird.  Then in other threads, you say that a almost 1000lb weight difference in a USAAF ride isn't significant.
If weight difference is something to be corrected in one ride, it is something to be addressed in all rides, be the plane RAF, USAAF, LW, VVS, etc.  Quit nit picking the LW rides to death over less than 100 pounds then come here and say what you did about almost half a ton.
Either you're a troll, or Widewing was 100% correct in saying you're a Luftwobble.
Either way, you're posts have lost their informational and entertainment value.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:41:17 AM by eddiek »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »
Hmmm    I have never seen a scenario where an N weighed less than 13k...no bullets, 25% gas (full load ammo in jug is 1000 pounds), STILL weighs over 13k
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline StLouis

• Zinc Member
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
"If this were to be added, I'd change my handle to "Sally", refer to HTC as "Mt Olympus", and name all of the employees therein by their respective Godly names- Zeus for HT, Hera for Mrs.HT, etc.

For it is written that Zeus himself requires scotch, and he shall receive a 12 or 15 year vintage of his choosing upon the arrival of the mighty Pegasus-M model.

That is all"

Now everyone take notes! This is how you get something you want.   :salute to you sir!
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”  ― Mark Twain

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »
Krusty, if Bullhockey was a commodity, you would be the Bill Gates of cow pies.....

My regards,

Widewing

OHHHH SNAP
See Rule #4

Offline nikomon

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »

Strip out 2 guns, take 25% fuel and you have P-47M performance.... Sure, but only compared to a fully loaded P-47M. Strip out 2 guns from an M, take 25% fuel and the the P-47M will climb at well over 4k/min at sea level. Empty weights are not suitable for comparison. No fuel, no oil, no ammo.... Normal combat weights are what count. At normal weights, the difference is considerable. Your argument defies logic (as if that would be news).

Also, 473 mph reflects wing pylons installed. Without the pylons, speed exceeded 480 mph. Drag differences are directly related to the increased wingspan of the P-47N. 

The following document illustrates the fallacy of you post....

(Image removed from quote.)

My regards,

Widewing
beautiful sir  :salute
"INTEGRITY is doing the right thing when no one else is watching."
Flying Since:Tour 87 4/2007
RT KOTH CHAMPION 2009-2010

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »
I am thoroughly entertained by the efforts some people put into their posts, explaining in detail of another person's posts (in history). I think I like this better than "Days of Our Lives" or "As the World Turns". I shall dub this thread, "As the Propellor Rotates" for lack of better name for the nit-picking drama.

:noid
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
I'm just glad this thread got brought back.

Bring on the M  :aok
Deviant

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »

You, sir, are an insulting old fart, who would rather post misleading numbers on reports while jumping to conclusions about my posts, rather than read the point of my post for your own eyes.

My point is and was to counter many many complaints. I have repeatedly said I KNOW the two models are not the same, HOWEVER, the P-47N is damned close to it, if loaded out lightly.

1My point was NEVER to say the 47M and 47N were identical, but I was merely pointing out that folks griping and b****ing that the 47N is nowhere near the 47M .... are liars. My point in comparing EMPTY weights (which you harped about) was only in response to other gripers mentioning differences in empty weights, and my comments as to how that can be corrected with less fuel or ammo or both. It was not an absolute comparison, simply a relative one.

However, since the MIGHTY WideWing has seen fit to dump trash on me, let's examine what's been dumped, shall we? You brought this up, not me.

So let's look at your charts... First off:

I do find it funny that on the surface the 47M only has a few mph over the tested 47N EXCEPT at 32,000feet... oh, wait, it says "32k is estimated"... Funny, that.

However that's not the worst point of the charts you posted. I've checked at least half a dozen references online to get the average numbers for my previous post. Your P-47M numbers line up nicely but 47N are plain wrong.

I don't know what whacky circumstances they used to run those tests, but the only way to reach the specified weights on a P-47N in AH2 for comparison testing is less than 50% fuel and NO AMMO of any kind!! Further, the 47N numbers are significantly lower than most other examples given. These numbers are a red herring. You think "Oh, it's almost 20mph faster!!" but when you look at the real top speed of the 47N it's a far smaller gap. Nothing negative being said about the 47M, just that the implied leap from one to the other is a false one.

Going back to the tested weight... Makes me wonder why they're testing planes "empty" where most wartime test at least have ballast or some kind of notation about this. Also makes me wonder why an empty plane is being tested, especially when the results are slower than most armed planes of the same type. So if the 47N is flown so lightly, how about the 47M? 1/4 gas? NO ammo? No guns?? Note no weight listed for the 47M. No info of any kind listed. Top speeds aren't affected as much by lighter loads, just a couple mph. However, climb rates can drasctically be inflated by reducing weight. So in what condition did the P-47N with a weak engine (sup-par top speed) climb 500fpm faster than a normal 47N? In what condition did this 47M skyrocket at 4000fpm from sea level? It begs the question if the 47N is wrong, what's wrong about the 47M numbers?

Assume the 47M speed numbers are right because they jive with other references. However, the 47N numbers don't.

None of the numbers listed show any resemblance to the AH2 modeled P-47N in any of the climb rates listed. Nor do the speeds match up properly. Even if the speed of the P-47M is correct, the speeds of the P-47N are not.

You'll see at 32k the P-47N in AH (even with more fuel load) reaches the high 460s easily.

Not some made up numbers. These are found in books and online everywhere. So common that HTC used them to model the 47N in-game after whatever test this came from.

I'm going to make my point clearer, using an example:

No look at AH's own climb charts.

You might think the 47N was a worse climber, is the common response. The charts, as we all know, have the 47N carrying more gas. Taking 50% fuel in the 47N and full guns vs the 100% fuel and full guns on the D40, you get the following results:

The 47N outclimbs the 47D40, even when it's a little heavier. Numbers taken in-game, 1k results were oscillating, may not be accurate. You want more comprehensive numbers get 'em yerself, I stopped at 10k for simplicity's sake.

But this test is unrelated, right? It's not directly related, but I'm going somewhere with this:

You can see that the widely-known-better-climbing D40 is actually outperformed when similar loadouts are taken. Now you can extrapolate from the top speeds on the 47M and the top speeds on the 47N, that when similarly loaded, weight-wise, they will perform very close to each other. However the 47N would apparently still have a better rate of roll due to the squared wingtips.

Let me quote my own post, that you dumped crap all over because you thought I somehow personally insulted you (I'm still confused on that).

maximum speed of 397 mph at 10,000 feet, 448 mph at at 25,000 feet, and 460 mph at 30,000 feet. Initial climb rate was 2770 feet per minute at 5000 feet and 2550 feet per minute at 20,000 feet.

WOW! Imagine that!!! I was 100% right!!! Gee whiz! But, wait... what was that I said about the P-47M?

400 mph at 10,000 feet, 453 mph at at 25,000 feet, and 470 mph at 30,000 feet. Initial climb rate was 3500 feet per minute at 5000 feet and 2650 feet per minute at 20,000 feet.

So, not counting your wonky climb rates, guess what?? I'm right again! By your own charts!!! SO WHAT'S WITH ALL THE watermelon YOU THROW MY WAY??? You never even READ my threads before dumping on them. In the F7F thread you totally blew a gasket because I quoted the article YOU provided for us to read! My GOD man!! Somebody actually READING something and commenting on it?!? Please show me where I've warranted the abuse you throw in response to my posts? Do you simply take offense at my mere presence in your favorite topic? Please tell me, so that I may avoid anything you ever post!

Frankly, widewing, I really love most of the input you give to the community, but lately I'm really getting pissed off at your attitude towards me, and your inability to read what I post (and comprehend what I'm posting) BEFORE you jump down my throat. You've been extremely rude to me on several occasions recently, and that never used to be the case.

As for Bronk, your "ankle-hump-anybody-you-think-insults-Krusty" act gets old. Please drop it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »
EddieK, your post has no bearing on this topic at all. This thread's current discussion was revolving around 2 separate planes and how one is closely similar to the other.

All of the other threads you have brought up are completely different threads about correcting flight model related issues. They are not comparing one plane to another, and you know this. You seem to be attempting to discredit me for previous threads I've posted on other subjects with no relation to the current topic. If you want to insult me please be open about it so the moderators can see it and remove the post.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2009, 01:03:06 AM »
This thread is still going.............

WIDEWING..... No offense but there are 6 spelling errors in that "scan."  NO WAY an American typed that up.  Much less an officer of the Army Air Corp..... Much less anybody else involved in any way with the S Military.  We didnt invent the language and an enlisted man being caught spelling like that would suffer, much less the "smart" people.

[ Fake Image Removed ]

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:06:04 AM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:43 AM »
With all due respect, spelling in the USA has always been haphazard in my experience.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »
EZ fer u to say Uropeean!!!   :aok

With all due respect, spelling in the USA has always been haphazard in my experience.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »
I'm not european...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
EddieK, your post has no bearing on this topic at all. This thread's current discussion was revolving around 2 separate planes and how one is closely similar to the other.

All of the other threads you have brought up are completely different threads about correcting flight model related issues. They are not comparing one plane to another, and you know this. You seem to be attempting to discredit me for previous threads I've posted on other subjects with no relation to the current topic. If you want to insult me please be open about it so the moderators can see it and remove the post.

Krusty, oh Esteemed One.......I have no need to discredit you.  You do it to yourself.  I merely point out your clearly pro-LW or Anti-Allied bias, put it into perspective for all to see.  My post was clearly stated, the links proved my points.  Weight, be it under or over, IS a flight model issue. 
How that ties into THIS thread is plain enough for most people to see, but I will point it out just for you:  From reading your comments in various threads, if a LW plane is over or under weight, then as little as 60-odd pounds, it is an issue that needs to be resolved, a "flight model related issue".
If the plane isn't LW, 500lbs and more is "damned close".....are you seeing now how you might be perceived as just a bit Anti-Allied?

I doubt any of this will sink in......you see what you want to see when you read others' posts, even when you read WW2-era official documents, then try to twist what you "think" you see into a means of questioning the validity of said documents. 
How so? 
You said "I do find it funny that on the surface the 47M only has a few mph over the tested 47N EXCEPT at 32,000feet... oh, wait, it says "32k is estimated"... Funny, that"

The document says:  "The high speed of the P-47D at 32,000 is estimated, otherwise all performance figures are actual.  All power is at war emergency, plane in combat conditions."
NOWHERE in that statement does it say the M and N figures are estimated....they are actual tested perfomance figures.  From the D's estimated numbers you try to smear the M and N figures to cast doubt as to their validity.

Reading comprehension must not be one of your strengths, I see no other way for you to have posted your remark as something to base your argument upon.
Discredit you?  Not my intent. 
Get you to look at what you post and how it is perceived?  Perhaps.
Weight, be it under or over correct values, IS a flight model related issue.  No matter the plane, be it LW, RAF, USAAF, etc.....if 60lb is an issue worth looking into on a FW190 or a 109, then 60lb should be worth looking into on ANY ride.  My references to you and your past comments was aimed directly at that idea, and how you regard 500 or more lbs as "damned close" for a USAAF plane yet nitpick about 60-odd lbs in a LW ride. 
Think about that one for a moment before you fire off another reply.  Then go read the threads about adding different LW rides and make some  "damned close" remarks like you did in this thread.