Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9177 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
It sucks that HTC isn't doing anything too try and keep them in the game.
The game is only as good as the people participating in it.

Offline JB11

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
999000<----------often wakes up in the middle of the night SREAMING.............109's high 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My thearpist refuses to forward my bill to JB11.
<S>999000
Let's look at it this way, you are the sole reason I've become halfway descent at it!!!  Now there's a positive approach.  If anyone has pinpoint lasers, it's 999000.

:salute 11
Never abandon the possibility of attack. Attack even from a position of inferiority, to disrupt the enemy's plans. This often results in improving one's own position. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »
Don't forget the pathetic tools that vulch shade accounts, they're just as guilty and just as sad.

ack-ack

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

MasonZ what chess piece do you fly on btw?

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
The actual answer is pretty simple....

It's no longer fun for many of us.

Why...

Because we "grew up" in a skill based environment slanted toward individual accomplishment...

What we have now bears almost no semblance to the original public beta beyond the name. A tremendous number of changes have been made in everything from the flight model, bombing methods and "strategy". As the game has dumbed down it has become more and more "gameable". I'll give a single example of what I mean, a few weeks ago I had a small verbal exchange with a bunch of guys from one of the horde monkey squads. Now not all of them are bad sticks, a few are quite capable when flying from the advantage (which isnt always easy) and a few are reasonably capable in a one on one vs an average pilot...

My point is in the fundamental change of the rank and file and typical squad mentality. I'd be embarrassed to fly with them and more and more they hold no interest to fly against. Few of them can hold there own 1 on 1 and most have no interest in getting any better. They hide behind bluster, BS and numbers and more and more of the new players view this as good game play. In part because we have a score/pwn mentality based on a bogus manipulatable system. The "old guard" has been leaving for a long time. The guys who made the AK's a name worthy of respect cant even be bothered to play any more (just one example).

The reality is simple, in a game geared toward the lowest common denominator the highest common denominator tends to leave....just that simple. The heart and soul of this game has been slowly bleeding out for years now.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »
Thankyou Snaphook. I was hoping to hear from you. :salute And thanks to Zazen also. Your views are always on the mark sir.  :salute
Charlie don't surf!

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:47:35 PM »
I think there's also a burn out factor.

I've been here since the last quarter of AH1, so I don't really consider myself an old timer. Even so, this game has held me better than any other computer game I've played. In the past I'd figure on buying a new box of something or other every month to every other month or so. It would take only a few weeks to squeeze the product to the point that I'd beaten it, or found out that I COULDN'tT beat it with the time I wanted to give, or until I just got tired of it. On the other hand, for almost half a decade I've been entertained and challenged with AH.

In the last year I find myself playing less than before, and in the last few months very little at all. In part that's happening because I've lost some of the social contacts that made the game fun (as other guys have left). Some no doubt is just me getting bored of the very things that used to keep me interested...and I bet that's just par for the course, the "natural history" of an AH player.

I'm hoping to find a way to make it new -- flying with different guys, different styles, different goals.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »
Seriously, people leave because they've been at it for years and get burnt out.

And you've personally discussed this with each of them?  Your positive you know exactly why they left?
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
Maybe when they go back to the "good ol' days" they only remember the good fights they've had, never the bad ones. I don't know if there was like 1000s of players on each server of AW, but I would probably have to say, there either wasn't that many people playing AW, or they had many arenas.

I always have, and always will like this game, very fun, and always has been.
There were many arenas.  The caps were low.  There were not open plane set arenas.  Meaning you could choose from differnt Euro arenas or a Pac arenas.  Each arena had its regulars (players) that could be found there.  MW and AVA are the closest thing to that I can think of in AH.  And no, I do not include DA furball lame (and that is not a typo).

The other night when I was on, I overheard a player on range say "be careful, those buffs are probably from the ****** squadron".  I started giggling to myself.  You've got to be freaking kidding me?  That's the idea of skill to be feared?  How pathetic.

Tonight, I was watching a friendly on a P-39, situation well in hand and this other guy comes in about 100mph faster and picks him off.  About a minute later I am reeling in an enemy from 800-600 yards, and its only a matter of seconds until I gain a few more yards and start firing.  Same guy passes, drops into my firing solution line and snags that bogie.  Minute and a half later I see that guy land two kills.  LOL, why even bother playing you dufus?

But that seems to be the attitude.  More and more players are happy being either a blind squirl, or the weasle, and are proud of it. <shrug>

But back to the arena setup.  My comment on the arena split was from the getgo that there will never be the "neighborhoods" that pyro had talked about so long as there are open planeset arenas.  Everyone will go were all planes are available, and it would be more of the same (slums).

Pretty much all of the "issues" have always been there in some form or another.  I don't care how far back you go.  But when it was a case of everyone knowing everyone else in an arena, people tended to behave better.  I do not agree that there is no fun to be had.  I do agree that there is a trend that it seems to be getting harder and harder to come by.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
the game has gone to the pits.
i canceled my account earlier this month.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »
But back to the arena setup.  My comment on the arena split was from the getgo that there will never be the "neighborhoods" that pyro had talked about so long as there are open planeset arenas.  Everyone will go were all planes are available, and it would be more of the same (slums).

IIRC, didn't Mid War used to have like 100+ people on it before the dual Arenas? It's been so long, I may be wrong, but I remember that I used to fly MW a good bit when I first started.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »
There were many arenas.  The caps were low.  There were not open plane set arenas.  Meaning you could choose from differnt Euro arenas or a Pac arenas.  Each arena had its regulars (players) that could be found there.  MW and AVA are the closest thing to that I can think of in AH.  And no, I do not include DA furball lame (and that is not a typo).

yes there did become many arenas, I fondly recall anticipating Next month for the PTOFR to come, always hated ETOFR month, always had a good knowledge of who was who until BigWeek happened and then there was 4 RRs for both ETO/PTO, 1ETOFR, 1 PTOFR, and Bigweek, and noone can forget Fightertown FR Arena, and the DA environment was for real and available in any arena just you and your opponent  1vs 1 once you initiated the duel 

Pretty much all of the "issues" have always been there in some form or another.  I don't care how far back you go.    But when it was a case of everyone knowing everyone else in an arena, people tended to behave better.  I do not agree that there is no fun to be had.  I do agree that there is a trend that it seems to be getting harder and harder to come by.

purty much 2nd this whole quote.......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:24:01 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
The point was, it doesn't matter what "other" arenas are setup, Pacific, Eastern and Western Europe, Early, Midwar, whatever.  As long as there is an open planeset arena, that's where the herd will be.  And the hordes, and the lameness of anonymity.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
I think the game is better than ever. I don't know why they are leaving. Only they can tell you that. Personally the only thing that gets me depressed are these threads that constantly bash the game. I have the utmost confidence in Hitech that any improprieties will be resolved and that the game will continually be evolved. When I get bored or when I get a bad attitude I take a break. When I come back it's all new to me. In spite of all that hullabaloo raised over the last couple of months over about everything Bish are still Bish, Rooks are still Rooks, and Knits are still Knits.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:30:05 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
People are just starting to get tired of the same old gameplay. If it were not for me liking the squad I was in, I would probably cancel my account too
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
Oh, It's really not threads bashing the game, it has everything to do with the quality of the bulk of subscribers.