Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9143 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
damn this is strange, I agree with Murdr again, this is not a bashing thread, and if we do not open up and post our thoughts, then how can the Service provider accomadate our desires?

Murdr, thats why I went and highlighted in blue about matching era plane sets or matching theater of operations. the neighborhood thing makes perfect logical sense to me, and I think it would help the whole community.  People could still pick their desired playground to go fight.

that's how I took your post, anyhows.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
if you want my opinion, guys who have been playing for 5 years or so get burned out.  When you are at 10 plus years, you are playing for friends and love of the genre.  Heck at 5 years, I you've done everything so many times there is nothing new...now double that.  The only thing left are friends and the fights.  As mentioned earlier, aces high, over the years has really moved away from the actual fight.  Instead of combat being the main objective with fields being the catalyst, we are at a state where a large focus is getting easy kills in packs, vulching your friend, running for your life at all costs, and grinding out/milking bases in the name of the empire.  When good fights are hard to come by, you are left with chatting with your friends, which isn't all bad...but you not are not left with much in the way of gameplay.  Of course real life obligations also come into play.

AH has changed over the years, some gameplay elements...but the largest part has been the attitude change.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
I've never cared for the open plane set thing either. There's nothing worse for me than to be having a good pony vs 109 fight, just to have 3 spit16s dive in and mess the whole thing up.
This happens most of the time to me. I would love to see more people in the AvA. But it seems everytime i go in there, there's only 3 or 4 guys on.

I was really really hoping CT would happen in hopes that all the stupidy would come to an end.  :salute
Charlie don't surf!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
The problem with threads like these is very simple.   Too many folks clamber and grab to reach the top of the "morality high ground" and get the "right answer that everyone wants to hear."

We all know why they left.   No excuses, no drama, no exceptions.   They left.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
The problem with threads like these is very simple.   Too many folks clamber and grab to reach the top of the "morality high ground" and get the "right answer that everyone wants to hear."

We all know why they left.   No excuses, no drama, no exceptions.   They left.  

well by gosh, I was lied to. I was certian I was told it was all Karaya's fault!  :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
well by gosh, I was lied to. I was certian I was told it was all Karaya's fault!  :D

Sup Teslaman.    ;)    How many know that?    It's this type of crap that keeps some of us here.    Most nowadays don't care.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
IIRC, didn't Mid War used to have like 100+ people on it before the dual Arenas? It's been so long, I may be wrong, but I remember that I used to fly MW a good bit when I first started.

No.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
Lately several old timers have put their planes up in the hanger for good. And a few others have said they're close to doing the same. This bothers me. I feel like the old guard is leaving in masses, taking with them skill and class that this game sorely needs.

Most of them say they don't like the way the game is turning. But what does that mean? Is it the large maps,split arenas,hordes,smack taking,hoing, running,toolshedding,vulching,and milking?
Is it all of those things,just one or a combination of things? Is it the negative vibes on these boards. The witch hunts and shade vulchers. Or has the game just run its' cotomato with them and they just want to move on.

I suspect they are tired of the gangs and the dogeatdog mentallity of the MA. Folks more worried about ranks and K/D or K/S. I wasn't around for AW. But from the things I've read from them about it, 1 on 1 fights were the norm and all the stuff i listed above didn't exist. They just didn't do it for the most part. I came in as AH1 was ending and it was always a massive hoarde on one huge map. So to me the MA mentallity has always been insane most of the time.

So my question is, why do you think they're leaving. Is it the player base or the game itself.

i think it's a little of everythign you've mentioned. i think a lot of the more skilled players, have spent a lot of time trying to teach the new guys, only to have the new guys blow em off, and fall into the hotard hordes.
 it's nearly impossible to find a fight that someone won't ho ya in. when you try to avoid, and they clean your clock, they say it wasn't a ho, because you turned your nose away from them.
 if you were one of these oldtimers, and spent countless hours of your valuable time trying to teach something, and the guys you taught, didn't do a dam thing you taught em, but rather went on a ho'in rampage, how would you feel?
 then ya have the guys that refuse to fight unless there's 20 of their buddies, and only a few of you.

i wish so many of em weren;'t leaving, as it makes guys like me that already have limited time ingame, less likely go log on. why would i if i'm only gonna get raped, ho'd or rammed?

anyway...i could be wrong, but that's just my 2 cents.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
C'mon guys, this is a video game.  At some point ALL OF US will leave.  Even the game itself will end one day.  That's life.  Things change, people come and go.  Nothing last forever.

Duuuust in the wiiiind :rock
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2009, 10:00:32 PM »
With the down turn in the economy hitting people world wide the first thing to go is a monthly fee on entertainment.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
Sup Teslaman.    ;)    How many know that?    It's this type of crap that keeps some of us here.    Most nowadays don't care.   

lets see, that was what 4 or 5 yrs ago, I doubt 6,000+ of the newcomers ( some stayed some left ) never even heard of the effort........ is as well part of reason I stick around , myself ~S~

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
The actual answer is pretty simple....

It's no longer fun for many of us.

Why...

Because we "grew up" in a skill based environment slanted toward individual accomplishment...

What we have now bears almost no semblance to the original public beta beyond the name. A tremendous number of changes have been made in everything from the flight model, bombing methods and "strategy". As the game has dumbed down it has become more and more "gameable". I'll give a single example of what I mean, a few weeks ago I had a small verbal exchange with a bunch of guys from one of the horde monkey squads. Now not all of them are bad sticks, a few are quite capable when flying from the advantage (which isnt always easy) and a few are reasonably capable in a one on one vs an average pilot...

My point is in the fundamental change of the rank and file and typical squad mentality. I'd be embarrassed to fly with them and more and more they hold no interest to fly against. Few of them can hold there own 1 on 1 and most have no interest in getting any better. They hide behind bluster, BS and numbers and more and more of the new players view this as good game play. In part because we have a score/pwn mentality based on a bogus manipulatable system. The "old guard" has been leaving for a long time. The guys who made the AK's a name worthy of respect cant even be bothered to play any more (just one example).

The reality is simple, in a game geared toward the lowest common denominator the highest common denominator tends to leave....just that simple. The heart and soul of this game has been slowly bleeding out for years now.

HiTech would say that it is you that have changed and not the game....Hold on I'll go pull a quote :)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
I think the game is better than ever. I don't know why they are leaving. Only they can tell you that. Personally the only thing that gets me depressed are these threads that constantly bash the game. I have the utmost confidence in Hitech that any improprieties will be resolved and that the game will continually be evolved. When I get bored or when I get a bad attitude I take a break. When I come back it's all new to me. In spite of all that hullabaloo raised over the last couple of months over about everything Bish are still Bish, Rooks are still Rooks, and Knits are still Knits.
I see it as more of a player bashing thread.

I was quite interested in everyones replys. Crap wasn't in the conversation until you brought it in. It would be nice for just once to have a mature discussion without a smart tomato comment from you. But i guess that's too much to ask. Thanks for the comments tomatohat :salute

and i didn't type tomato!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:07:03 PM by uptown »
Charlie don't surf!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »
I agree with the other "old timers" Murdr, TC, Snap Its the game play mentality that is dragging the game down. Today far to many people are hey trying to play this game like a "Quake"type game. Fast action, shoot shoot shoot till you die trying to garner as many points as you can then repeat. The old game mentality was based more on the history the game represented. The trill of out maneuvering the opponent and get a guns solution, and going for it.

Example.... couple days ago a certain bish squad had snuck in and grabbed a couple of bases behind the front aways. I saw the dar start flashing and figured they were looking to add to the group. I along with 3 other guys upped some fighters. I was in a spit8, the other I didn't have time to check. Dots just now starting to pop for some altitude... 5...12... 20 ! 110s, 38s spits wide assortment of planes Starting to look like a good fight right? Wrong. I pop two 110s over the town when a spit gets me, I up again and get vulched, again same. Fights over 3 or 4 minute later they capture the base. I asked on 200 why the 4 of us scared them so much they had to vulch us with 5 to 1 odds..... didn't get an answer from them, just a dork who wasn't even in the fight mouthing off. 20 minutes later the bases the bish had taken were all recaptured because it was no longer a cake walk for these guys so they left to look for another quit spot on the map to sneak more bases.

These bish have the quake mentality...grab grab grab, and runaway as soon as it looks like they might get shot down, or have to work for it. The old days, Bish would have been congratulated for the sneak, and it would have been an all night affair to dig them out of there. It would have been an epic battle. Todays player looks for the quick easy kills, cherry pick, ho gang bang in a horde where they won't get shot back at, then get his 2 and runs for home to get his name in lights. There are far to many "mouths" in this game that get away with far too much BS. This in turn shows the newer players "how its done" so they become cut from the same mold.

I'm 50 years old, been flying for over 12 years, both AW and AH. I'd love the chance to get tired of the same old game play, unfortunately the game play hasn't stayed the same long enough. Things change, unfortunately this time its going down hill.

Some of you people laugh when one of us talks about "honor", "its a game," they say" I'll play the way I want to!" Whats wrong with honor in a game? Whats wrong with a little class? Whats wrong with some sportsmanship? All of that is missing these days. Dallas Stars had one of those "mouthy" types playing for them... they are now the laughing stock of the NHL, even his own teammates threw him under the bus. The good people, the honest people, the classy people are the ones leaving, and we are all going to be a bit poorer for it. Recently someone got spotlighted for padding his score. This isn't a new trend, its been going on for months, but now with the new score board sorting its easily proven.

This is the type of players we have now. People who don't give something like "padding their score" a second thought. Diving in on a good 1 vs 1 fight, porking factories NOT for hurting the strat and resupply times, to pad their score. Taking bases behind enemy lines NOT for a foot hold or to start a fight, but to sneak as many bases as they can so they cam pat themselves on the back for their milk running. No class, No honor, no sportsmanship, and no fun.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
I was quite interested in everyones replys. Crap wasn't in the conversation until you brought it in. It would be nice for just once to have a mature discussion without a smart tomato comment from you. But i guess that's too much to ask. Thanks for the comments tomatohat :salute

uptown, sir, you are way way way off base with this one, better spit out a hidden hook you never saw, when you bit!  ;)