Author Topic: Why is the quality so poor in my films?  (Read 824 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Why is the quality so poor in my films?
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
This is the 3rd one I've done and they all look like crap. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Why is the quality so poor in my films?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
http://www.vimeo.com/help/compression

I have no idea what settings you're using for your video.  'Plus' members on Vimeo have access to higher quality video being displayed.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »
I would guess that Windows Movie Maker doesn't have better export filters.

As for the film, it's not all that bad. There could be some improvements on the part of your exterior views. It seems you're zoomed in a bit too close at times preventing the viewer from seeing your opponent. While those occurrences were rare, there is one that was more common. I can understand why you use this option over others as I understand making films is quite time-consuming. However, you were constantly moving the camera around in exterior mode. Once you stopped you would begin moving the camera again within just a few seconds.

As suggestions for future projects you might want to experiment with smooth-panning and planning ahead of time which angle you want and where you want it to go. That will help eliminate the constant moving. There are those exceptions though where you want to simulate the fast-paced action by moving the camera rapidly to pursue your opponent. However I would use that feature when your film is about a 1-on-1.

Here are a few more suggestions to help spice up your film. Play with the, "Setup Camera Shots" feature. It makes for some dazzling camera effects if played correctly. Add sound-effects to help increase the immersion of the viewer actually being in the film flying the plane(s). (Yeah, wouldn't have worked too well with this one, music was a bit loud.) Remove Icons, it makes things more interesting. (I would only do that if you get your quality issues fixed.)

Overall it was an average yet entertaining Aces High film. :aok

Thanks for sharing, and don't wait too long until your next submission.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
yeah windows movie maker is no good with aces high for some reason. it works better with Il2, dont ask me why.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
I changed the FPS settings, turned off icons, and am in the process now of setting up camera angles. The quality has improved but still not what I want. I think if I get into this(which I will),i'll have to buy some good software  i.e. Sony Vegas. Also, what is Fraps and is is free? :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »
uptown, when capturing your clips from the AH film viewer, do it at 1/4 speed then readjust the speed with your editor. You quality will get alot better. also when rendering with WMM you can increase the quality but you cant do HD. WMM is good to learn on but tends to have bad bad vid quality.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:00:09 AM by reeb »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
Reeb, I believe capturing at 1/4 speed and increasing the speed in the film editor only increases frame rates, not quality.

FRAPS is for capturing video from within games or you can use it to capture the film directly from the AH FV. However since you have managed to export the film without troubles I wouldn't recommend buying it. As you yourself said, if you want to get into this, which you're certain you will, get Sony Vegas. The walls of possibilities collapse to show you a new room with more features. ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:39:33 AM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
The 1/4 speed thing solves the jerkiness problem.  That is, your video looks like it stutters all the time (see 1plus44's videos).  This does not give u a better quality per se.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
Well are your in game settings maxed in game?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
Well are your in game settings maxed in game?
Yes
The 1/4 speed thing solves the jerkiness problem.  That is, your video looks like it stutters all the time (see 1plus44's videos).  This does not give u a better quality per se.
I found I could use the #keys to change views. It seems to solve the jerky problems.

Reeb,I seen a movie you done a couple of years ago and it was quite good.Was that done with WMP or purchased software?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
The jerkiness is caused by the hardships Fraps puts onto your computer when recoridng.  This lowers your normal viewing FPS.  Changing views isn't really going to do anything unless you are using a view that has low detail in it (that is, the sky with no ground in the shot).  If your Fraps recording FPS number is below 30 FPS, you're going to have a jerky movie.

Now if we're talking warpiness, where a plane moves back and forth about 5-10 feet rapidly and continously, thats a ah film bug.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:49 AM »
Well if you're using the fim veiwer to export your avi's there's the first problem. Fraps is the best way to get the highest quality film. A short 1 minute clip recorded with fraps that is "raw" and high quality will be well over 1 gig in size. Then you take that raw film and edit it with a good editing software.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
I've came to the conclusion that AH2 film viewer and WMP are not the way to go if you want quality. I've downloaded Fraps and will buy Sony Vegas.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
Well if you're using the fim veiwer to export your avi's there's the first problem. Fraps is the best way to get the highest quality film. A short 1 minute clip recorded with fraps that is "raw" and high quality will be well over 1 gig in size. Then you take that raw film and edit it with a good editing software.

Fraps recordings are anything from 'raw' or 'uncompressed'.  Though they are a large file size, they are still encoded with the 'Fraps codec.'  I cannot say this for the 'Save Output as AVI' method in the AH film viewer since I've never done it to see if it outputs with a compressed codec.  Though IIRC, the Save Ouput as AVI is limited in pixel size to 640x480 being the max.  While Fraps records video at the resolution of the window it is playing in, which gives it a higher pixel count.

Offline Niros

• Copper Member
      • http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:55 AM »
Hello Uptown.

As Den said, you should work a bit with Camera Shots ( world pointing & world relative - are nice).
I'm glad you "hate" 262's as i do  :D
As you noticed , if you're too close to the plane , the pilot disapears.

You're a good stick in the pony (nice skin btw) ... i just hope to have a good fight with you when we'll meet eachother in the sky.

:salute
+Sorin+
My YouTube movies:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NirosAH2